Profile for Byrdman50 > Reviews

Content by Byrdman50

Byrdman50 (Brixton, London)

Page: 1 | 2
Gimme Some Lovin' (2010 Remaster)
Gimme Some Lovin' (2010 Remaster)

4.0 out of 5 stars Spencer Davis' American Single, 28 May 2013
I purchased this one track from Steve Winwood's 'Revolutions' compilation as a download for the simple reason that it is not on Island's excellent Spencer Davis Group compilation, 'Eight Gigs a Week : The Steve Winwood Years'. Well it is, but not in this form.
I've had 'Eight Gigs...' for many years. It is a comprehensive collection of all the tracks the group released with Steve Winwood except two, although they are mentioned in the booklet. The first of these is the dreadful aberration, 'Det War in Schoeneberg', a German sing-along, recorded in German for that market. It sounds sloppy by their normally high standards. They seem a little embarrassed to be performing the song at all. Still it had a good instrumental on the B-side, 'Stevie's Groove', which is on 'Eight Gigs...'
The other absent recording is the one being mentioned in this review, the version of 'Gimme Some Lovin' ', remixed at the time for the American market. Producer, Jimmy Miller, added backing vocals and percussion, performed by Dave Mason, Chris Wood and Jim Capaldi. It obviously did the trick, as he did the same thing for their next single, 'I'm a Man', except that on this occasion the SDG/ Traffic coalition was released worldwide.
In some ways this has become the standard version. The last time I heard the song in a TV advert, this was the one they used. Traffic also played the song live this way, when Dave Mason rejoined them briefly in the early seventies. I couldn't say for sure why this was not deemed fit for inclusion on 'Eight Gigs a Week'. Perhaps they didn't want the same song twice on the album. More likely it is a matter of sound quality. The compilation producer of 'Eight Gigs...' prided himself on finding the best quality copies of each song, and this remix slightly falls below that standard.
This is hardly surprising, given the low technology available for overdubbing in those days. This version of the single must have been a tape-to tape copy, with Traffic's contribution thrown on top. There is a slight drop-out in the intro, but it sounds pretty good thereafter. I'm sure that the new mastering is not to blame. 'Eight Gigs...' and the Traffic remasters demonstrate considerable care and attention. I have no doubt the new remasters on 'Revolutions' have been prepared with similar diligence.
The download proved to be the perfect and cheapest way to complete my Spencer Davis/ Steve Winwood collection. Five stars for the song, minus one for the slightly flaky sound.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars &1/2. The Real 'Get Back' Album, 19 April 2013
First off, let me apologise for inadvertently reviewing the May 1969 'final' assembly of 'Get Back', rather than the January 1970 final one. I did not pay proper attention to Amazon's track listing in 'product information' at first. I should note that Glyn Johns also had a go at compiling a selection in March 1969, which he subsequently rejected. I am leaving the review here, as there seems to be no 1969 version for sale on Amazon, and they are nearly the same.
The 1970 selection dropped 'Teddy Boy'. It was known by then that Paul was recording it for his first album, besides which, it is plain from Lennon's stroppy 'square dancing' calls during the song, that he hated it. The other CD on Amazon of this name, 'Get Back: The Glyn Johns Final Compilation (UK Import)' includes two takes of 'Teddy Boy' as bonuses. Perhaps this edition does the same (Amazon does not list all the available tracks). If not, hear an edit of the two takes on 'Anthology 3'. "Well, that's one for further consideration," said Paul at the end. We all know otherwise.
If, like me, you have the May 1969 album, you can find how to access the tracks, that were added to the version for sale here, in a comment, that I added below.

