Profile for Combatcorrespondent > Reviews

The North
The North
by John Bulmer

5.0 out of 5 stars It's grim up North, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The North (Hardcover)
Early colour and black and white reportage, capture our long gone history. Bulmer has an eye for composition and character, without nostalgia. Very interesting.

Bjarnfredarson
Bjarnfredarson

5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption Song, 23 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Bjarnfredarson (DVD)
You have to have been along from the begining to really feel the full impact of this beautiful film. "They **** you up, your Mum and Dad," said Phillip Larkin and this feature explores at some length, why Georg Bjarnfredarson is so ****ed up by his overly politically correct mother. Throughout the series, Georg has been an embarrassing, cringe inducing character, but Jon Gnarr's portrayal never made me hate him, or turn my back on him. We may want to slap Georg, but we also care deeply for him. A wonderful story of redemption and the power of love and friendship between three misfit men that made me laugh, cry and ultimately applaud my DVD player. If only there was more stuff like this around!

Fangavaktin (The Prison Shift, Icelandic TV series)
Fangavaktin (The Prison Shift, Icelandic TV series)

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, 23 Oct. 2011
I was amazed to find myself crying like a child at the end of this comedy. I first saw some of the first series,"Naeturvaktin," as a special on BBC3 and was totally enthralled by the quality of the characterisation and the acting. It has developed and deepened, series by series. As an English man, the characters and situations have a familiarity to them, with bits of Fawlty, Rigsby and Porridge emerging along with the cloying realism of Brent in "The Office."
It is so well done and the development of the characters is something that you totally buy into. Despite their ineptitude and cloying imperfections, we really invest in their happiness and success. The redemptive act made by Olafur at the end this series is Spielbergian in it's emotional manipulation, but it is a thing of beauty. I would like to say more to sell this wonderful production to you but I have to go to watch the next installment, the film, "Bjarnfredarson."

Ghost Fields of East Anglia: Capturing Fading Memories of the Aerial War, 1942-45
by Martin Bowman

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowman at his best., 5 Aug. 2011
Martin Bowman is an expert on the USAAF and the history of their stay with us, during the Second World War. We owe a huge debt to those young men, who travelled thousands of miles to fight a just War. This book concentrates on the archaeology left behind that still exsists in the Eastern Counties of England, where the Americans were based. Evocative and emotionally charged photographs tell the story of the Airmen and Groundcrews who were here for a brief time. Death, Life and Survival are all represented by the artefacts and footprints left behind. Testimony by the soldiers and the local people are interspersed with fine photographs to make a high quality book that is a fitting memorial to our brave allies who were our salvation.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2015 3:40 AM GMT

Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Nikon Fit
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Nikon Fit
Offered by WAA Electronics
Price: £1,279.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Portrait dream, 2 Aug. 2011
You may have read other reviews about this lens, which talk about front focussing issues and build quality being poor. I have owned two, and both have been razor sharp and very quick to focus on a Nikon D300 body. The first lens was traded for a longer reach telephoto, but I missed the beautiful colour that this lens gives and replaced it as soon as I could. The f2.8 aperture gives a bright viewfinder image and the internal focus means a well balanced lens, that doesn't change length. Compared to FX sensor F2.8 tele lenses it is outstandingly lightweight too.Remember that this is a 75-225 F2.8 lens on a DX sensor camera! The main reason to use this lens is the quality of image that it gives. Outstanding!