Profile for Gavin Schofield > Reviews

Content by Gavin Schofield

Gavin Schofield (Manchester, UK)

Wired--up Quality Leather Faux Case Pouch for Apple iPhone 3G - Black
Wired--up Quality Leather Faux Case Pouch for Apple iPhone 3G - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a perfect fit, 16 July 2009
I ordered this case because it was very cheap, and according to the reviews, a snug fit. It looks exactly as it does in the picture, but is unfortunately far too loose, with the iPhone 3G sliding out very easily. I'd only recommend this if your iPhone has some kind of skin over it, I'll be buying something a bit more expensive soon as a replacement.

James Bond: Ultimate Sean Connery [DVD]
James Bond: Ultimate Sean Connery [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery
Offered by EasyShoppingGB

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect,,,, 26 April 2008
Everyone buying this boxset will almost certainly know most, if not all of the films included, so I'll be brief - they are fantastic. What I want to comment on is the packaging, as I could not figure why this particular set is cheaper than the other Sean Connery boxset, which looks almost identical.

What you get is a cardboard sleeve over an attractive metal tin, inside which is the normal Connery boxset (also available on amazon, £10 more at time of writing). Inside this box are the 6 films, two discs per film, inside slimline DVD cases. This truly is an excellent set.

I have only 2 problems with this item:

1 - The films do not come with the booklets which are included in the single film Ultimate Edition releases.

2 - The DVD's all have a ridiculously long intro, which is identical each time and cannot be skipped.

In brief, this is a 'must have' box for any Bond fan, and deserves to be on every film fans shelf.

Logitech X-230 Multimedia Speaker System - 32 Watt (Total) (2.1)
Logitech X-230 Multimedia Speaker System - 32 Watt (Total) (2.1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sounding Speakers in Price Range, 10 Feb. 2008
Working for an Electronics shop gives me the opportunity to test a whole selection of PC speakers before I bought a pair, and these were simply the best. They sounded a lot better than the equivalent Creative, Labtec, Altec Lansing, Genius and Microlab sets and in some cases are cheaper. If you're buying a 2.1 set under £50, make it this set.

Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere"
Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere"
by Mike Carey

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 May 2007
Being a huge fan of the Book, I picked this up the second I saw it. I didn't expect it to be as good as the book, but it is.

Possibly the best Graphic Novel I've ever read. Buy it.

10,000 Days
10,000 Days
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Track titles are REAL!, 29 April 2006
This review is from: 10,000 Days (Audio CD)
I was given a copy of this album the other day (don't worry, I have ordered it already, but when I was given the chance to listen to it early I jumped at it) and it is a brilliant album. I believe the track titles are indeed the real ones, they are featured on the lyrics on many of the tracks.

I would say that this is a better album than Lateralus by a hair's width, and is a must have for anyone who likes Tool (or indeed APC).

Xbox Console
Xbox Console

4.0 out of 5 stars Big and ugly but probably the best of it's generation, 22 April 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox Console (Video Game)
I know it's a bit daft writing this review at the end of the current generation of consoles, but I am doing it anyway.

In my opinion the Nintendo gamecube would have been the best console of this generation of consoles, if it had more than 3 good games. Sadly, developers shyed away from the poor old cube. The PS2 is just a PS1 painted black with a DVD player attached, it has a few very good games though.

The X-Box was the most powerful, and has a decent selection of great games (Halo 2, Morrowind, Fable, GTA : San Andreas, KOTOR and Black are must-haves). I have about 20-25 different games for mine, all of which I consider to be excellent. If you want to get an older console instead of one of the expensive new ones, this hideous black box will give you a good selection of games, an in-built hard drive (so no memory cards to buy) and slightly more processing capability than its 2 rivals.

Vinterskugge
Vinterskugge

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit off-beat, but a good listen, 22 April 2006
This review is from: Vinterskugge (Audio CD)
If I had to describe this album in one sentence, I would say it sounds like a more folk-based darkthrone, with poorer production and more experimental tracks. The problem is, that description does not give it justice.

If your a fan of more primitive black-metal, track this down. You might have to let it grow on you though...

Burzum (including bonus Aske EP)
Burzum (including bonus Aske EP)

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 11 April 2006
Although I loathe the views expressed by Varg Vikernes, and regard the whole "corpsepaint in woods" thing as stupidity, it doesn't stop me liking the albums. Just don't buy this expecting a full on metal onslaught, it's a very hypnotic album. The best track by far is "Ea, Lord of the Depths".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2010 1:43 AM GMT

Transgression [CD + DVD]
Transgression [CD + DVD]
Offered by trec002

5.0 out of 5 stars Good music does NOT have to be Metal you know!, 11 April 2006
I for one welcome this new style, and I love this album. Granted, it's not as good as Demanufacture, but in my opinion it outstrips all the other Fear Factory releases.

Just don't buy this hoping for a 'Soul of A New Machine
Part 2', expect a lot of clean singing, and a more 'rock' feel than the usual FF album, if you can accept that you should like this album.

Bill Hicks : One Night Stand [HBO] [1991] [DVD]
Bill Hicks : One Night Stand [HBO] [1991] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Hicks
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it if you find it cheap..., 16 Mar. 2004
Brilliant Material, but it's far too short. Not worth paying over £7 for in my opinion, as it lasts only 30 minutes. But contains some comic gems not included on the Totally Bill Hicks DVD.