Profile for John R. > Reviews

Mercedes Sprinter Van Diesel 1995 - 2006 Manual
Offered by Performance Centre
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful, 9 July 2014
This manual is, as usual, well up to the standard one would expect from Haynes manuals

River Cottage - Game On [DVD]
River Cottage - Game On [DVD]
Offered by A2Z Entertains
Price: 13.94

4.0 out of 5 stars An early work, 7 Jun 2014
This is an early presentation from a young Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. There is even a small section on shooting and the choice of gun. I do not expect to get into this aspect of life myself but I found it interesting and I am glad that I bought it.

River Cottage - Pig In A Day [DVD] [2010]
River Cottage - Pig In A Day [DVD] [2010]
Offered by A2Z Entertains
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars There's more than a days work here., 7 Jun 2014
I found this a very thorough, interesting and informative presentation. Everything one could expect on this topic is there from the raising of pigs and even the training of pigs to uncover truffles. The butchery of them is excellent with the clearest depiction of the various cuts, the making of sausages, prosciutto, hams and the like. Altogether most absorbing.

New DQT Passion Men's Silver Waistcoat - Size: 48"
New DQT Passion Men's Silver Waistcoat - Size: 48"
Offered by DQT Ltd
Price: 17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I am pleased with my purchase, 2 May 2014
The waistcoat arrived exactly as promised. I took the advice of others who had made a similar purchase and with that information I ordered the next size up. As a result, it fits me in comfort. I would recommend all other purchasers to take notice and act accordingly. This advice will give satisfaction.

The Leiden Choirbooks, Vol.3
The Leiden Choirbooks, Vol.3
Price: 40.25

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 11 Dec 2013
Although this is beautifully presented, the booklet is really magnificent, the singing is superb, it does not give me as much satisfaction as Monteverdi's Vespers does. Why, you may ask? It is because the Monteverdi has changes of mood and style to suit the text whereas the Leiden Choirbooks do not. There is, I think, too much sameness in the pieces of the Choirbooks and little musical variation. Certainly the element of praise of God is there in abundance but that essence of musical variation, suited to the text of the moment, is not.

Purcell: Choral and Organ Music
Purcell: Choral and Organ Music
Offered by Naxos Direct UK
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine recording, 23 Sep 2013
This was not the recording which I was actually looking for but, nevertheless, I am very pleased with it. Many years ago I came across a vinyl recording with the drum voluntary for the funeral music played by Thurston Dart. I did not manage to get hold of that recording but this one comes very close to the sombre and thrilling atmosphere which I remember. I truly recommend this recording.

Das Rheingold: Metropolitan Opera (Levine) [Blu-ray] [2013]
Das Rheingold: Metropolitan Opera (Levine) [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Robert Lepage
Price: 21.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 17 July 2013
I have never attended any performance of THE RING. I was drawn to it by the cast, especially Bryn Terfel and I felt that it was about time that I took a look at Wagner's work. I appreciate the fact that the portrayal of Rhinemaidens is difficult to present on stage and I was not entirely convinced by their production in this work. The singing is excellent, as one would expect from such a cast. I enjoyed my introduction to Wagner.

Four Last Songs
Four Last Songs
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 15.72

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent performance, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: Four Last Songs (Audio CD)
I have long felt that this performance of the Four Last Songs, sung by Renee Fleming, is the best I have ever heard. I simply had to own my own copy. This is not the only copy which I own of these songs but I consider this as better than my other copy. It has more life, greater musicianship and, for me, greater pleasure. Renee Fleming has just the touch and command of the music to evoke that feeling which Strauss must have had when he looked into his future and realised that all things come to an end. Indeed it is his farewell gift to the musical world.

Mushrooms: River Cottage Handbook No.1
Mushrooms: River Cottage Handbook No.1
by John Wright
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Mushrooms, 17 Mar 2013
I have always been interested in those "mushrooms" which are available in the countryside but not in the shops. It has always been a subject of fear to me because eating the wrong ones can be very sick making or downright deadly.
This has gone quite some way in dispelling those fears. However, I still would like to be able to consult an expert before venturing into eating something which I am not fully sure about.

Whisky Galore! [DVD] [1949]
Whisky Galore! [DVD] [1949]
Dvd ~ Basil Radford
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA
Price: 19.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Whistful dreams of the past, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Whisky Galore! [DVD] [1949] (DVD)
The rollicking humour, wartime memories of the Home Guard (in which my father served) and the outwitting of stultified officialdom, place this story as one of the gems to come out of that conflict

Page: 1 | 2