Profile for Bobby Chariots > Reviews

New York In The 70's
New York In The 70's
Price: 9.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece number 3?, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: New York In The 70's (Audio CD)
I had the privilege of seeing Luke Haines play live back in February and it was noticeable that he seemed very at ease with the world and had a swagger like the Cerne Abbas man! I remember thinking to myself, “I bet his upcoming album will be a corker!”. And I was right!

It is widely acknowledged by those familiar with his that New Wave by The Auteurs and Baader Meinhoff are two sheer masterpieces. His work since has ranged from the very good to, at times, not so good.

In my humble opinion, New York in the 70s is the best thing he has done since New Wave and Baader Meinhoff. There are certain tunes on this record that are as good as anything he has ever written, New York City Breakdown and Cerne Abbas Man particularly stand out. The album as a whole, however, unlike some of his work, hangs together as a splendid record. It is an absolute gem of an album. Really catchy tunes peppered with Mr Haines’ razor-sharp humour and it paints a wonderful picture of decadent NY in the 70s.

This really deserves to earn the lug-holes of a far greater audience.

Olympia
Olympia
Price: 10.62

5.0 out of 5 stars David Moyes replacing Sir Alex Ferguson, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Olympia (Audio CD)
How do you follow an album like Austra's first CD, Feel It Break?

It was one of those unexpected moments in an exhausted world of music where you feel that you are hearing something as special as The Smiths or Pixies. Not the music is anything like those; all that it shares is that X-ingredient (can't bring myself to say X-Factor anymore!). It was an unexpected masterpiece in amazing electronic music.

So what about Olympia then? Anybody who was fearing a Feel It Break Lite II as a follow-up can breathe easy. They have expanded considerably but you can still recognise them instantly.

This CD doesn't headbutt you in the same way as Feel It Break but cor blimey, it doesn't take long to realise that you are listening to a leap forward from a genius act

Rising and Falling
Rising and Falling
Price: 12.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece!, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Rising and Falling (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Layo & Bushwacka for a while now and used to see their DJ sets at the dearly-departed End club occasionally.

As well as DJ's, they have produced an ecclectic succession of top notch electronic music over the years. This is their 4th studio CD. The previous three are all excellent but, being hyper-critical, have never quite managed to achieve musical nirvana as a whole.

I have bee listening to this for a couple of weeks now. Although on the first few listens, I suspected it was something a bit special but now that it has penetrated, it can only be described as a masterpiece.

Undoubtedly the album of 2012 for me and there has been some stiff competition in the electronic music part of the world!

Deep, dark and extremely satisfying. Awesome stuff!!

Coexist
Coexist
Price: 7.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: Coexist (Audio CD)
Who could fail to love the first XX CD (although I think there was a huge injustice that they pipped Wild Beasts - Two Dancers to the Mercury Music Prize).

The first CD had novelty value and a unique sound, although containing some good tunes, I always thought the lyrics sounded like they had been written by a five-year-old.

On Co-exist, the tunes have gone and the lyrics sound as though they have been written by the five-year-old's younger sibling. I have tried to listen to it about a dozen times now but only manage to get about 80% through it; it just becomes an irritating grating experience listening to the pair of them crooning on about the unsatisfactory state of "the relationship", while the tunes and beats are tuneless and discordant.

Very rarely do I feel cross about wasting 8 on a CD. This is one of them!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2012 10:47 AM BST

THE AUTOMATIC PROCESS
THE AUTOMATIC PROCESS
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime (after two or three listens!), 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: THE AUTOMATIC PROCESS (Audio CD)
I first became acquaited with Home Video after hearing a remix of Gas Tank hiidden away on the bonus disc of Sasha's Invol2ver CD. This led me to purchase their first CD, No Certain Night or Morning, which is a great CD and what a find!

I got an early copy of The Automatic Process on US import and on first few listens, I felt it was a bit lightweight and found the vocals a little irritating. But then I remembered I felt the same when I first heard this when I first heard their first CD also. After a few listens though, this CD comes to you and, when it does, is almost too good to take in all at once.

This album is a significant evolution from No Certain Night or Morning, but they also manage to retain their delicious trademark sound, which I have seen described as a meeting of minds between Radiohead and Massive Attack. That comparison is not too far off the mark and they certainly have the strong songs to match.

Very highly recommended.