Profile for Mr. Russell Newton > Reviews

Content by Mr. Russell Newton

Mr. Russell Newton "rusnewton" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Things They Carried (Flamingo)
The Things They Carried (Flamingo)
by Tim O'Brien

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, 14 Jan. 2015
Tim O'Brien writes beautifully on the Vietnam War from an infantryman's perspective. He captures the boredom, drudgery, horror and waste but also manages to inject some humour. A great read, thoroughly recommend.

Blackberry Passport 4.5-Inch SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Blackberry Passport 4.5-Inch SIM-Free Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, I love it, 5 Nov. 2014
I just upgraded from Blackberry Q10 to the new Passport and am very pleased with it so far.

The process of upgrading was pretty straightforward using the Blackberry Live software on my iMac I literally plugged the new phone in and it said "Do you want to transfer everything from your old phone". It took quite a while to do the transfer but you don't have to sit & stare at the screen while it's progressing, obviously. Only one app (Whatsapp) didn't transfer across properly -- had to delete & re-install it but once I did so it found all my contacts & message threads so that wasn't a problem, either. Everything else was totally seamless.

The user interface is quite similar to the Q10 but if you're coming from an iPhone or Android it might take a couple of days to get used to: there's a little keyboard at the bottom of the device, but then the lower part of the screen becomes a context-sensitive extension. So far this has worked really well, though the keyboard layout is marginally different from what I'm used to so it's currently slightly slow typing emails. I still think a hard keyboard is faster for typing though than the screen-based ones found on iPhones & Android smart phones.

The screen is great! After a Q10 or iPhone it feels enormous, and the square format works really well -- not just because it means I can squeeze more app icons onto each page, but for reading docs or watching movies it's just much more comfortable. The resolution is really good, too.

The tutorials when firing up for the first time are useful too for getting the hang of some new gestures: the keyboard for example doubles as a mouse-pad so you can swipe it to scroll, or you can swipe the screen itself. If you are the sort of person who gets annoyed by all the fingerprints on your touch-screen then this makes a lot of sense.

As you will have seen from various reviews & photos, it's a large device - but it fits neatly in my jacket pocket and it doesn't seem to weigh much more than my old iPhone 4.

Definitely worth considering seriously if you are looking for a new smartphone -- I think it'll go down particularly well in Asia-Pacific where the larger screen sizes on the Samsung Galaxy are popular.

Putting the Genie Back: 2°C Will Be Harder Than We Think
Putting the Genie Back: 2°C Will Be Harder Than We Think

5.0 out of 5 stars A great primer on climate change, 5 Nov. 2014
For anyone interested in the subject of climate change, this is a great little book.

David covers the issues in clear, concise and easily-understandable language that should leave nobody in any doubt that mankind needs to get its skates on. He does this whilst managing not to be either condescending or to sound like he's trotting out the "party line".

Well worth a read.

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thriller I've read in ages, 1 Nov. 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
This is a great read -- almost impossible to put down.

The style reminded me a lot of Robert Ludlum's Bourne thrillers, but I thought the writing was a little better and the plot slightly less insanely complicated.

The story line is very post-9/11 and the author does a good job of portraying the sort of circumstances that could turn a young man into a dangerous terrorist.

You won't regret buying it.

Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus 19)
Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus 19)
by Ian Rankin

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Rankin, 21 July 2014
Rankin never disappoints and even after 19 novels still manages to write a page-turner.

Berlin Noir: Penguin eBook (Bernie Gunther Mystery 1)
Berlin Noir: Penguin eBook (Bernie Gunther Mystery 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great trilogy, 21 July 2014
Recommended to me by a book publisher, I'd not heard of Kerr but an very glad I bought this trilogy. Set before and after WW2 in Nazi (before) and occupied (after) Germany the central character is nicely portrayed, the plots are strong and there is plenty of atmosphere. Definitely worth a read.

Dominion
Dominion
by C. J. Sansom

4.0 out of 5 stars "What might have been" historical novels can be pretty interesting and I thought Sansom's central idea -- of ..., 21 July 2014
This review is from: Dominion (Paperback)
"What might have been" historical novels can be pretty interesting and I thought Sansom's central idea -- of a Great Britain that allowed itself to become a vassal state of the Third Reich -- was well thought-out.

The first chapter was promising and although I read to the end of the book because I pretty much never give up on a novel and also because I wanted to find out what happened, some of the characters were pretty wooden. Perhaps this was deliberate as the book had a bit of the feel of some 1950s black-and-white movie, but perhaps it was just not great writing.

Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
by Robin Sloan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 July 2014
This is an awesome little book. It was recommended to me by a client because our company codes in Ruby and that computer language features in the story. But don't let that put you off (and anyway, it shouldn't because Ruby is a cool language, honestly).

I guess the story is verging on Nervana but it's a tale well-told, with great characters and was just a lot of fun. I pretty much couldn't put it down.

Sohlberg and The Gift: an Inspector Sohlberg mystery (Inspector Sohlberg Mysteries Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Story, Terrible Translation, 21 July 2014
I'm assuming this book was originally published in Norwegian and has been translated into English. If I'm wrong and the author is a native English-speaker then I'm amazed it got published, really.

The story itself is pretty good and some of the characters have depth to them. But the prose is pretty dreadful. If one of my teenaged sons had written this I'd be sending it back with criticism of repetition, spelling errors, and just poor use of language.

I don't know how it reads in the original so hard to say whether to blame Amundsen or his translator, but the publisher should be shot.

Compatible Toner Cartridge Set for Oki C310 C310dn C330dn C530 MC561 Black 3,500 Pages - Colour Yield 3,000 Pages 4-Pack
Offered by DoitwiserUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless - Avoid, 25 Jun. 2014
These cartridges are pretty useless. I bought them two months ago and already one colour has run out. Compare that with the genuine OKI one which lasted over a year. They also upset the printer so that you often have to turn it off and turn it back on again to get it to recognise that a cartridge has been replaced. Won't be making this mistake again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3