Profile for rossuk > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Postmillennialism, An Eschatology of Hope
Postmillennialism, An Eschatology of Hope
by Keith A. Mathison

5.0 out of 5 stars The clearest explanation of postmillennialism I know, 18 Sep 2011
Mathison has given us the clearest explanation of postmillennialism that I know, and yet I was not convinced, however it did convince me that the gospel will reach every nation, tribe and peoples and languages (Rev 7:9).

Postmillennialism expects that the gospel will be successful in winning a majority of people to faith in Christ, such that righteousness will triumph over evil.

My first conclusion after evaluating the claims of postmillennialism is how clear scripture is about the extent, scope and indeed the success of the great commission. God sent Jesus to save the world, who in turn commanded his disciples to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth. Scripture makes it clear that the gospel will penetrate not only all nations but all languages, tribes and peoples as well. It also shows these same people groups in heaven (Rev 7:9), thus fulfilling God's covenant with Abraham that "all peoples on earth will be blessed" through him (Gen 12:3). Ethnic Jews will be converted and usher in a period of great blessing for the church (Rom 11:12). Satan was defeated at the cross and his kingdom is being progressively plundered. The New Testament parables make it clear that the kingdom of heaven will be fully distributed among the nations like yeast in dough (Mat 13:33) and that although, with small beginnings, it will become large (Mat 13:32). Scripture is also clear that Jesus reigns and has authority on earth now and that the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power (1 Cor 15:24).

Some of the clearest passages on the size of the kingdom come from the Old Testament "Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession" (Psa 2:8). "All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him" (Psa 22:27). "The nobles of the nations assemble as the people of the God of Abraham, for the kings of the earth belong to God; he is greatly exalted " (Psa 47:9). "All kings will bow down to him and all nations will serve him" (Psa 72:11). "But the rock that struck the statue became a huge mountain and filled the whole earth." (Dan 2:35). "It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure forever" (Dan 2:44). Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end (Isa 9:7). "for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea" (Isa 11:9). "all mankind will come and bow down before me," says the LORD " (Isa 66:23)

I am not quite so convinced of the numerical success or the success in reducing wars or human greed. However the belief that the conversion of the Jews will bring in a new era, so far unseen in human history, indicates that there is as yet uncharted future blessing ahead (see Rom 11:12, 15, 31).

Overall, however, for anyone with an interest in eschatology this is a must read book, I was not convinced but it made me think.

For a good introduction to amillennialism see Kim Riddlebarger A Case for Amillennialism: Understanding the End Times
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2012 7:32 PM GMT

Believing God: Studies on Faith in Hebrews 11 (Biblical Classics Library)
Believing God: Studies on Faith in Hebrews 11 (Biblical Classics Library)
by R. T. Kendall

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 studies on faith in Hebrews 11, 18 Sep 2011
R T Kendall succeeded Martyn Lloyd-Jones as minister at Westminster Chapel London in 1977, the title 'Believing God' came from Dr Lloyd-Jones. And Kendall preached 37 sermons on Hebrews 11 starting in October 1977. These 30 essays are adapted from these sermons. Kendal is at pains to remind us that the writer of the Epistle was more concerned about the nature of faith itself than about these people of faith. As ever Hebrews 11 makes very good sermon material and this book is a must read for anyone preparing a sermon on Heb 11 or anyone who has an interest in this chapter.

King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust Modern Translations?: Can You Trust the Modern Translations?
by James R. White
Price: 8.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtedly the best book on this, sometimes, divisive issue., 17 Sep 2011
In my lifetime I have graduated from the RSV (the Relatively Sound Version), to the NIV and now the ESV. Now thanks to computer technology my bible is linked to the Greek and Hebrew and the LXX. Frankly, I throw my hands up in despair when I see a Gideon's KJV in my hotel room, written in the archaic language of 400 years ago. There are much better translations available today in modern English. James White brings some sanity to this issue, and is still the best book I know on this issue.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2013 1:25 PM GMT

Why Does God Allow Suffering?
Why Does God Allow Suffering?
by Martyn Lloyd-Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars A reprint of "Why does God allow War?" (1939), 17 Sep 2011
This is not the usual treatise on the problem of evil, but a series of sermons published at the start of WWII in 1939. As usual this little book will suit those of a reformed disposition or those already familiar with the doctors writings. Chapters are:

1. Man in the presence of God (1 Tim 2:8) about prayer
2. Facing the unexpected (Judges 13:22-23)
3. The mystery of God's ways (Isaiah 45:15)
4. Why does God allow war? (James 4:1)
5. The final answer to all our questions (Rom 8:28)

Evidence for God: 50 Arguments for Faith from the Bible, History, Philosophy, and Science (Reasons to Believe)
by Michael Licona
Price: 9.65

4.0 out of 5 stars A series of 50 short essays by 37 scholars., 10 Sep 2011
The essays are short, three to nine pages. I found the section on science to be a little weak; there should have been more emphasis on the Big Bang and the Anthropic Principle, which are two of the weakest areas for atheism. The essays could have been longer and there should have been a further reading section on each essay. The book is in four sections:

1. The question of Philosophy (7 essays)
2. The question of Science (19 essays)
3. The question of Jesus (15 essays)
4. The question of the Bible (9 essays)

While it included some big names, a few essays by William Lane Craig, J P Moreland, John E Lennox, Alister McGrath and Alvin Plantinga would have made the book better.

