Profile for Mr. B. J. Roberts > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. J. Roberts

Mr. B. J. Roberts "bazza83"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Zombie Virus On Mulberry Street [DVD] [2007]
Zombie Virus On Mulberry Street [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Nick Damici
Offered by Qoolist

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor title, 2 July 2010
The film is actually called just; "Mulberry Street", this was sadly lumbered with the clunky "zombie virus on Mulberry Street" for its UK release. It also doesn't actually have any zombies in it, its a virus carried by rats. But lets not get bogged down in details.
As a film it has a gritty, authentic feel to it, that reminds me of independant 70's cinema. Light on dialogue and heavy on social commentary this starts as more of a drama than horror film and has a slow burning, measured pace. But halfway through, the rat people/zombies/infected start to terrorise the residents of a tower block and there is some good and quite gruesome action scenes, as the characters whom we have been introduced to in some depth are picked off.

Its clear to see the budget limitations; the lack of any recognisable actors, limited sets and locations and some ropey looking CGI, but it does a good job with what it has and is a good example of inventive low budget filmmaking. Its also refreshing to see a zombie film with a complete lack of guns, the characters in the film are from the poor areas of town and have no access to weaponry, so use whatever they have handy.

If your expecting lots of zombie action, you'll may be dissapointed, but this is an interesting and refreshing film, in a genre that is well trodden.

Avatar [DVD]
Avatar [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sam Worthington
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine a minority opinion, 24 May 2010
This review is from: Avatar [DVD] (DVD)
I know I'll be shot down for this review and I know that I am in a small minority when I say this.... but I thought Avatar was terrible.
To start with, I admit that the special effects were amazing, there can be no argument there. But as I've said before, nice effects do not a good film make. This was clearly a case of style over substance.

The story is hardly original, a mish mash of 'Dances with Wolves,' 'Emerald Forest,' and 'Fern Gully' and if anyone has read the 1950's sci fi story 'Call me Joe,' they will see that 'Avatar' bears more than a passing resemblance. The script is dire, filled with nearly every cinematic cliche and the characters were horribly one dimensional; you'd think that after spending that much time and that amount of money making the film , someone would make a suggestion to throw a couple of quid at a script doctor to do a quick rewrite. Nearly all the actors involved have all given much better performances in much better films, but one gets the impression that solid acting was not very high on the agenda. The pacing was leisurely sometimes bordering on the wrong side of boring and I don't think the action was particularly inspiring either.

By now you probably get the idea that I didn't enjoy 'Avatar,' as much as everyone else. Because after you get over the initial oohs and aahs of the 3D, you - or at least I - realise that this is little more than an advert for 3D technology and not a particularly good film. I feel like James Cameron didn't really care about the mechanics of good storytelling and good film making, and more about filling the screen with eye candy. Indeed, I felt like I was watching a very long video game.

There were far better films in 2009, like 'Hurt Locker' - which deservedly beat 'Avatar' at the Oscars - and there were far better sci fi films such as 'District 9' which are far more worthy of praise and adulation.

And one more thing "UNOBTANIUM"!!!!!! Give me a break!!
Comment Comments (23) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2015 8:47 PM BST

WET (Xbox 360)
WET (Xbox 360)
Offered by Yellow Bulldog Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars WET, 6 May 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: WET (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
For fans of Max Payne and Stranglehold, you'll have a blast!!! WET is an unashamedly old fashioned shooter that is incredibly over the top, as your character leaps tall buildings and dispatches bad guys with two pistols and a huge sword, and made up to look like a grindhouse picture.

True there are better FPS's out there and there are better graphics, but it plays really well and its easy to get to grips with and it's a game you'll go back to when you have a little free time to kill.

The one big negative for me though is the infamous plane level where having leapt from an exploding plane, you have to dodge falling debris and retrieve a parachute. This level takes the word "Frustration" to an entirely new level. In fact, I would have given the game four stars but for this level. Over an hour later and I still can't get past it, how did the developers think this was any good???

In short, WET is limited but great fun.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2010 1:44 PM GMT

A Fair Cop
A Fair Cop
by Michael Bunting

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fair Cop?, 14 Mar. 2010
This review is from: A Fair Cop (Paperback)
The true story of PC Michael Bunting, sentenced to time in prison for common assault while acting in self defence against a violent drunk he was trying to arrest.

As a debut writer, Michael Bunting shows some skill, keeping a good pace throughout and clearly and concisely describing life on the inside. The second half of the book - dealing with his sentence - is a lot stronger than the first, which concerns his life as a police officer. I managed to read this book in just a couple of days, which is testament to his writing.

