Profile for Julie Cutler > Reviews

Content by Julie Cutler
Top Reviewer Ranking: 424

Julie Cutler (Warwickshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Marketing CIM Certificate in Professional Marketing: Official Module Guide
Marketing CIM Certificate in Professional Marketing: Official Module Guide
by The Chartered Institute of Marketing

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential short version of the course, 25 Nov 2014
Theoretical marketing, based on my relatively short acquaintance, consists of memorizing weird acronyms and lists of concepts all starting with the same letter. This book is designed for the new 2014 course and multichoice exam. It's short (126 pages) and thankfully I paid for it as part of the classroom based course I'm doing (it appeared on the second session).

It may look a bit dull (no pretty pictures), and overpriced, but it'll sort out your MOST from your SOSTAC and theoretically give you everything that will be part of the exam. If you are studying online I would heavily advise that you get this book, despite the painful price.

It does contain sample multichoice questions to reassure you (the usual nasty catch out type). I'm rereading it repeatedly at the moment to insert it into my noggin for next week's exam.

I'll know in February 2015 when the exam results come out if this fully worked!

Always Discreet Medium Incontinence Pants - Pack of 96
Always Discreet Medium Incontinence Pants - Pack of 96

4.0 out of 5 stars faiirly good.but hate the scent, 25 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I normally use mini Tena pads, when grabbing some free disposable knickers I went for the medium, while really needing the large for my size 18 bottom. The only issue is a slight tightness around the leg, relieved with a quick scissor snip through the elastic. Otherwise they fairly comfy. I just don't like the scent. I may be getting more sensitive to smells as we've gone fragrance free on laundry liquid to try to reduce my other half's medication induced skin itching. I just find all pervading indefinite scents a bit nauseating and I find some shower gels cause me irritation, so I'm not so happy at the lack of choice..

I wouldn't normally want to increase the amount of waste I generate, and this is a fair bit. In the middle of a laundry crisis a pack may help.Unlike pads they don't come individually wrapped so it would be difficult to carry a spare pair with you for a major sneezing emergency. Really it's just reminded me that I should be taking more effort to lose weight and to start pelvic floor exercises again (ah the muscle sheet you never knew you had).

A Hard Day [DVD]
A Hard Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seon-gyun Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars didn't thrill me, 10 Nov 2014
This review is from: A Hard Day [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When it's good, South Korean cinema is brilliant. Although this has the shrug your shoulders moral ambivalence of the greats, ultimately I got bored quickly. The hero (the cop who thinks he's run over someone on the way home) and his family just don't grab me. Ho hum wait until someone called Park turns up (it's one of the most common name........not to me one of the stunners. Actually this would be IMPROVED by a Hollywood reshooting, but they only mangle the gooduns.

Life, Love and the Archers: Recollections, Reviews and Other Prose
Life, Love and the Archers: Recollections, Reviews and Other Prose
by Wendy Cope

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to dip into, but angst amid the smiles, 31 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wendy cope writes thin books of poems which are deliciously short and insightful. This is a looooooong book of essays about her life and thoughts. The essays are short, but in some ways disturbingly painful. It's a little disturbing to find someone whom you admire as being seemingly so screwed up by her past.

However, you have to admire 'Admittedly we did miss the great drama in 1955 when Grace Archer was burnt to death in an attempt to distract attention from the opening of ITV' and 'When Nigel fell off the roof, I was sure he would survive, perhaps in a wheelchair. Then there would be plenty of dramatic mileage in his struggle to come to terms with his terrible injuries. But no,. He was dead and there was nothing anyone could do about it.......I hope he (Graham Seed, the actor) will become so rich and famous and sought-after that Vanessa Whitburn will rue the day she deprived him of his employment.'

I'm not spoiling it by reading through the lot at once, I'm dipping. This was a flavour

PaperPro Eco Stapler 1716 Desktop model with One Finger Stapling Power, 20 Sheets (Sand)

5.0 out of 5 stars smooth action, 22 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a stapler this is actually surprisingly easy to operate, with a light smooth action. On this review programme I have been testing several staplers (for instance Rapesco) and at the moment this is far better as a unit. Takes 26/6 size and only comes with two strips.

I'm not particularly stunned by the eco claims.... someone in the marketing department doing a PESTELE analysis and being all ethical and environmental is as useless as the portion of butter I opened yesterday which had 'allergy advice, contains milk' on the packet.

So despite this it staples smoothly

Twitter is Not a Strategy
Twitter is Not a Strategy
by Tom Doctoroff

4.0 out of 5 stars good style, but I don't agree, 16 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Plus points. This is a traditional dyed in the wool marketeer who wants to reemphasize the traditional brand development that he feels is being overlooked in a rush to exploit digital marketing.
He is a specialist in the South East Asia market, and if you were wishing to move into that area, there are some useful cultural insights. It's a very easy, readable style.

And now why I don't find it useful for my position in a small UK company.
96% of companies in the UK are micro businesses with under 10 employees (UK Gov statistics 2013). They simply can't afford to use the big marketing firms that have come up with the brand examples mentioned. Hence everyone IS trying to exploit Twitter as a strategy. Now it's not impossible for a micro business to grow....I assume Levi Roots was quite small until he used Dragon's Den to launch his brand. However not every small business has a product like sauce to become a dominant company. Nor do the examples of successful brands seem to have the caveat attached that the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK and other bodies Europe wide don't take unsubstantiated claims happily. Try recalling pro active yoghurt past campaigns against what they have to carefully say now (the bacteria are no longer friendly). So ultimately I don't find this book useful enough for my sector and I'll carry on with digital marketing, thanks.

Case Logic Surefit Classic Universal Folio for 7 inch Tablets - Black
Case Logic Surefit Classic Universal Folio for 7 inch Tablets - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars offers some protection, 14 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not overly convinced that we will use this cover. But it all depends on how you hold and use your tablet as to whether you would..

