Profile for garygill > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Original Album Series
Original Album Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to the music......, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
A great bargain bundle of some great albums. I've always loved the Captain and Me, and couldn't afford the others in my youth.

Great to catch up with them now.......

A Touch of Frost - Series 1-15 Complete [DVD]
A Touch of Frost - Series 1-15 Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Jason
Offered by ZavviOutlet

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great to watch, 23 Aug. 2013
David Jason's portrayal of Frost as a slightly dishevelled, careworn but humane detective is a delight. Great supporting cast, good plots and gritty portrayals. Great TV.

Kiki Dee
Kiki Dee

5.0 out of 5 stars A much underrated singer, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Kiki Dee (Audio CD)
Shows how underrated Kiki was/is. Some lesser known tracks are absolute gems. Glad to replace worn vinyl with CD- just as good as I remember it.

Me Talk Pretty One Day
Me Talk Pretty One Day
by David Sedaris

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant humorist, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
I think his own reading of his work is even funnier than the prose itself, but some of these mini - essays are gems. "Jesus shaves" for example is a side splitting account of an intermediate French conversation class trying to explain the concepts of Easter, the Resurrection and especially the "Easter Bunny" with limited vocabulary- it's pure geniusnd painfully accurate observation (until he gets on to theology). This chapter would make the book worthwhile on it's own.

Accidents Waiting to Happen
Accidents Waiting to Happen

3.0 out of 5 stars Average thriller, 23 Aug. 2013
Readable and engaging enough, but lacks the real twist or imagination that would put it in the thriller super league

The Caged Virgin: A Muslim Woman's Cry for Reason
The Caged Virgin: A Muslim Woman's Cry for Reason
by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

4.0 out of 5 stars An impassioned plea, 23 Aug. 2013
Very passionate polemic about the cultural influences on women in Muslim culture. Some very interesting insights (e.g. about the role of women in these cultures self-perpetuating this). At times it felt a little too preachy, but maybe I can't help being male.........

The Siege of Mecca: The Forgotten Uprising in Islam's Holiest Shrine
The Siege of Mecca: The Forgotten Uprising in Islam's Holiest Shrine
by Yaroslav Trofimov

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it if you are travelling to the country, 23 Aug. 2013
A very interesting book. I have no recollection of the events described back at the time ( which supports the secrecy claims), but working here now the book provides an interesting insight into a formative event in shaping the culture here- well worth a read.

The American Civil War: History in an Hour
The American Civil War: History in an Hour

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather thin, 23 Aug. 2013
I'm a little disappointed with this series- it's more like "History in 20 minutes" . Emphasis is on dates and facts- the reasons behind the actions are not explained nor are many assertions backed with evidence . Only about 60% of the book is actual narrative and the remainder consists of appendices. These books are ok as a quick introduction I guess. I paid a discounted price and still thought it poor value- I'd have been livid if I had paid the RRP. Guess it's the wrong concept for me.

The Reformation: History in an Hour
The Reformation: History in an Hour

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather skimpy, 23 Aug. 2013

Between The Lines & Whistle Test Concert
Between The Lines & Whistle Test Concert

4.0 out of 5 stars A neglected genius, 30 Nov. 2012
I have always liked Janis Ian especially her haunting "At 17". This shows that she is more than a one song wonder, searing, intimate, heart rending lyrics.

For me the Whistle Test concert is a bonus. as a teenager my friend got tickets for a Whistle Test Concert- if there was only one I must have been there

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4