Profile for Rob > Reviews

Content by Rob

Rob

LG 47LA740V 47-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Cinema Screen/Built-In Wi-Fi/Freeview HD

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap, but worth the money!, 21 July 2013
We nearly went for the 42" version of this TV, but after measuring our old Panasonic 42" plasma, this 47" is exactly the same size because picture is very nearly the TV's full width and height. After a lot of looking about in shops, reading reviews and worrying about spending this much on a TV, we took the plunge.

The picture quality is nothing but excellent on HD channels and Blu Rays, very vivid with a real depth and texture to the picture. We have Sky, and sometimes the TV can struggle a bit with fast movement, but only on certain channels (it's always the same 2 or 3, so I'm guessing it's the broadcast quality). I watch a lot of motorbike racing, and it handles the fast movement fine.

Standard definition channels are also dealt with very well, with the picture quality much better than our old plasma.

3D is where things get even better. We've watched in 3D both on our home cinema system and on Sky 3D, and both are brilliant. The colours are so vivid, brilliant textures, and the sense of depth is great. There is no flicker or distortion at all. I was a bit sceptical about 3D, but since we've got this TV, I have a long list of films to watch that I've recorded from Sky 3D! And the bonus with this TV is that you get 4 sets of glasses, which are comfortable enough for you to forget you're wearing them.

The sound is also good for an LED TV. It's got decent bass which some seem to struggle with, and it does a good job with surround sound too.

The Smart content on the TV is very easy to access and use, with good content. There's a 3D world section included, and also games which include 3D ones also. We have our TV wired to our router, so speed is very good. I've not really tried it wireless though.

All in all, we are very pleased we took the plunge and bought this TV. The picture quality is better than we dared hope for, and 3D is excellent!