Profile for RectoryRose > Reviews

Content by RectoryRose

RectoryRose

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Laminating Pouches, 6 May 2014
These are fine. Do the job. Good value. Happy to recommend.
I do wish they were more water resistant (applies to all laminating pouches, not just these) - I often use laminated notices outside and the rain does get in.

Collapsible Spears 142cm Spears Novelty Toy Weapons & Armour for Fancy Dress Costumes  Accessory
Collapsible Spears 142cm Spears Novelty Toy Weapons & Armour for Fancy Dress Costumes Accessory
Offered by ZEUS PARTY

4.0 out of 5 stars Spear: Symbol of the Passion, 6 May 2014
I bought this to use as part of a Good Friday meditation on the Symbols of the Passion.
This spear is nice and big, but very plastic, I saw another one a few days after Easter in an English Heritage shop on Hadrians wall which cost more, was smaller, but less plastic.

Calvary [DVD] [2014]
Calvary [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Brendan Gleeson

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Film Ever, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Calvary [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Just back from the cinema. I loved this film. I found it moving, funny, provocative, thought-provoking. It is full of great lines. I was too stunned to cry at the end, and it is a long long time before the music kicks in. I loved the way it addresses important issues: sin and forgiveness, life and love. I want to see it again very soon and have put the DVD on my wish-list.

Toxic Parents; Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
Toxic Parents; Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
by Susan Forward

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book, 31 Oct. 2013
This book was recommended to me by a friend. I read her copy, and then had to buy it for myself. I have lent it to someone else, who also found it immensely helpful.

it's about the damage that parents can do to children, and the wounds that the children then carry into adulthood. This books helps to identify the damaging behaviours of adults and the behaviours and thought patterns they trigger in their children. It also provides a strategy for change.

I recommend it heartily for people who feel hurt by life and for those in positions of pastoral care.

Wounded by God S People: Discovering How God S Love Heals Our Hearts
Wounded by God S People: Discovering How God S Love Heals Our Hearts
by Anne Graham Lotz

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book I wanted!, 31 Oct. 2013
I ordered this book because of the title, which really appealed to me, because of a pastoral need to work with people who have been wounded by clergy sexual abuse in the past.
This book was no help to me whatsoever.
I had never heard of Anne Graham Lotz before, and certainly won't be looking out for her writings again.
The book is about the way churches have wounded her through rejecting her and her husband's ministries, set in the context of the story of Hagar.
I found it ego-centric - the examples of wounding were almost all hers. It reminded me of a child at my daughter's birthday party who was sobbing and said "someone has hurt my feelings".
It lacked insight - the fault was always someone else's.
I found it superficial. She talks about how badly she has been hurt, but no attempt to understand the wider context or the other kinds of ways in which God's People have caused catastrophic wounds to others.
Stylistically, the book takes a lot of words to say not a lot.
I found her Biblical analysis also somewhat basic.
I need to get rid of this book as soon as possible.
(And now, of course, I will be added to the list of people who have wounded her)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2015 11:06 AM GMT

The Noonday Demon: A Modern Woman's Struggle with Soulweariness
The Noonday Demon: A Modern Woman's Struggle with Soulweariness
by Kathleen Norris

5.0 out of 5 stars When your soul can't be bothered, 5 Sept. 2013
I love Kathleen Norris' writing. There is not a lot written in modern times about the experience of acedia, and this is very wise, very grounded and very helpful.

The Kappillan of Malta
The Kappillan of Malta
by Nicholas Monsarrat

4.0 out of 5 stars The Kapillan of Malta, 29 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Kappillan of Malta (Paperback)
I bought this to read during our holiday in Malta and enjoyed the way that our trips around the islands informed my reading and the novel informed our visits. The novel is the story of a catholic priest during the Second World War, when Malta suffered more than most places. It is a vehicle for telling the story of Malta from ancient times.

Monserrat lived on Gozo, and the novel has the authority of being steeped in the place.