Profile for Lizzie > Reviews

Rediscovered Treasures: A New Life for Old Objects
Rediscovered Treasures: A New Life for Old Objects
by Ellen Dyrop

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 3 Mar 2011
I absolutely love this book. I didn't have really high hopes as I have bought books like this before and been disappointed as they just seem to have images of peoples homes and lots of repetitive text. This book is completely different though, it's FULL of gorgeous images and the text is short and to the point with an instructions section at the back.
The ideas in this book are completely original too (unlike other similar books) and it really is inspiring. It has made me look at 'junk' in a completely new way and I already love collecting bits and bobs and visiting car boot sales so, if you don't, you may be a convert after reading this book!! Highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2012 6:04 PM GMT

Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic Interiors
Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic Interiors
by Rachel Ashwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, 13 Jan 2010
I really like Rachel Ashwells style and shabby chic in general but I have found her past books to be messy, too frilly, too much going on and badly laid out. This book, however, was a joy to read.
The pictures are gorgeous and her homes are so beautiful! Rachel Ashwell always states how homes should be uncluttered and filled with things we really love, in her previous books I have doubted this as her home looked full to the brim with ruffles, and frills and to my mind quite cluttered! In this book, however this belief really shines through as her house is full of beautiful things set against a backdrop of clean lines and lots of white, my sort of shabby chic! Her design philosophy of beauty, comfort and functionality is obvious in her homes also, you can really see and understand why she has chosen the pieces she has, she must spend a long time editing! Her main home is stunning and I like her slight change in direction towards darker woods and more ethnic influences mixed with her classic colour palette and flowers. The frills and ruffles have been toned down and she has an amazing collection of vintage homewares. I found the book to be very inspiring and I have made changes to my home since reading the book. I have actually read the book twice and the only criticism I have is that there could be more text (I read the whole book in one evening)and more explanation concerning the layout of rooms. For eye candy purposes however, and for being an inspirational book that Im sure I will keep re-reading, it delivers 100%!

Sew Sunny Homestyle
Sew Sunny Homestyle
by Finnanger Tone

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dissapointing, 21 Aug 2009
This review is from: Sew Sunny Homestyle (Paperback)
This book is lovely to look at and the pictures are very pretty but....if you dont particularly like making things that have no use, i wouldnt recommend this book! It would be great if you had children(which i dont) and wanted to make them cuddly toys and dolls but projects you can actually use in the house are minimal in this book and maybe the title should not include 'homestyle' as this indicated to me more soft furnishings than 'forest animals'! I also found something a bit creepy about the posed photos of several girls, all with blonde hair wearing what look like nighties (maybe thats just me!) A few examples of the pointless projects(in my opinion)are: the angelic cow (????), the dolls, and alot of the seaside themed things (i would rather have real shells then fabric ones!) Just to stress the positives though, this book is VERY pretty and im sure alot of the things would be fun to make, I was just looking for sewing projects that were pretty and useful e.g. the footstool, the fabric boxes and the hanging wall baskets, I will be making these. Considering there are so many sewing books on the market now, there are others i would recommend more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2010 12:02 AM BST