Profile for Bill Ford > Reviews

Content by Bill Ford

Bill Ford "Author of 'High Energy Habits - the busy person's guide to more energy without diets or exercise!'" (Kew, England)

Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting: The Revolutionary Programme That Transforms Family Life
by NoŽl Janis-Norton

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!, 10 Aug 2012
Some years ago we went to see Noel for help in managing our two fairly normal children aged around 7 and 9. Here are the before and after pictures.

Before: I used to take mine to school 3 days a week and there were days that I came back after dropping them off and needed to lie down for 10 minutes to recover, before I could start work. E.g. `Yes, I do want you to take your coat...I know it's sunny now but take it anyway just in case...It's not stupid... Yes, it does look unlikely that it will rain, but it might'.

After: I was amazed to find myself one morning reading a book by myself in the living room, almost serenely, while they were in the kitchen preparing their packed lunches and getting ready for school. I suddenly realised what I was doing and it struck me how much things had changed. I felt confident that all the things I wanted were taking place - getting dressed and washed, gathering their PE kit, making a packed lunch, unloading the dishwasher etc.

My wife summed it up by saying she just stopped shouting.

The Olivetti Chronicles
The Olivetti Chronicles
by John Peel

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, beautiful man, 22 Sep 2010
This made me laugh out loud at times. And that is rare indeed these days. I had no idea he was writing so entertainingly and well in the 70's. I have been eking these out, reading a few when I have a cup of tea. He had a real gift with language - English, understated, romantic, foolish, resigned, playful, colourful, honest. Two bits that struck me yesterday were: 'I have a theory, untainted by research...' and 'I tugged my forelock. As my forelock is now at the back of my head, I may have looked threatening'.

To his family: I would like to see a sequel, please. I know the quality is likely to be lower but it can afford to be.

What Is, Is!: The Power of Positive Acceptance
What Is, Is!: The Power of Positive Acceptance
by Graham W. Price

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, powerful and practical!, 4 Feb 2010
The ideas in this book have helped me on an almost daily basis to reduce procrastination and increase my rate of action. I am now more forgiving of the shortfalls of others and of myself. I see it having a long-lasting impact on the rest of my life.

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid rushing around nonsense, 30 Oct 2009
Just what I need from time to time before going to bed. Not quality, not important, not meaningful. Just a readable chase done very well and a decent page-turner. Maybe it is not as good as the others but I've read those already so this will have to do. Keep them coming, Dan.

Child 44
Child 44
by Tom Rob Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opening, 6 Feb 2009
This review is from: Child 44 (Hardcover)
A surprising book. I came looking for a page-turner and found enough pace in the main story to keep the pages turning, though it tailed off into the unlikely at the end. But what came as a revelation was the picture of life in Russia.

I always thought it was grim but this took it to a new level. Like how one person named some suspected homosexuals in a plea bargain and then a hundred of these suspects were rounded up without evidence, lost their jobs and some committed suicide. Nonchalant brutality. It was presented in a believable way without drama and was captivating - a real bonus. Well worth a read if you've run out of Grisham, Clancy and Crichton.

The Mortdecai Trilogy
The Mortdecai Trilogy
by Kyril Bonfiglioli

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 6 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Mortdecai Trilogy (Paperback)
These little books are beautifully done - a mixture of urbanity, cruelty and wit that is delicious. This is the only fiction book I have read 3 or more times. I know he does not sell well but if I wrote fiction I would want it to be like this. The main thing is they are so funny - somewhat dark humour but the humour is very strong and it helps that he so enjoys the finer things in life.

The Russia House
The Russia House
by John Le Carrť

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious read, 23 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Russia House (Paperback)
I don't normally feel I have time to write reviews but for this I'm making an exception. Once I got over the fact that this was not a Smiley novel (this took about a decade) I was able to accept it for what it is. Which is a beautifully crafted book about manners, like a modern Jane Austen, with a backdrop of cold war tension. Here is an author who seems to see more than most and is able to articulate it economically. Despite a slightly world-weary tone, or perhaps because of it, it is a ripping good read.