Authors that I recognised included: Craig L Blomberg, Darrell Bock, Walter Bradley, Paul Copan, William A Dembski, Gary R Habermas, Guillermo Gonzalez, Phillip E Johnson, Nancy Pearcey, Jay W Richards and Ben Witherington III.

For a more stimulating set of essays see God is Great, God is Good, and Contending with Christianity's Critics: Answering New Atheists & Other Objectors edited by William Lane Craig et al.

Doctrine (RE: Lit: Vintage Jesus)
Doctrine (RE: Lit: Vintage Jesus)
by Mark Driscoll

4.0 out of 5 stars A readable introduction to Christian doctrine., 10 Sep 2011
Unlike so many systematic theologies, which are usually as dry as a bone, I found this one highly readable. In its discussion of the trinity I was a bit surprised that they omitted the fact that the Hebrew word `elohiym' is in the plural (Gen 1:1). It covers the major doctrines of the Christian faith. It would suit beginner to intermediate Christians and group study. Chapter headings are:

1. Trinity: God is.
2. Revelation: God speaks.
3. Creation: God makes.
4. Image: God loves.
5. Fall: God judges.
6. Covenant: God pursues.
7. Incarnation: God comes
8. Cross: God dies.
9. Resurrection: God saves.
10. Church: God sends.
11. Worship: God transforms.
12. Stewardship: God gives.
13. Kingdom: God reigns.

It includes small group resources, a general index and a scripture index.

God and Evolution
God and Evolution
by Jay W. Richards
Price: 16.16

4.0 out of 5 stars God and Evolution: Are you a theistic evolutionist?, 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: God and Evolution (Paperback)
35 years ago, I read about theistic evolutionists, I thought that they were liberal Christians. Ten years ago I wrote an essay on Christians and Evolution. I found that I had a tendency for theistic evolution. In the last year I have found myself to believe in evolution based on molecular genetics.

This has not converted me to be an atheist, as Dawkins would like us to believe. Dawkins gives us a false dichotomy, if evolution is true then you have to be an atheists, I believe that this is a false dichotomy. Even Philip E Johnson offers us this false dichotomy.

Stephen Jay Gould offers us NOMA (non-overlapping magisteria), McGrath offers us POMA (partially overlapping magisteria), I side with McGrath on this issue. This book will help to sort the muddle about being a theistic evolutionist. The book is a series of 15 essays by 10 authors, mostly from the Discovery Institute. The book is in four sections:

I. Some Problems with "Theistic Evolution" (e.g. Karl Giberson, Kenneth Miller, and Stephen Barr)
II. Protestants and Evolution (e.g. Francis Collins, Denis Lamoureux, and Howard Van Till)
III. Catholics and Evolution.
IV. Jews and Evolution.

Whatever you might think about the ID Guys, they are bright, they are here for the long term. Dawkins has already lost the argument. He uses the argument by ridicule. If that is the best that he can do then he has lost the argument.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2011 7:29 AM GMT

Bridge for Beginners
Bridge for Beginners
by Victor Mollo

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the books I learned Bridge from, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: Bridge for Beginners (Paperback)
My copy of the book was printed in 1970, I used it to learn how to play Bridge in the sixth form, and I was able to beat my maths teacher much to his annoyance.

The other book I used was How to Play a Good Game of Bridge

1 Corinthians - A Digest Of Reformed Comment
1 Corinthians - A Digest Of Reformed Comment
by Geoffrey B. Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars A reformed introduction to 1 Corinthians, 6 Sep 2011
This is a book from the Banner of Truth Trust, and is a compendium from reformed commentators. He digests reformed comment and gives it to us pure and simple. I would describe myself as an evangelical. But I appreciate his efforts as a reformed pastor. It is only after being a Christian for some thirty years that I can appreciate his writings. Those of you from the reformed tradition or who are acquainted with the Banner of Truth publications will appreciate this book.

It is also available in New Testament Commentaries: v. 1: Romans to Ephesians

Hebrews: A Digest of Reformed Comment
Hebrews: A Digest of Reformed Comment
by Geoffrey B. Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars A reformed introduction to Hebrews, 6 Sep 2011

It is also available in New Testament Commentaries: v. 2: Philippians to Hebrews and Revelation

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18