Profile for Mr. Russell Newton > Reviews

Content by Mr. Russell Newton

Mr. Russell Newton "rusnewton" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus 19)
Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus 19)
by Ian Rankin
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Rankin, 21 July 2014
Rankin never disappoints and even after 19 novels still manages to write a page-turner.

Berlin Noir: Penguin eBook: . (Crime, Penguin)
Berlin Noir: Penguin eBook: . (Crime, Penguin)
Price: 9.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Great trilogy, 21 July 2014
Recommended to me by a book publisher, I'd not heard of Kerr but an very glad I bought this trilogy. Set before and after WW2 in Nazi (before) and occupied (after) Germany the central character is nicely portrayed, the plots are strong and there is plenty of atmosphere. Definitely worth a read.

Dominion
Dominion
by C. J. Sansom
Price: 3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars "What might have been" historical novels can be pretty interesting and I thought Sansom's central idea -- of ..., 21 July 2014
This review is from: Dominion (Paperback)
"What might have been" historical novels can be pretty interesting and I thought Sansom's central idea -- of a Great Britain that allowed itself to become a vassal state of the Third Reich -- was well thought-out.

The first chapter was promising and although I read to the end of the book because I pretty much never give up on a novel and also because I wanted to find out what happened, some of the characters were pretty wooden. Perhaps this was deliberate as the book had a bit of the feel of some 1950s black-and-white movie, but perhaps it was just not great writing.

Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
by Robin Sloan
Price: 4.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 July 2014
This is an awesome little book. It was recommended to me by a client because our company codes in Ruby and that computer language features in the story. But don't let that put you off (and anyway, it shouldn't because Ruby is a cool language, honestly).

I guess the story is verging on Nervana but it's a tale well-told, with great characters and was just a lot of fun. I pretty much couldn't put it down.

Sohlberg and the Gift: an Inspector Sohlberg mystery (Inspector Sohlberg Mysteries Book 2)
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Story, Terrible Translation, 21 July 2014
I'm assuming this book was originally published in Norwegian and has been translated into English. If I'm wrong and the author is a native English-speaker then I'm amazed it got published, really.

The story itself is pretty good and some of the characters have depth to them. But the prose is pretty dreadful. If one of my teenaged sons had written this I'd be sending it back with criticism of repetition, spelling errors, and just poor use of language.

I don't know how it reads in the original so hard to say whether to blame Amundsen or his translator, but the publisher should be shot.

Compatible Toner Cartridge Set for Oki C310 C310dn C330dn C530 MC561 Black 3,500 Pages - Colour Yield 3,000 Pages 4-Pack
Offered by DoitwiserUK
Price: 48.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless - Avoid, 25 Jun 2014
These cartridges are pretty useless. I bought them two months ago and already one colour has run out. Compare that with the genuine OKI one which lasted over a year. They also upset the printer so that you often have to turn it off and turn it back on again to get it to recognise that a cartridge has been replaced. Won't be making this mistake again.

TP-Link TL-PA251KIT AV200+ Multi-Streaming Powerline Starter Kit with AC Pass Through (UK Plug Only)
Price: 22.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Brilliantly out-of-the-box, 5 May 2014
I had previously used powerline adapters from Netgear but one of them failed and so I bought these. They're much better - bandwidth seems better, the power pass-through is great because I am short of power sockets near my PCs & routers and they were completely plug & play.

D-Link Amplifi Dualband HD Media Router
D-Link Amplifi Dualband HD Media Router
Offered by Sandtony Consulting
Price: 69.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Very, very disappointed, 4 Feb 2014
I ordered this because I have an existing D-Link router (the 655) and it has been very good: easy to configure, reliable etc.

The reviews for this were positive so it seemed like a good choice.

Initially impressions were good: it was easy to set up a basic configuration using the browser and the interface was pretty much identical to my existing 655 which was pleasing. As a router, it seems to function perfectly well -- routing traffic from all my devices plus a number of Access Points scattered around the house.

BUT, the wireless functionality of the router WOULD NOT WORK AT ALL. So, bizarrely, while the router is perfectly happy routing traffic from my old Belkin AP (and even from its predecessor, the D-Link 655 with routing turned off so it just acts as an AP), the dual-channel WiFi just doesn't deliver: the configuration is straightforward and I have two decades of experience with network gear so it's not like I'm an idiot or anything (plus, again, the D-Link 655 interface is pretty much the same and the configuration I used was based on what had been working for me for the past few years on that one). Devices connected to the wireless channels _think_ they have a route out to the internet, but any traffic you try to put that way just hangs.

Calling D-Link support is 10 pence per minute and I know they're going to tell me to turn off every other device in the house, that I'm an idiot, that I need to reset to factory settings etc -- but in the end I very much doubt they will get me to try anything I have already tried in the four-plus hours I've been playing with it since it was delivered yesterday. I found some other posts suggesting I am not the only person with this problem, and indeed that the DHCP server is so patchy that one user had to reserve IPs for all his devices -- which kind of kills the point of DHCP doesn't it?

I have opened a ticket with D-Link but I'm not optimistic.

My advice: buy a different make (I'm trying the Asus by way of comparison, will review that soon).

The Sigil Trilogy
The Sigil Trilogy
by Henry Gee
Price: 10.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Sigil Trilogy (Paperback)
This is the first book I've read by Henry Gee and I was very impressed. The subject matter is original - SciFi that spans the distant past through to the near-future with some clever ideas. The quality of the writing is excellent. I can thoroughly recommend.

Hitch 22: A Memoir
Hitch 22: A Memoir
by Christopher Hitchens
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read in ages, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Hitch 22: A Memoir (Paperback)
Though I don't share Mr Hitchens' political views at all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is very well written, full of wonderful anecdotes and is engagingly revealing about the author as a person.

If I could give it six stars, I would.

Page: 1 | 2