Profile for Flan Fan > Reviews

Content by Flan Fan

Flan Fan (California, USA)

Flanimals Pop-Up
Flanimals Pop-Up
Price: 13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you've popped you just can't stop, 6 Oct 2009
This review is from: Flanimals Pop-Up (Hardcover)
I've had this on order for a while because I love what Ricky and Rob have done with these books and Flanimals are just perfect for the pop-up book format: colourful, crazy, and so funny! Now that I see it "in the flesh" I feel like they've hit a great balance with this - there's enough to entertain an adult, but they've kept it simple enough for kids, which is where some overly complex pop-up books miss the mark I think. All the regular guys are in there, including my personal favourites the Gernloid, the Honk, and, of course, the Puddloflaj. The art as usual is spectacular, with huge spreads leaping out at you and then smaller flaps and tabs on the sides. This one is definitely going to be high up on the Xmas present lists. Love it!

Flanimals: The Day of the Bletchling
Flanimals: The Day of the Bletchling
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Another belter, 6 Nov 2007
It's a great shame if the Flanimals books get lumped in with the current fad for celebrity-created children's books. Gervais and Steen have really gone from strength to strength with the first three books and "Flanimals: The Day of the Bletchling" doesn't disappoint.

In this fourth book we meet yet more mind-boggling Flanimals, but best of all we finally meet the repulsive Bletchling...and boy do we meet a lot of them! Epic battles ensue, Flans unite, much goo is squirted, and, having said all that, surprisingly there are actually some rather touching moments.

One of my favourite things about the Flanimals books is that once you've read them the first time you can go back again and again and still be spotting new things you didn't notice before, tucked away in Steen's amazingly detailed artwork. I see there's also a special Christmas box set coming up - I'm hoping to get one in my stocking this year.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Atheism for Kids, 2 Nov 2007
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this book even though it was a case of preaching to the converted. If you're looking for a good children's book in this vein try Ricky Gervais new book "Flanimals: The Day of the Bletchling" and the previous one "Flanimals of the Deep" which both feature the fictional deity Grob. As a Brit living in the US with kids this was a real surprise find, and the kids loved it.

Flanimals of the Deep
Flanimals of the Deep
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mungler Madness, 11 Oct 2006
This review is from: Flanimals of the Deep (Hardcover)
You just have to see the cover to know that this book takes Flanimals to a new and even more hilarious heights. I adored the first two books and really didn't think Gervais and Steen could improve upon them, but taking us into the murky depths of this strange world was an inspired decision. Not only do you get to meet yet more crazy creatures, fighting for survival in a world that seems intent on eating them for breakfast, but we begin to get a glimpse of the environments they live in. The illustrations are at their most detailed yet and every page had me chuckling. All I can say is "Thank Grob for Flanimals!"