18 of 19 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars
V1 Good idea, bad implementation. V2 Much better., 25 Jan 2008
== V1 ==
Bought one for doing 1 portion marinades, crushing coriander & mustard seeds (which fly everywhere out of a pestle and mortar) and because it looked easier and quicker to clean than my pestle and mortar.
Quick list of points
* You have to shake it hard for things like garlic and ginger. I was fine with it but looking at some of the other reviews on the other colours, a lot of people haven't got the strength to give it the shaking needed for certain ingredients.
* It leaked fairly heavily when I got it. I emailed the manufacturer and they sent me a new rubber washer, that stopped the leaking pretty much.
* I only ever shook it, it never got dropped but after a few months of regular use I noticed a flaw had appeared in the plastic. This then got bigger after every use and the thing is now unusable as the base is split down the middle.
* The spoon doesn't really fit the narrow end. You have to force the rubber spoon to bend to get stuff out of the bottom end of the item.
* The seal falls off when you wash the item and it's on the outside of the join. Liquid collects on the inside of the join making it harder to clean. Small point you may think, but it would have been so easy to design this thing better.
The idea is great, a heavier ball would mean less vigorous shaking was required for the harder stuff, the items build strength needs uprating anyway so could be made to cope with a heavier ball. The rest of the design is just poor and would be so easy to sort out. Then maybe I would have the product I wanted when I bought it.
Either Jamie needs to kick William Levene up the backside or take his idea to another manufacturer for them to do a decent implementation of it.
2 stars because it would work if done properly and I liked it when it wasn't broken.
#### UPDATE - 7th April 08 ####
== V2 ==
Started writing an update, it got long winded. Long story short, their customer service sent me the new design (V2), turns out my broken Red Hot shaker was V1 contrary to what others have said about all coloured shakers being V2.
V2 addresses most of my design points above and is still working great.
* It hasn't cracked (yet, Ive used it a lot over the last month but time will tell)
* Seal is far better and on the inside, this flavour shaker doesn't leak at all and is easier to clean.
* Spoon fits narrow end properly as shaker shape has been tweaked slightly (it actually doesn't stand up as well anymore but you can't have it all)
Still the same weight ball so you still need to go hard with tougher items.
I would regrade to 4.5 stars for the V2 if the review would let me, it does the job well now.