Going by a glance at the track listing of the sixteen songs on the Amazon page, this IS the real Glyn Johns sequence for the 'Get Back' album. If the sound quality is as good as some reviewers say, then here it is: the lost Beatles album of 1969 in a good facsimile of its intended sleeve, as described in detail by Mal Evans in a mid-1969 'Beatles Monthly' magazine. Buy it. I haven't. I already own an Italian edition of the CD from the mid-90s with even earlier Glyn Johns mixes (taken from acetates) as bonus tracks, AND a fine mid-80s vinyl copy, complete with a high-quality sleeve and an insert that reproduces Mal Evans' article from the fanzine.
This album has different takes/ edits/ mixes of some familiar songs from 'Let It Be', including even more studio chatter, as well as a rough but endearing take of 'Don't Let Me Down', which ranks as my my favourite version (Lennon: "Hit it, Bill", before the keyboard break at the end) with THREE-part harmonies on the chorus, like the rooftop version. It also delivers some insight into the precarious condition of the Beatles by this time. George's comment along the lines of, "[Shall we] reload our stomachs?" after 'Let It Be' is more heart-wrenching than amusing. Paul repeats the remark with a cheerfulness that belies any hurt he must have felt. John then rubs it in further, adding, "Are we supposed to giggle in the solo? Okay." The master version of 'The Long and Winding Road', minus orchestration, then follows, the one that ended up on 'Anthology 3'. 'Let It Be... Naked' includes the take from the film soundtrack instead.
Another important inclusion on this album is the complete jam of 'Dig It', as featured in the film. Even the 50-second excerpt on the 'Let It Be' album has proven sufficient to spark whole new areas of discussion amongst conspiracy theorists, who believe that Paul McCartney was replaced by an imposter in late 1966. In those fifty seconds John Lennon seems to list a selection of people, who are believed by many to have died, and been usurped by imposters: Bob Dylan and Brian Jones ("...'Like a Rolling Stone', like a Rolling Stone..."), B.B. King, Doris Day and Matt Busby. The theorists would say that Lennon was dropping a massive hint about his (erstwhile) partner in song and the kind of people , who would be employed to engineer/ cover up such a conspiracy ("...like the F.B.I. and the C.I.A. and the BBC..."). I do not believe in this plot myself, but I would concede that Paul does not look much like himself for much of 1967 and 1968, going by many official photographs of the group from that time.
This collection is a must for any Beatle devotee/ scholar to hear. Far more interesting than the bland 'Let It Be... Naked'. I doubt this original version of the album will ever see the light of day officially, while McCartney and Starkey are alive. Paul must baulk at his friends' heartless remarks/ responses on the recordings to his songs, and the solicitous Richard, I feel sure, would want to shield Paul from further exposure to the hurt revealed on this album. Neither do they seem in any hurry to release the film, which is bootlegged from time to time as a result (e.g. 'THE BEATLES LET IT BE DVD, LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION, New & sealed, Region Free').
I take it from other reviewers here that this edition has eight bonus tracks of jams, etc. One word of warning regarding the r'n'r oldies/ jams on this CD, or indeed any other 'Get Back'/ 'Let It Be' collections: by this time the Beatles had absolutely NO feel for the songs/ music that had inspired them in their youth. Their playing sounds fine on their own new songs, but becomes turgid, when tackling older songs, be they their own or covers. To hear this in excelsis, try something like 'Black Album 2CD set', or perhaps don't. Depends on the degree of your fascination with this most over-exposed group of musicians. Mine is almost unlimited.
In summary, buy this to add to your official Beatles collection. I have absolutely NO conscience about buying Beatles bootlegs. I have bought most of the official releases two to three times over. If your conscience is troubled by buying albums which will not reward the artists/ writers financially, buy 'Let It Be... Naked' as well, so that our beleaguered billionaire heroes see their much-needed royalties.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2013 7:56 PM GMT

Stop The Clocks Ep
Stop The Clocks Ep
Offered by unknown_pleasures
Price: 6.93

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Little Extra - definitely, not maybe, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Stop The Clocks Ep (Audio CD)
By the time the 'Stop the Clocks' compilation came out in 2006 I had all but given up on Oasis. I DID go out of my way to buy this little gem though.
Great as they are, I already had the early B-sides on this EP (I would recommend B-sides compilation, The Masterplan to those who are too young to have bought their early singles), but the other two tracks on this make a fine addition to their early material in their own right.
I was gratified to find the first CD release of 'Cigarettes And Alcohol' in its demo form. This first appeared on a giveaway cassette from the NME in early 1994 (if memory serves). It is a great antidote to the over-produced album version (and subsequent single). It makes greater play of the stolen T.Rex riff, which gets buried under a lead guitar drone on the finished track.
The live reading of 'Some Might Say', from a forgotten venue in 1995, is a powerful reminder of what was good about Oasis. Do not be put off that this is a cassette recording taken from the mixing desk. The sound is as punchy as the lead singer once was. Liam's endorsement, at the end, of their (then) new drummer is apposite, "...splendid!"
This is a must for those who remember early Oasis fondly, and recommended to those who are approaching their best work (1993-1996) for the first time.
It can be found cheaper now than it was then, via several Marketplace traders, so BUY IT!

