Profile for Mistered > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Obituarist
The Obituarist

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing Short Story, 19 July 2012
This review is from: The Obituarist (Kindle Edition)
I came across the book following a recommendation from a friend who'd already read it.

The style of the story reminded me of the mysterious short stories of Jeremy Dyson, as I enjoyed a plot which rapidly marched towards an impending conclusion that was still surprising.
The storyline still has time for a commentary on the status of current celebrity culture and changes in people's views of war & soldiers.

The only drawback of the book: it wasn't long enough!

Leaders Of The Free World
Leaders Of The Free World
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Elbow Album, 19 July 2012
This is without doubt my favourite Elbow album and it's a crying shame that it was released at a time of crisis by their record label. Had it been released with the fanfare of their later works I'm sure it would now be regarded as a classic.

The songs range from anthemic (Station Approach) to loud & political (Leaders of the Free World) to quiet/romantic (Great Expectation & Puncture Repair)

If you need any further recommendation to buy it, the album contains Garvey's favourite Elbow song (Great Expectations)

Sky At Night (Digipack)
Sky At Night (Digipack)

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite of 2010, 19 July 2012
This review is from: Sky At Night (Digipack) (Audio CD)
The highest praise I can give this album was that it was my favourite of 2010.

I could recommend this album to anybody who likes Elbow, which isn't surprising when it was produced by Garvey & Potter- the beautiful orchestral sounds are extremely Elbowesque but added to this is Bramwell's voice which is even better meaning that the lyrics are even more touching.

The album remains at a consistently high level and the epic 'Radiation' completes a rounded album in style.

This is the only record I've ever really cared about winning awards. Unfortunately it didn't!

What Happens Now
What Happens Now
by Jeremy Dyson

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 19 July 2012
This review is from: What Happens Now (Paperback)
I bought this book on the strength of Dyson's previous work with the League of Gentlemen and was pleasantly surprised by it's addictive nature. Along with other reviewers, I read it in one session (albeit on a long flight!)

I was impressed by the style of writing which gave fully formed characters, but maintained an air of mystery. The only reason for not awarding 5 stars is a reasonably long middle section which seemed to be a bit of a filler. However the excellent ending to the story was worth it!

The Sleeper
The Sleeper

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 16 July 2012
This review is from: The Sleeper (Audio CD)
There is very little I can add to the reviews that others have already written and the sheer number of radio presenter endorsements.

I first heard them played by Radcliffe & Maconie and bought the album straight away. The best thing I can say about this album is that there isn't any other band I can think of to compare them with. The number of instruments used and the many differing song styles mean that the music doesn't fit within any genre and the album doesn't ever get to seem repetitive.

This is one of my favourite ever albums, which is amazing for a band I don't really know anything about and have never seen live.

Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North
Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North
by Stuart Maconie

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading Travel Writing, 16 July 2012
As a fan of Maconie's writing, this is my favourite of all his books. His later books seem to try and follow the formula of this book and don't quite hit the same note.

I may be slightly biased as a Northerner in my enjoyment of the book, but it covers places and bits of history that I didn't know about. My only qualm about this book is that there is a quite a lot of music history in the book and people with no interest in modern music won't be interested in long passages of the book (which was the case with a couple of people I leant it to) This means that the section on Manchester seems to be far longer than anything else in the book.

When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies
When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies
by Andy Beckett

4.0 out of 5 stars In Depth 70s History, 16 July 2012
Having seen many TV documentaries on the 1970s I was keen to learn more about the decade.
For people who want an in depth review of the 70s it's an excellent read as it deals with all the major events of the decade in a chronological & structured order and also includes many events that don't get covered on the quick TV documentaries.

I also found it completely unbiased and the interviews with some of the main characters of the decade added further insight, rather than being there to fill the book.

My Maudlin Career
My Maudlin Career
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 16 July 2012
This review is from: My Maudlin Career (Audio CD)
I first heard this band singing live on Radcliffe & Maconie's show and the first song they played made me want to buy the album.

They are often compared to Belle & Sebastian and I would imagine that most people who liked one would like the other. Highlights of the CD are French Navy and Swans.

Hippies : The Complete Series [DVD]
Hippies : The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Benfield
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Unknown, 16 July 2012
When you see the cast (Pegg, Phillips, Rhind-Tutt & Boyd) and the writers (Mathews and Linehan) it amazes me that this series never became a classic.

The plot of most the episodes rely on a bit of slapstick and some physical comedy and I'd be surprised if fans of either Father Ted or Big Train wouldn't love this lesser known comedy.

The Rotters' Club - Complete Series
The Rotters' Club - Complete Series
Dvd ~ Elizabeth Berrington
Offered by brrsales

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Nostalgia, 15 July 2012
Having watched the series when it was first shown on BBC2, it was such an excellent production I was amazed it's never been repeated.

The programme featured an ensemble cast amongst the adults which included Mark Williams, Rebecca Front and the always excellent Julian Rhind-Tutt and excellent performances from the children, some of whom have gone on to greater things such as Rafe Spall & Alice Eve.

Don't be put off by the (excellently researched & accurate) 70s nostalgia, as this is also a story of teenage friendship and growing up that could be set in any decade.

My only reason for not giving a 5 star rating is that the story seemed a little rushed in 3 hours, compared to the book.

Page: 1 | 2