Profile for Simon Brooks > Reviews

Content by Simon Brooks

Simon Brooks

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch Tablet - White (ARM Cortex A9 1.4GHz, 16GB, Wi-Fi, BT, Android 4.0)
Offered by iHD Lounge

5.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Note 10.1 16gb wifi, 26 Sept. 2012
I had a Galaxy Tab P1000 7 inch for the last 2 years and decided it was time to upgrade. Having had two years of no issues, and almost flawless operation (except when caused by user error or dodgy installs!), replacing it was going to be a tall order. Reading various online reviews left me with a little trepidation about this product. Everyone seems to think that the screen is rubbish and that the response from it is too slow. Yet there the feature set seemed perfect for what I want it for.

I must have one of the few Note 10.1s that have the extra "boost" package then.

This tablet is, quite frankly, outstanding. Yes, it doesn't have the full 1920x1080 display of the ASUS Transformer, however it's display is fantastic. Bright, clear and ideal for the size of the tablet. OK it's not an IPad display, but then again it's not designed to be. It's a work horse. Designed to let you get the job done, not just look pretty.

The overall impression is one of a quality build. Unlike the reviews, I don't find the Note 10.1 flimsy in any way. Very well made. The OS (including TouchWiz) is very responsive. I happen to love the new Touchwiz look. Very snazzy. However where it truly excels is with the multitasking and S-Pen. Being able to run multiple programs (ok, only select ones at the moment, but that will change I expect) is finally what tablets should be doing. I can't believe it's taken so long for manufacturers to actually get this. I love being able to copy and paste with a click and drag style. I can actually start to work on the tablet the way I do on my desktop.

S-Pen. Great! I used to have an old windows phone years ago that was great for handwriting recognition, for some reason it seemed to be dropped from most phones and replaced with just a keyboard. (OK you could get apps for this but they were, frankly, not great). The S-Pen brings this back. The recognition is really accurate. It even manages to cope with my scrawl. The pen is very accurate and allows far more control of images, Photoshop etc than most others I've used.

Overall, as you'll probably have gathered, I love this Tablet. If you want a gaming machine, go elsewhere, there are cheaper, and better systems for that. If you want a full hd screen then look at the IPad or the ASUS Transformer Infinity. If you want a tablet that you can actually work on, get stuff done the way you want to, then this is it.

One adddition, the included s-pen is a little small for my tastes, I "upgraded" it to the Samsung S-Pen Holder kit. Samsung Pen Holder Kit for Galaxy Note It works a treat and makes it into a proper sized pen!

Digital Cinematography
Digital Cinematography
by Paul Wheeler

1.0 out of 5 stars Useful - for sony users, 17 July 2010
This review is from: Digital Cinematography (Paperback)
A book which has the potential to be very useful, however there is one BIG drawback, it is aimed squarely at users of two Sony Cameras - the DVW700 and DVW790.

The style is very readable, and there is quite a lot of useful information here if you can get past the references to the Sony cameras everywhere. Take the section on "the look of your film". Rather than discussing general film looks and how to achieve them the author spends more time on how to use the looks included in the Sony cameras.

A great Sony DVW manual but there are better cinematography books out there.

Disappointing.