This Byrd Has Flown
This Byrd Has Flown
Offered by SmokeCDs
Price: 35.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Fooled by Notions of Remastering, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: This Byrd Has Flown (Audio CD)
I feel no need to do a general review of this album. The first reviewer here does a wonderful and insightful job, to which I could add little.
I am very fond of 'Firebyrd', which I bought on vinyl in the mid-eighties, and later as the Portuguese budget CD, 'Firebyrd'. By then the album being discussed here album had come and gone.
After I read 'Mr Tambourine Man: The Story of the Byrds' Gene Clark' by John Einarson, I felt the urge to seek out this expanded (and long-deleted) reissue. He described it as a different mix (unless I'm confusing matters with something from '"Byrds": Timeless Flight Revisited : the Sequel' by John Rogan). I searched around online for the best price, which STILL turned out to be on Amazon, and only slightly cheaper than the currently advertised price. I was HOPING for a new mix, as the original leaves much to be desired, particularly the clumping artificial snare drum sound, always so high in the sound balance. I was in for a disappointment. This CD uses the same mixes, and the sound quality on some of the tracks is inferior to the cheap Portuguese CD.
There was only ever one other reason to buy this CD, the song 'All I Want'. It is trumpeted in some quarters as a sort of last masterpiece. It is a fine song, recorded with skilled musicians, but Clark's vocals let it down. They are tentative at best, and it is clear that the producer had to make the most of the vocal he had, after Clark had died. There is an outburst, for politeness call it a warble, in the song's coda, which makes my flesh creep (with embarrassment?) every time I hear it. The coda itself comes in on a poor edit, unless the 'clunk' is Geno bumping into the mic. A minor disappointment at the very least.
If 'All I Want' were available as a download, there would be almost no need for this album at all. 'Firebyrd' is VERY much cheaper, and generally sounds better. I don't much enjoy the other two bonus tracks either. Save the expense and buy 'Firebyrd' instead.
**** for the original album, minus one for the poor job made of this version.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2013 11:09 AM BST

Closer
Closer

4.0 out of 5 stars This is for Robespierre, not the remastering revolution, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: Closer (Audio CD)
This review is for the customer who wondered if there was any big audio upgrade in the latest (and double) CD of 'Closer'. I am aware that it was quite a while ago, when you added your comment to one of the customer reviews. You may well have bought the thing by now.
I shall leave the emotional impressions and memories to others on this occasion. Your reviews are all valid, but Robespierre's question needs answering.
I HAVE just bought the 2CD 'Closer'(cheaply and second-hand). Until I bought the 'Heart And Soul' box around 2000, I had not owned any Joy Division on CD (I am fifty. I bought the original LPs/singles). The box set was just getting less expensive. I think it was given a cheaper reissue at about this time, so the price on the 1997 version took a dip as well. It was this one I bought.
I have just done a side-by-side comparison between the latest 'Closer' and the box set rendition of the same album. Quite revealing, but not for the right reasons. Though a medium-quality hi-fi (using speakers) I find no detectable differences. On headphones (a decent Sennheiser set) I notice maybe a TINY low end boost, very subtle indeed, as it does not change the general sound. This is of course a good thing. There has been no attempt to turn up the volume on this new version. The levels on meters are nigh-on identical. Most pleasingly, the new mastering has not fallen into that 'compress everything' mentality that has blighted many recent remasters (Rolling Stones label Universal remasters - no thanks - I completed my collection with second-hand 90's Virgin remasters). Do however turn the volume down a bit before playing the live disc (or don't). It is LOUD in that way most modern CDs are. Fair play though. As a cassette recording it has no real dynamic range.
One star off for not realeasing the live disc separately, as with 'Preston' and the great 'Les Bains-Douches' CD.
It would seem that the late 90s/2000 Joy Division remasters were done well enough that no major changes have been made. Do not bother, unless you are after the ULU concert disc. Turn up your bass control a tiny bit, if you wish to replicate the only noticeable difference. You won't notice much. Their records were never very bassy anyway.

