Profile for Gabrielle O > Reviews

Content by Gabrielle O

Gabrielle O (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cole & Mason Electronic Precision Grind 21 cm Cheltenham Dark Wood and Stainless Steel Salt Mill

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely high quality salt mill, 26 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Looks gorgeous on the table, grinds salt nicely - the setting is quite fine, but you can adjust it to suit.

TP-LINK TL-WA750RE 150Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function,Easy Configuration)

3.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to set up, 19 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I couldn't get this to set up. It really shouldn't have been so difficult; I am not technically inept and am used to setting up technological gadgets and gizmos. I am not sure whether there was a fault or whether it simply did not work with my system for some unspecified reason. Had I bought this myself, I would have returned it to the shop.

So I'm afraid this review can't comment on how well the product works, because I wasn't able to get beyond set up stage.

I have been impressed with other TP Link products (I have the signal booster on my computer, and it's brilliant) so I am sorry to have had an unfulfilling experience with this one. I'd really hoped it would work well, because we have a real problem with getting a wifi signal up to the top of our house.

Philips Imageo 7007531PU Plastic Rechargeable Tea Light Set, 10cm Tall, White - Perfect for Creating a Touch of Ambiance this Christmas
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely soft light - easy to use, I'm very happy, 18 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was pleasantly surprised by these candles. As a new mum, I wanted to have a low light for breastfeeding at night. Obviously I wouldn't want to use real candles as I'm knackered all the time and am pretty sure I would manage to burn the house down with real flames! These are a lovely substitute.

The charging mechanism is simple - a plug with two ends, which plug into the candles. Other reviewers mention that the charge did not work, or did not last for very long, but I didn't have this experience myself. I charged the candles for quite a long time initially, and since then have just popped them on to charge for top ups every once in a while. I use them throughout the night and often fall asleep with the candles still on, and the charge seems to last for a few days easily. The lights turn on and off using a 'tip' mechanism, which I find very easy and intuitive to use - you literally just tip the candle on its side to turn it on or off. Very easy.

What doesn't work so well? Well, I have a few small gripes, though nothing huge. I did have a slight problem with charging on one occasion - one candle didn't charge at all, despite having been plugged in for hours. On reflection, I think I did not push the plug in to that candle as firmly as I should have. It's never happened again. My only other slight gripe is that there is no way of telling how much charge is left on the candles, so it's hard to know when to plug them in to recharge until they actually run out. But for the price that is not really a problem.

The quality of the light is really pleasant and much nicer than I was expecting from what is essentially a fake candle! It's a sort of low, warm flickering glow. I find it perfect for breastfeeding. It casts quite a low light, so you would probably want to use these candles to add to other light sources rather than to light a room on their own. If you wanted to do that, you would want to buy more of these candles - say, four or five. These two are proving to be a lovely calming addition to the night-time lighting in my bedroom.

Fisher-Price Discover 'n Grow Jumbo Baby Playmat
Fisher-Price Discover 'n Grow Jumbo Baby Playmat

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely big colourful playmat, 18 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Despite reading the product description, I guess I am not great with spatial awareness as I didn't fully take in the size of this playmat! It's quite big - for those of you who operate in feet and inches like I do, it's a bit under four foot by five foot.

The product quality is excellent, and the fabric is bright and soft. It's sort of wipe-clean, but in a soft sort of way. The backing fabric is a heavier duty material, which means I was comfortable taking the playmat on to the grass in the garden. The whole thing is also washable so it's very easy to use and then clean.

As well as the playmat itself, it comes with various tags and toys that attach to it. The toys are quite interactive - a hard plastic shape (perhaps to chew on for babies who are starting to teethe!), a soft shape with a rattle inside, etc. My five-week old baby is too young to really enjoy these yet, but they look good for the future. There are also extra tags where other toys can be attached. This will work nicely - I have some Lamaze toys that come with clips and I can imagine clipping those on in future so that everything is right there on the playmat to be played with.

The only thing I disliked was how the toys attached to the playmat - the attachment method (round clips that went on to the fabric tags) wasn't that secure, so the toys would often fall off when I picked up the playmat to put it away. A more secure way of attaching the toys to the mat would have improved this product.

However that really is being extremely picky - this is a lovely playmat and I was very pleased with it and would recommend it to friends.

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall
by Nathan Filer

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling but not for me, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I simply could not get through this book and didn't enjoy it. The story is about a young man suffering from mental health issues, who lost his brother at a young age. It is quite possible that other readers might find it very enjoyable, but personally I found the way the plot jumped around rather disjointed and I couldn't get into it easily. I did not like the font changes.

Actually, there were a lot of things I liked about this book, so I am prepared to think that I might just not have been in the mood. I will come back to this novel again in a few months' time and update this review if re-reading changes my mind...

A Tale for the Time Being
A Tale for the Time Being
by Ruth Ozeki

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully quirky, 18 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A delightfully quirky novel that navigates the fine line between fantasy and reality. When Ruth - a writer living on the West Coast of Canada - finds a parcel while beach combing, it prompts a journey of discovery as she finds out more about the letters and diary it contains. It's a good read, although I did find some of the 'explanations' of the plot towards the end rather laboured. These are the sort of literary machinations that I feel rather let down a book, and this is the case here - so, four stars from me, although it really was a good read.

The Rosie Project
The Rosie Project
by Graeme Simsion

5.0 out of 5 stars Side-splittingly funny, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Rosie Project (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
... in a kind of awful way, if you're familiar with dating (internet dating or otherwise). A really good read. The protagonist's voice is matter-of-fact in that peculiarly Aspergers kind of way, which lends itself to being both gut wrenchingly honest and killingly funny. I couldn't sleep until I'd finished the book!

Heft
Heft
by Liz Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Heft (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel! I really enjoyed it in the end. It was funny and well-written, but what I liked best was the redemptive feel of the novel's plot. A gentle and life affirming read.

Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind (The 99U Book Series)
by Jocelyn K. Glei

4.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag - good idea, sometimes well executed, 15 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hate saying that things are 'okay' but this really is. It's a slightly anodyne business book like so many others. It contains some stuff that's interesting, some stuff that's useful, and quite a bit of stuff that's neither.

Interesting to see Amazon publishing their own books. I like the overall concept, but I'm unclear about what the series is or why I would want to read other books like this. In terms of the execution of this particular book, I did find a lot of the content interesting and helpful to me, but there was perhaps not enough of an overall structure and voice bringing the whole book together and making it really compelling.

Parker Sonnet Brown Rubber Lacquer Pink Gold Trim Medium Nib Fountain Pen - Gift Boxed

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous pen; slightly dull packaging if giving as a gift, 15 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A gorgeous pen, which would make a nice gift for somebody special or for yourself! I had only ever used cheap Parker pens, or Lamy pens. So, hardly the upper end of the market. Still, in comparison to the fountain pens I am used to, this one writes beautifully. It also comes with a converter so you can use it either with an ink cartridge or by drawing ink up into the pen.

Let down slightly by the packaging - if I was giving this as a gift, I'd rather hope for something a bit more special in terms of presentation. I don't mean anything particularly swanky, just perhaps something a little better designed and striking. I'd give four and a half stars if Amazon would let us give half stars here! However, for the pen itself - definitely five stars. Writes beautifully and feels ergonomically designed and pleasing to hold. It's also very nice to look at.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20