Profile for Andy M > Reviews

Draper 52616 Xenon Timing Light
Draper 52616 Xenon Timing Light
Price: 21.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Also, a great tool for diagnosing problems..., 19 Jan 2014
The inductive connector makes this a great tool for diagnosing problems between Distributors and Plugs on older cars. (i.e. checking each plug is getting a spark). This is especially true if you have a lot of cylinders and plugs that are buried deep in the cylinder block. Trying to use in-line connectors, if there are extenders between the plug and the HT Lead, is very tedious. I did not find that there was any interference between HT Leads.

As for the fragility of the product - sure this isn't Snap On quality but it's not Snap On price either.
But from what I can see/feel, it's good enough for my purposes, I don't intend throwing it around.

I'm sure it's also great as a timing gun!

Bernie: The Biography of Bernie Ecclestone
Bernie: The Biography of Bernie Ecclestone
by Susan Watkins
Price: 8.00

1.0 out of 5 stars This book should be titled 'Saint Bernie', 14 Oct 2011
This book paints Bernie Ecclestone in the loveable rogue, business is business mould.

Frequently the author describes a scenario and then informs the reader that this was a clear demonstration of the man's caring disposition (or his business is business attitude). I could see many of these scenarios in a completely different light. BE was required to authorise the books publication - I think this is very evident.

The thinking reader will see numbers of situations where the author allows BE's version of events to take precedent. Where the events are controversial, there is no questioning of these events by the author - or views from parties that would have been on the other side.

As such I don't see much point in buying this book - it simply does not penetrate enough.

Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli (Wii)
Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game - don't listen to the negative reviews, 23 Jan 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am not a gamer but I am a petrolhead. The Wii was bought for the children but 6 months in, I decided to get this game and see if I could get some value from the Wii.

The driving in Ferrari Challenge is very realistic - it takes a fair while to understand the best way to mitigate understeer (this is why the negative reviews always harp on about not staying on the track - as other reviews have indicated). As in real life - if you undertake a series of corners you have to get the first one correct otherwise you mess the whole lot up. If you listen to Tiff on the tutorial sessions you will realise this!
As such it is not a game for young children (mine are 4 and 9 & they wouldn't have a chance with this game).

There have been criticisms that you are either miles ahead or miles behind the other cars. I have not found that. As you progress further into the game (Arcade for instance has 4 levels - Beginner, Intermediate, Expert and Legend) you will find that one 'off' can see you being re-passed by 1 or more cars. The difficulty of these different levels is well thought out and the challenge always there. I am finally on Expert but I am struggling to get a podium place on the 1st of the 4 races.

The Challenge series allows you to set the car up (Front & Rear ride height, camber and toe-in etc etc) and is very technical. You can still win races on the default settings but fiddling with these settings and adjusting your driving style to match can produce quicker lap times.

I feel that I am only scratching the surface of this game. The sound is great. I have no experience of Xbox etc but the graphics to me are fine. Once you get used to using the Wii handset it is no problem. In terms of cars available - I have always stuck to the 430GT2 race cars - there are plenty of others available (both road and race cars) but the 430 sounds best.

One more thing - if you have this game, do your utmost to get on the Mont Tremblant circuit - it is great...