Rockin' at the Star-Club (1962)
Rockin' at the Star-Club (1962)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Review, Just a Track Listing And a Few Comments, 31 May 2011
(From amazon.com)
RARE 16-track version. Track Listings: 1. I Saw Her Standing There 2. Sweet Little Sixteen 3. Where Have you Been all my Life 4. Hippy Hippy Shake 5. Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby 6. Matchbox 7. Hallelujah, I Lover her so 8. Hully Gully 9. Roll Over Beethoven 10. Ask me Why 11. Twist and Shout 12. Kansas City / Hey, Hey, Hey 13. Be-Bop-A-Lula 14. Nothin' Shakin' (But the Leaves on the Trees) 15. I'm Talking About You 16. Long Tall Sally

I used to have the German Lingasong/Bellaphon vinyl double (sleeve artwork as Live at the Star Club - Germany CD) and single albums, the first of MANY releases of these recordings. It is a very long time, since I heard them. When I get around to it (and when it arrives), I may do a more detailed review of this.

This seems an intelligent selection from the 30-odd tracks that exist, as my memory serves. I will be interested to see how it sounds. Much was made, at the time of the original album, of the filtering job that was done to 'clean up' the original tape recording. It sounded as though the recordings were separated into frequency bands across the spectrum, and then recombined in a sort of mixing process. My memory is that it made the recordings sound rather hollow. It will be interesting to see how this release from a few years later (1991) came out.

At the time (1977) I found this album fascinating in spite of the sonic deficiencies. As a temporary rating I award four for that memory, minus one for the sound. I will say that I was more excited when THE BEATLES AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL (JAPANESE CD) came out in the same year.

Original Punks
Original Punks
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars And Here Is a Track Listing, the Least Anyone Can Do, 29 May 2011
This review is from: Original Punks (Audio CD)
I'll review this one day. For now I give you what you do not currently get, a track listing:

Track Listing:
28. Death Trip
29. I'm A Man

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Cheap, But Purchase With Confidence, 24 May 2011
There is not much to add to the other reviewer's remarks. I bought this with his recommendation in mind, and was not disappointed. Whoever has made this CD (and I think it is fair to say that this CD has never been officially released in this country or any western country, OR any eastern country) has done an excellent job. The bass and treble DO cut through the jet-engine roar of the audience, even though the sound balance is necessarily poor at times (two guitars sharing the same track, vocals and bass sharing another, on the original tapes). The mastering seems very good, and quite loud, especially compared to the unofficial mid-nineties CD of the two complete shows (still available as AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL), which comes from passable rough mixes of the original three-track (yes, really!) tapes, but now sounds very feeble in terms of recording levels.
Back in the later nineties, after the 'Anthology' project, Ringo promised that "the 'Get Back' album and the Hollywood Bowl" would be be attended to next. Well, 'Let It Be - Naked' (not exactly the 'Get Back' album) DID follow, but nothing came of 'At the Hollywood Bowl', perhaps the only chart-topping album not to be found on CD.
This is an album that I have wanted to have on CD for years. It now can sit proudly with my other Beatles CDs. It is not going to be a vital purchase for everyone, but for those, to whom it matters, PURCHASE WITH CONFIDENCE.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2012 7:35 PM BST