The story is a truly breathtaking and sometimes harrowing account of a miscarriage of justice. It does beg belief that the CPS could convict on such flimsy and contradicting evidence, a medical report stated that the man PC Bunting was alleged to have assaulted, sustained no injury, while PC Bunting sustanined a concussion, broken teeth and blurred vision, yet his attacker was only given community service! Britain is supposed to have a criminal justice system that is the envy of the world, this book does wonder if that is the case.

Everyone involved in the criminal justice system should read this book and hang there heads in shame.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (Xbox 360)
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (Xbox 360)

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot reccommend, 9 Feb. 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I was looking forward to this having been a big fan of the original on the PC. I'd heard it wasn't that good so I put off purchasing it. I finally gave into temptation and bought it. Wish I'd never bothered.
Firstly, if you're a casual gamer; don't bother playing it, it is very difficult if you don't know what you're doing.

The controls are awkward, the AI poor, (why is my man running forward in the middle of a firefight?) and contrary to popular belief its not that realistic. You die after a couple of shots - which is fine - but I've just unloaded half a clip at an enemy from about twenty yards, the sight turns red which means I've hit him, but for some reason the gunfire hasn't even affected him!!
I'm currenlty stuck on mission where I have to hold an LZ. This pits my four man team against semingly a batallion of enemy, I have no fire support, can't call in any artillery and my team fail to notice the three enemies running from the right and shooting at them. Hardly realistic is it!

This feels like an incredibly lazy game and the programmers haven't kept up with the times. As far as I can tell there is no real advancement from the first game. They can and should do a whole lot better.

POOR!!!!

Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360)
Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by PARTYGAMES UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all I hoped for, 6 Dec. 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I loved "Left 4 Dead," who doesn't love the zombie apocalypse and blasting the undead to pieces!! I couldn't wait for the sequel!!! Anyone hoping for a vast improvement on the first though, will be left sadly dissapointed with "Left 4 Dead 2". The game is still great fun and not much has changed with the gameplay, which is good in a way, so I don't have to get my head around a new control system, but the game just seems far to similar to the first. There are a few more guns to pick from as well as handheld weapons and my favourite; the chainsaw (Nice!!!). There are also a new batch of special infected to fight, but I'm not a fan; chargers, jockeys and spitters, they lack imagination if you ask me and just prove to be an irritant. The new characters as well, they lack.....character!! There is no Bill or Francis here, just four stock characters lacking in any memorable characteristics or sparkling dialogue as with the first installment.

I love the deep south setting and there are some great levels - Hard rain for instance takes place in the middle of a storm. The game is graphically better than the first and also a lot harder this time around. Even on easy setting the entire group died when a 'charger' knocked us all off a bridge! And even when I managed to get to the rescue helicopter, while waiting for my fellow survivors to climb aboard a 'tank' followed me in and pummelled me to death!! Hardly sporting!! The leap in difficulty is too great as well. I admit, I play some levels on easy (because I'm not that good and this allows me to stay alive longer) but when I play it on a more advanced level, there seems to be a horde every minute, the attack is just relentless! And if you are playing single player this usually means you die!!

Because where this game is badly let down, is with the AI of the survivors; it truly is ABYSMAL. They seem to be very fond of just walking off in the wrong direction!! The rest of the group will not take a single step unless you move ahead first, it is inevitably you who will get jumped by the numerous special infected, and many times I've been grabbed by these special infected while the rest of the group simply sits there and watches.

Someone said in an earlier review that this would have been more appropriate as downloadable content, and I tend to agree, I don't think there is enough new to the game to justify another forty quid and the few niggling problems (especialy the AI!!!) let the game down. I do get the feeling this was rushed out for Christmas!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2010 9:39 AM GMT

Fear 2: Project Origin (Xbox 360)
Fear 2: Project Origin (Xbox 360)
Offered by PROGAMES

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't FEAR its not that scary, 1 Nov. 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I'd played the original FEAR on the PC and Xbox and had always been a fan, so when I played a quick demo of the sequel, I thought it would be a worthwhile investment. Its a decent enough game, but I'm afraid thats it. The graphics are better, it probably plays a little better and you do get to control a huge, power armoured robot, which is a highlight. Its not scary... atmospheric, but theres no fear. Combat is pretty good, but I've played better.
The biggest drawback for me however is that I can only walk around not knowing where I'm going for so long before I get bored. In all its only a slight improvement on the first and you don't get to weild two guns like in the first!!! And also, whats with the enemies that just don't die?? After a short while, this becomes hugely frustrating. I had hoped for so much better. FEAR 2 is worth a punt but there are better FPS's out there.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Indy that I remember, 9 Aug. 2009
I grew up with Indy, he's one of those few characters that everyone of a certain age looks back at with fondness. I still remember my parents taking me to see Temple of Doom when I was a very young lad. When I heard the news of a new Indy film I was excited. But also worried. Would this be another ill advised attempt to rehash an 80's franchise for a modern audience? Die Hard 4 was woeful, Rambo misfired. Only Rocky Balboa made a successful comeback.

