Profile for Paul Tolin > Reviews

Paul Tolin "paultolin"

Making Sense of Japanese
Making Sense of Japanese
by Jay Rubin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for beginner or intermediate level., 11 Dec 2011
Bought this book hoping it would help put a few more pieces of the jigsaw together but to be honest it hasn't. I'm half way through my second year of learning Japanese and I think this book is more suited to learners of a higher level. I found the book boring probably because the examples were way out of my league and not at all helpful to me. The section on wa and ga went on for eternity and what I learned could actually have been written in a paragraph. In a nutshell, I wouldn't buy this book unless I was studying at degree level.

Body Sculpture BE5920 Fan Elliptical Trainer
Body Sculpture BE5920 Fan Elliptical Trainer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 1 Aug 2010
Like many others who have left good reviews I too was pleased with my purchase as it seemed to represent great value for money. However, after only a few months (which would be 4 - 5 hours use) I noticed a horrible grinding noise. I removed the covers and inspected the mechanism looking for the noise but could not find it. So I sprayed a bit of grease over the chain and all moving parts which helped for a further couple of months.
This was just a sticking plaster remedy though, and the ugly truth was yet to be revealed!
The chain (which was tensioned correctly) started to jump teeth and I was forced to remove the covers again. I found that the main shaft on which the fan casing rotates on had eroded so badly that the cross trainer could no longer be used safely. The shaft and indeed the centre of the fan casing are both made of very cheap steel and simply rubbed each other away. So, If you're looking for a good value cross trainer which will last for less than 10 hours then this is the one for you! My local rag and bone man will be delighted when he comes down my street next week.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2012 10:16 AM BST