Profile for H. P. Pearson > Reviews

Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
by Toby Hemenway
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, 9 Aug 2014
I delayed buying this because I was put off by the title. However, I'm glad I bought it because I think it quite superb in its clarity, detail and examples. If marooned on a desert island with one paperback book on permaculture, this would be my choice.

Restoration Agriculture
Restoration Agriculture
by Mark Shepard
Price: 16.54

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Classic, 26 Sep 2013
This richly deserves to take its place alongside classics like works by J Russell Smith (Tree Crops), George Henderson (Farming Ladder), James Sholto Douglas and Robert de Hart (Forest Farming; and Forest Gardening), Masanobu Fukuoka (One Straw Revolution) P A Yeomans (The Keyline Plan etc), Takao Furuno (The Power of Duck), Mollison & Holmgren (Permaculture, various), Geoff Lawton (Permaculture dvds, various), Holzer (Sepp Holzer's Permaculture etc).

A remarkable contribution to creating profitable farm-scale sustainable permaculture systems to produce healthy and wholesome foods. Highly recommended.

Why Catholics Are Right
Why Catholics Are Right
by Michael Coren

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite superb, 10 Mar 2012
I had never heard of Mr Coren before, but am very glad I took the risk of buying this remarkable book. Truly excellent in presenting facts in the face of ill-informed fiction about the Church. A must-have for every Christian home.

Madeleine
Madeleine
by Kate McCann
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars True Grit, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Madeleine (Hardcover)
As a father of four daughters, I simply bought this book as an act of solidarity for the McCann family, whose plight has deeply touched me, for there but for the grace of God goes every parent. After just a day, I am already 25% into the book - a good story, told charmingly, modestly and simply, of a loving family, devoted to their hard-won children, which has come up in the world through sheer determination and hard work. It is that same determination which has kept the McCanns going these long years since Maddie's disappearance, despite every discouragement imaginable. I am saddened that anyone should think ill of them, the more so now I have started to read their own account of events - Honi soit qui mal y pense. I cannot wait to finish the book. Or to hear that Maddie has been restored to her family, safe and well.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2011 9:42 AM BST

The Cross and the Third Reich
The Cross and the Third Reich
by John Frain

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally good, 26 Feb 2010
Authoritative, well researched and compelling reading, I thoroughly recommend it to any student of Church history in the period in question. Magnificent!

Zero Base Policy
Zero Base Policy
by Madsen Pirie
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting the 'Great' back in Britain, 1 Dec 2009
An excellent, clear-sighted and thought-provoking review of a British government not fit for purpose. Probably the very best blue-print for an incoming government to follow to restore our country.

Is Jesus Coming Soon?
Is Jesus Coming Soon?
by Ralph Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy book for anyone who takes their faith seriously, 14 Oct 2001
This review is from: Is Jesus Coming Soon? (Paperback)
Written in the last millennium by the author of that seminal work "Hungry for God", this is a powerfully prophetic book, dealing with the essential issues in salvation history of how we got here, where we are, and what next - issues which it uses Scripture to unwrap with joy, verve and clarity. According to my understanding, it is soundly based on Scripture and Catholic theology, and reading it was truly an Emmaus experience (Lk 24: 32). As I read it, I heard myself shouting "Yes!" and "Aha!" throughout.
It also touches on the Second Coming in some detail, and one is forced to admit that in the light of events unfolding since the book was written, particularly recent events, some of his conclusions are uncannily prescient.
If having read it, you do not change your way of life, you are probably already dead. A must-buy for anyone who takes their faith seriously.