Live
Live
Price: 7.29

2.0 out of 5 stars As a CD This Makes a Better DVD, 17 April 2011
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
I only spotted this dubious CD a week ago, when I was ordering the rather fine recent archive Burritos CD Authorized Bootleg / Fillmore East, New York, N.Y. ¿ Late Show, November 7, 1970. There was no track listing available (still isn't), and it was somewhat cheaper than it is being advertised today. I went to a rival site, got the listing, and heard samples. The smell of a rat was distinctly noticeable. The three tracks by the early Byrds were all studio recordings. This led me to conjecture that this CD must be the soundtrack to a DVD release. I went ahead and ordered the CD (yes from here, Amazon), because there was JUST enough on it to entice me as an avid collector of the Byrds. Amazon UK do not advertise the DVD, but I had no trouble finding it on amazon.de and amazon.fr (I have ordered it through the latter. Sadly the best price was with one of the rather hopeless sellers who love to boast their 'delai de livraison de 7 - 14 jours', if that's music-for-you, so I have not seen it yet). Anyway back to the merits of the CD.
It opens, despite the applause, with a basically studio version of 'The Times They Are A-Changin' (the alternative arrangement intended for the aborted single), also found as a bonus track on Turn! Turn! Turn!. This version is far preferable to the ropey version on the album proper. You can also see it on The Byrds - In Performance and on YouTube. Next up are slightly truncated mono studio versions of 'Eight Miles High' and 'So You Want to Be a Rock'N'Roll Star'. As mimed video clips on DVD this would be fine, but on CD this is an insult to all sense (and probably a copyright infringement to BMG/Sony).
The next two tracks, 'Nothin' to It' and 'You Ain't Goin' Nowhere' are from the 'Earl Scruggs Family and Friends' TV show, and sound just fine, but are also available on the far more interesting Byrds (and related) compilation from Australia Byrd Parts, Vol. 2.
There then follows a long live rendition of 'Eight Miles High' by the McGuinn/Clarence White/Skip Battin/Gene Parson line-up. In fact this is more of an instumental, as it does not even feature the one verse that usually interrupts the long jam in other versions from this time. Funny I should use that phrase.
The next track, 'Long Jam' is an excerpt from yet ANOTHER, but slower, performance of 'Eight MIles High' by what sounds like the same line-up (roadie, Jimmi Seiter adding percussion), recorded a few months later. Seems like it could be from the German 'Beat Club' show, soon to appear on DVD in its own right as The Lost Broadcasts (CD+DVD). Is somebody going to tell David Crosby and the estate of Gene Clark that they are being denied royalties by this retitling of 'Eight Miles High'?
Up next is a solid rendition of Art Reynolds's 'Jesus Is Just Alright' by the same line-up. Fine, and almost identical to other live Byrds performances of the song.
The final three tracks emanate from the 1990 'Roy Orbison Tribute' TV show, where McGuinn, Crosby and Hillman appeared with, and without, Bob Dylan. First up, a clean sturdy version of 'Turn! Turn! Turn!'. They then begin a three verse rendition of 'Mr.Tambourine Man', during which ol' gruntin' Bob comes on, and sort of duets. Mostly in the way a dog might 'duet' with a song being played on a gramophone. All good fun, but not a patch on Gene Clark's three-verse recording on his 1984 album Firebyrd. Finally Hillman's Desert Rose colleague, John Jorgenson, switches to mandolin, and they perform a decent 'He Was a Friend of Mine', allowing Crosby to soar a little. The sleeve says 'with Bob Dylan', but if this is so, he is not singing. Some would say he wasn't SINGING on the previous track. The first two songs also appear on the 1990 box set The Byrds. The last song makes its first CD appearance. None of these three are on the 2006 box There Is a Season: +DVD.
All in all, there is little reason to own this CD. Almost ANY of the aforementioned albums would be a better investment, as would the other original Byrds albums. If you REALLY must hear this collection, I reckon the DVD is going to be a better bet. There is no place on a CD for the soundtrack recording of a group miming to a record. Only one question. Why does amazon.co.uk not sell the DVD, when .fr and .de do?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2012 5:08 AM BST

