Profile for James Stewart > Reviews

Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying:
Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying:
by Wolfgang Langewiesche

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 6 Oct. 2010
Having read stick and rudder, the most valuable part of the book is "dangers to pilots" and it essentially talks about the percieved dangers, engine failure, weather etc. The reality is the biggest danger which may be induced by any of the perceived dangers is "stalling at slow speed close to the ground" typically going slow and turning at the same time. The wings stall and the aircraft falls, the normal reaction is to pull back on the stick, making it worse not better. The results are normally pretty ugly. Interesting, instructional and sobering reading.

The book is pretty wordy, and parts can be tough reading but challenges lots of the perceived norms and the usual stuff instructors say and "gloss" over. Valuable in their own right. A simple way of working out if, when gliding after engine failure, if you are going to make it over a wire or not.

I can't stress enough, the last chapters are the most vital in the book and I've re-read it several times.

A keeper.

The Compleat Taildragger Pilot
The Compleat Taildragger Pilot
by Harvey S. Plourde

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight forward and useful, 20 July 2010
Now converting onto a tail dragger. This explains the science in a straight forward readable and understandable way. This give a grounding so the ground school can be shortened so you can spend more time in the air. Stick and rudder is the other book I bought, very very wordy, easy to read but you have to wade through it to get to the tail dragging bit. If you're looking for a tail dragger book this is the one to buy. It also makes you realise how badly you fly a tricycle. Read the other comments on amazon.com

The Moment it Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
The Moment it Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
by Joe McNally

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read and reference, 6 Nov. 2008
Ive read it cover to cover and now read snippets out of it as well as just page through it looking at the images.

Overall it is inspiring, yes it does have some overview instructions, which are not laid out step by step. So don't expect it. If you want a beginners how to do it book there are some great ones around.

Very pleased to have this book in my library, Thank you Joe.

ACT! by Sage For Dummies
ACT! by Sage For Dummies
by Karen S. Fredricks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to get going and refer to, 8 July 2008
I've used act off and on over the years and now needed a version to cover version 2008. This is a useful manual, shows you how to do things and gets you through some the the concepts. It is good to refer to once you've got going and have forgotten how to do something.

I suppose what it lacks is a voice to tell me here is your problem and this is a solution. I suppose that is why they pay consultants so much.

Worth having on the shelf.

Sony MEX-BT5100 MP3 Player with Handsfree Bluetooth
Sony MEX-BT5100 MP3 Player with Handsfree Bluetooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio/CD/bluetooth but poor Ipod control, 8 July 2008
The Cd and Radio functionality are what I expected and great. The controls and function switches are positive and feel solid. The bluetooth connectivity to my samsung SG800 works and the microphone is acceptable. I have it in an elderly MX5 that is noisy and people can hear what I am saying even with the hood down. Marry the phone and the radio and it connects when the engine and radio turn on and off when I get out the car. One word of warning, if you are sitting in your car with the engine off, and ignition on and chatting on the phone and then start the car, the radio turns off momentarily and cuts you off. No major issue though.

I have the optional Ipod doo-hickey (AX110IP) to connect the radio to my Ipod. Sounded great and my expectations were high; no more lose CD's rattling around in the car. Problem is the scrolling through the music (80Gb) is painful, you can choose Artist, Albums or playlists. Then you have to scroll one by one through them. (1 or so seconds per artist/album) The player also always starts with the first album alphabeticaly and plays track 001. It does not take long before you hate that track. Playlists or the shuffle tracks is the way forward. Moving or holding the selector arm down makes no difference and the manual is nonexistant for the Ipod bit. I am also thinking of getting a 2GB ipod shuffle so I can put my "driving" music on it and not have the other stuff. Hence the 4 stars..... Oh yes the sound is full and good through standard issue Mazda speakers!
New car image hifi gave fantastic customer support. Thank you

Sony Walkman NW-E002 MP3 Player Colour
Sony Walkman NW-E002 MP3 Player Colour

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a copy and paste, 19 July 2007
Not great, difficult to get music on to it. Have to use transfer software supplied. it is only 512k and holds about 5 albums. Not ideal.

Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Digital Camera - Silver (6.3MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.5 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 27 May 2007
I bought this for my 10 year old. It is a great camera. It is versatile, forgiving and easy to use. A straight forward point and shoot that has all the extra's if you need them. Picture quality is great and although it can be grainy because the "film" speed gets bumped up, it is in focus and not blurred. It's a trade off. This is a "cheap" digital camera. In manual mode you can keep the iso low, but run the risk of blurring. Way too complex for most people who just want to record the moment in focus. It fires up ready to shoot quickly and the battery seems to last ages. The rear viewing screen is large bright and can be setup so you can have lots of information or not, as the case may be. He's used fling a camera prior to this. Surprisingly the video option (avi) is used quite a lot. Not sure how to get it to DVD yet but I expect most of the video editing s/w can do it. The 1MB XD H card works like a charm although my elderly hp printer did not recognise it. The USB connection is fast.

We bought the Crumpler bag called John Thursday 70 large enough, with a neck strap and Velcro belt hook. The 50 is just too small.

The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
by Michael E. Gerber

5.0 out of 5 stars Take what you want, 25 Oct. 2006
This is a book that I am using to run our business, I have had it recommended by two successful entrepreneurs who started their businesses and worked themselves into the ground to the point of heart attacks, bought the books and now have some life back. You want to work on your business not in it.

Take what you want from the book, it does help. A simple example I have just introduced in the ops manual is postage. I used to do this buy gut feel, sometimes first class, sometimes standard parcel and sometimes UPS. I now have a simple procedure so my temp does not need to decide, my customers get the same service if I do it or if the temp does it. It costs the same and I can budget for it. I now can use a temp that knows nothing about shipping..... This book makes you think about your business in a different way.
Buy this book if you are thinking about starting your own business.

Adobe InDesign CS2: Classroom in a book
Adobe InDesign CS2: Classroom in a book
by Adobe Creative Team

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 6 Oct. 2006
I bought this book to create a brochure for the business. The book walks through the basics and then onto more the advanced interesting things.

Within a week, I had what I thought was a great brochure. Be aware you need to have photoshop too. This is really pagemaker underneath and is great for page layout. You will learn about printing and layout terminology but if you know it already it makes some of the lesson go quickly.

I've had it now about a month and rejigged the brochures which traditionally would have been so tedious I would have left well alone. Now it took an hour to change the layout and tranfer (drag and drop) the images and text from one design to the other.

HAs some really brilliant ideas, if you paste text into a box and the area is too small, you can create another text box, link it to the first and the "missing" text continues. If you change the font size so it takes less or more room, it automatically adjusts it.

It is also good as a reference, when the "I have forgotten how to do..." happens.

It can export the document in the usual formats required by printers (the press not the laser). It handles printing to the printer really well too, with all kinds of options (cutlines, bleed etc etc)

If you want to make and update a brochure/document/book it is fab.

Good luck...

DogDogs
DogDogs
by Elliott Erwitt

5.0 out of 5 stars People and their dogs, 24 Sept. 2004
This review is from: DogDogs (Paperback)
"you look like your dog" should be the title of this book. It is wonderful, there are some classic "dog looks like owner" photographs. I am not really a dog lover, rather a photographer, and there are loads of stunning photos here. Lots to laugh out loud at. Some classics. As a photographer, I have learned to look at animals and people differently. My gran, 94, a dog show judge, and loved the book.
So if you love dogs or photos, this is for you.