Indy IV is not as bad as I had feared, but neither is it as good as I had hoped. The tone of the film is unchanged; very old fashioned action and very Saturday matinee, it's a fun film, a perfect Saturday nights entertainment. The action is quite good and Harrison has proved he's not over the hill just yet. Indy has always been a little far fetched and while I was younger, I could happily suspend disbelief. But there are some bits of the Indy IV that are just plain ludicrous and they ask you to suspend disbelief that little bit too much. And the ending... well, that is TOO MUCH!!!

Also, there are just too many characters. Ray Winstone turns up... and does nothing. Then Jim Broadbent turns up in the Denholm Elliot role...and does nothing. Then up pops John Hurt... who does nothing. Then comes the return of Karen Allen, just so the audience can go; "hey look! It's Marion!" And she too... does nothing.

Only Shia Labeuf has his moments to shine. And shine he does. I was worried that Labeuf's `Mutt' would be another one of those annoying offspring; that serve only to take screen time away from the main character (such as with the awful Rick O'Conell junior in Mummy 3). But Labeuf is actually quite good as Indy Junior and takes the required back seat to Ford. He also has a well choreographed duel with Kate Blanchett - the only other cast member who is given anything to do - that is both fun and creative.

Indy IV is not a patch on Raiders or Temple of Doom, but it was never going to be, our rose tinted glasses would never allow it! In my day, Indy was tougher and funnier, but Indy IV is not the painful experience I had once feared.

UFC 2009: Undisputed (Xbox 360)
UFC 2009: Undisputed (Xbox 360)
Offered by zoverstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating and a little repetitive, 10 July 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
You can't beat a good fighting game and after playing a free demo of UFC Undisputed, it seemed like great fun and a must for all fans of UFC.

The graphics are amazing and the animation of the fighters truly astounding. And you can't beat having a throwdown in the ring with your mate.

However after a few days of solid fighting, I have to say its getting a little repetitive. Every fight seems to go the same way; KO. I've rarely been the full three rounds and never managed to get a submission and the how-to guide is pitifully brief and lacks depth. Fighting from the ground is a pain, if an opponent gets you down its difficult to get back up, and again; the guide is hardly helpful.

Career mode frustrates me also. There are only six disciplines and there doesn't seem to be much too variety with any of them. I've found with many fighting games that allow you to build your own fighter, its difficult to get good enough, quickly enough. You have time between fights to spar and train and add points to your skills, but by the time I'm ten fights in, my average fighter is up against main event fighters and I am quickly dispatched. I'm fighting one brazilian fighter and no matter what I do, he takes me to the mat and its game over inside round one every time.

Overall its a fun game with truly amazing graphics, but sadly lacks the depth required of mixed martial arts. If you can pick it up cheap, its worth a few quid to have an enjoyable punch up, but I'm left feeling a little underwhelmed.

Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360)
Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Turbotrance

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and pretty dull., 13 Dec. 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
"One of the best games of the year," I'd heard this described as before I shelled out my hard earned. If this is the best, whats the worst???

Where to start? Well for one it gets terribly boring terribly fast - especially the driving element of the game. The malaria angle too, where you have to take pills to stave off the disease, gets tedious after a short while. The game lacks a backstory that keeps me gripped and makes me want to keep playing - look at "Gears of War", "COD4" or "Dead Space" for good examples - I seem to spend most of the time wandering around aimlessly trying to find a location on the pitifully vague map. And why can my guy only run for a few feet before getting knackered?

Drive for miles, blast some guys a roadblock, drive some more, shoot some more guys to complete mission, drive miles back, get lost, blast some guys at a roadblock.... You get the picture.

Considering the first "Far Cry" was one of the most enjoyable FPS I have played, the action here is pretty dull, its sometimes impossible to tell where you are being attacked from especially when being attacked from multiple sides.

People may say "ah yes, but its terribly realistic." To which I say "ah yes, but its a game." If I wanted realism, I would have joined the army. I like my character to have a fighting chance, not be picked off by an enemy I can't even see. And how come the enemy can hit me from five hundred yards with only a shotgun?

Don't believe the hype "Far Cry 2" is not that good and is certainly not he best game I have played this year. "Gears of War 2" or "Fallout 3" are far better. In fact, I think the first "Far Cry" is better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2008 1:08 AM GMT