Penetration: The Best Of The Legendary Demo And Rehearsal Recordings
Penetration: The Best Of The Legendary Demo And Rehearsal Recordings
Offered by Giant Entertainment
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Iggy's Back Pages at Their Best, 2 Feb 2011
There are many cd and vinyl collections representing the material Iggy Pop created with James Williamson in the first half of the seventies. Aside from the two very different mixes of "Raw Power", now both available on Sony/BMG cds, there are albums consisting of Stooges demos, Stooges rehearsals, "Raw Power" rough mixes, "Kill City" (credited to Pop and Williamson) and various combinations. In the seventies there were EPs (for the benefit of the under-40s, extended play 7" records) on Bomp records, and a French 7" single, very popular import items in my youth.
This album is a very selective trawl of all the unofficial categories above. Most of the items on this album appear in about the best sound quality I have ever heard them. Just bear in mind that we are talking about relatively casual recordings here. The selection is far less exhaustive than some of the two-disc selections, but they tend to suffer lesser sound quality, and frankly diminishing artistic returns on the greater number of tracks. I have a few of them, and frankly they never leave their cases/sleeves. This single cd really DOES have the best of them at a truly budget price (3.93 on this site). It's the only one I ever play.
So what do we get? The first three tracks were originally released as the "Sick of You" EP, culled from studio-recorded demos. "Sick of you" does the old slow-fast-slow trick. Sasquatch-in-Essex said in his review that this is worth the price of the cd alone. He is right. Iggy starts out as a yowling crooner, screaming and yelling when the pace doubles. After some brief guitar squalling from Williamson, the song returns to the way it began. This song, better developed, would have made a great inclusion on "Raw Power". "Scene of the Crime" comes across as monotonous by comparison, but is still well worth having, and "Tight Pants" was rewritten for "Raw Power" as "Shake Appeal". I prefer the demo.
The next eight tracks are from the "Kill City" album. Most cd transfers of this are dreadful. The tracks on here never sounded better, although bizarrely they appear in mono, except for "Johanna", which is a completely new mix, lacking the irritating and unnecessary saxophone part and featuring lead guitar instead. This is worth the price of entry alone for me. The use of sax on the "Kill City" album is not all padding though. I could not imagine "Sell Your Love", where it becomes truly integral to the structure of the track, without it. The sax adds to the intimacy (no, really!) created by Iggy's voice. "No Sense of Crime" is also a fine ballad, making good use of saxophone. "I Got Nothing", from the later days of the Stooges, is also something of a ballad, but with a rocking chorus and great backing vocals, which point to what the Sales Brothers would bring to the "Lust for Life" album.
"Consolation Prizes", "Kill City" and "Beyond the Law" are rockers in the Keith Richards open-tuned guitar mode, and good enough songs to bear comparison to Keith's work on "Exile on Main Street". It is astonishing that a song as great as "Consolation Prizes" nearly didn't see the light of day at all. It would have been such a sadness if James Williamson had never finshed off the "Kill City" album - some two or three years after it was started.
Next up are alternative mixes of the French "I Got a Right"/"Gimme Some Skin" single (actually from a various artists LP, "The Best of Bomp"), studio demos of the same period as "Sick of You". These are crazed rockers, performed in a manner that only the Stooges could manage. Like the other demos the sound is a bit thin, but you should hear the inferior copies (no, don't bother). The former song represents Iggy's libertarian, rather moral, side, and the latter...well...cheap sex, expensive drugs. If Iggy was living the life he describes in "Gimme Some Skin" and many other songs, it is no shock he ended up so exhausted and demented by the mid-seventies.
Of the next four tracks: "Raw Power" is a rehearsal room recording (adding Scott Thurston on piano), and sounds typical of the many tracks that exist from this source. You get an idea how the live five-piece Stooges played. It might have been more fun to include one the unrecorded songs instead, such as "C**k in My Pocket". A similar recording of "Head On" is now on the Legacy Edition of "Raw Power". The other three are rough mixes of actual "Raw Power" tracks. "I Need Somebody" is gutless and adds nothing in this mix. "Gimme Danger" is plain and dry, offering some insight into the track's arrangement. The raw mix of "Penetration" explains why Bowie, on his mix, loaded so much echo delay onto the snare drum during the intro - Scotty Asheton seems unable to hit it in anything like time.
These rough mixes are clearly the weak spot of this collection. The cd would have benefitted more by the addition of the remaining three "Kill City" tracks, either in their place or as well.
The collection ends with the title track of the "Jesus Loves the Stooges" EP. A rehearsal room jam (actually two edited together), this is a piece of mock-gospel, led by Thurston's piano. It's not a favourite of mine, but it needs to be here for the completeness of the 7" tracks. The original B-side was two of the "Kill City" songs, which preceded the album.
Minor gripes aside this collection is an astonishing bargain, to be placed in any Iggy collection between "Raw Power" and "The Idiot". The performances range from intimate to distasteful (or even tasteless). The only complication is that you might want the complete "Kill City" as well (it has now apparently been given a proper remastering job). I have had THIS cd for years. Guess what I am going to buy next.
Now we need cd remasters of "The Idiot" and "Lust for Life". It's over twenty years since THEY came out, you know...they're sounding a little feeble now...or is that my ears...(the reviewer is then led away by kind men in white coats to a place of safety for distressed gentlefolk...still muttering)...

Page: 1 | 2