Effectively this is a hard cover, like a binder. The device slots into two plastic lugs at the tablet bottom. You can hold the whole cover shut with a large elastic strap on the outside. The tablet top is secured by two elastic straps on the corners. The tablet can lie flat or be positioned at three angles for viewing the screen on a desk while within the cover.

It seems tough and secure and reasonably shockproof. The finish on the material is OK -a sort of diagonal check. Not very socially competitive, if you're looking for style, though.

However if you want to protect your device from dust or moisture, or habitually squeeze your tablet into narrow bags, this isn't the solution.

Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 6W A60) - Warm White
Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 6W A60) - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars brill and powerful enough for a desklamp, 11 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ah the joys of LED lighting. I only seem to use Edison screws in odd lamps. This is 230V in case they don't correct the description. I've compared it to the stronger 60W equivalent, which I got originally. This is perfectly strong as a reading lamp.

This is really a dinky little bulb about 9.6cm long. I previously bought an EVER led bulb, which is a stonking 11.5 cm long and wouldn't fit into a lamp with a side opening. The EVER bulb had the annoying habit of emitting a high pitched sound, just like the tinnitus I'd experienced 6 months before due to anaemia. It was very worrying, until I reread an Amazon review complaining about this. It's nice to regain the silence with the Philips.However in another lamp, there was a sound issue, and I pinned this down to unrepairable faulty wiring causing flickering, so bulb stayed, lamp went.

You have to remember with LED bulbs, that the base contains circuitry to convert the current from alternating to direct, otherwise the little diode would pop, plus a thumpingly big aluminium heatsink to cool the poor little component (that would be why they are so heavy). So ultimately the light is concentrated in a downward pool. Unlike tungsten, halogen and compact fluorescent, you don't have that gentle pool of light on the ceiling. So that's all fine in a lamp. But in a pendant, if you're into subtle lighting effects, you're going to have to compensate with uplighters.

So the question then is, the price. Philips was previously very expensive on Amazon. Currently they seem to be cutting the price to beat Auraglow (my usual purchase for LEDs). Strangely Philips claim a total lifespan of about half that of their competitors. This bulb is also completely smooth, whereas their competitors tend to have cooling fins at the base ..... according to web gurus the fins are essential to maintain life. I've got a little bemused at life claims. Probably, by the time you buy a replacement in 10 plus years time, the price will have dropped. The other brands may last 25 years and still be shining strongly (the strength is supposed to decay over time). But who can predict that?

Should you replace? If you use a bulb a lot...definitely, LEDs have a good energy saving. If you are running a bulb in a cold place, definitely...they are not affected by low temperatures like compact fluorescents. But doing a blanket replacement of compact fluorescents in a domestic situation is a bit of a leap of faith. I read around this a lot, and the costs of running the fluorescents until they die seemed to be the same as buying an LED at present. Technically the yukky fluorescents with their mercury vapour have already caused environmental issues when they were made. You might as well see them out. The LEDs are also heavy on aluminium (bauxite ores mined from the tropics are energy intensive to process into the metal) and I think contain small amounts of gallium arsenide. I have with a heavy heart resolved to only replace one to two bulbs a year, so my stock of compact fluorescents gradually dies out.

Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 9.5W A60) - Warm White
Philips LED Light Bulb (E27 Edison Screw 9.5W A60) - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 9 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ah the joys of LED lighting. I only seem to use Edison screws in odd lamps. Mainly I needed a replacement for my....wa wa waaaaah...anglepoise lamp. I am bemused that anybody is having trouble with the weight...my anglepoise has to be over 15 years and it has no trouble at all with this bulb. Or the one it replaced, which was a brute of a lightbringer.

This is really a dinky little bulb about 9.6cm long and is a good strong reading light. I previously bought an EVER led bulb, which is a stonking 11.5 cm long and wouldn't fit into a lamp with a side opening. The EVER bulb had the annoying habit of emitting a high pitched sound, just like the tinnitus I'd experienced 6 months before due to anaemia. It was very worrying, until I reread an Amazon review complaining about this. It's nice to regain the silence with the Philips. However I did experience an issue in another lamp, which seemed to show bad wiring, rather than the fault of the light itself.

The Handbook of Mobile Market Research: Tools and Techniques for Market Researchers
by Ray Poynter

4.0 out of 5 stars parts of it are excellent, but, 8 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Certainly a useful book for Market researchers, which I was interested in assessing as I'm studying for a Marketing qualification.

However as with all Market Research Texts it has the potential of becoming dated very quickly (my main 2013 course text crows about the success of Tesco, oops) as the bold assertions turn to ashes- for instance they state the dominance of Android), and in the past few days the dominant manufacturer Samsung has announced a 60% downturn in the Phone market this quarter. Who knows what will be the next best thing (though as I love my Windows Phone, I've got to hope). Still it's impressive that the authors at least are anti Flash based surveys (a very pretty but annoying program that hampers accessibility).

So far I've spotted one error- there is no social app called Grinder- it's Grindr (and since it's designed for gentlemen seeking the attention of other gentlemen, that's as far as my knowledge goes). They also don't go fully into the current problems with Apple's iBeacon, (a type of tag which delivers content to phones over low energy Bluetooth) as Apple have locked down the technology with a vicious patent to iOS (and Windows phones, because they pay for the privilege) so you can't legally access the technology with an Android phone - sort of important knowledge, especially if you are hammering on about the prevalence of Android.

I do love the idea that someone arranged a qualitative survey of breakfast cereal as a check against a written survey- they asked participants to send a picture of where they kept their breakfast cereals, and found that the written responses had underrepresented the quantities bought and the percentage of own brands. Nifty.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20