Profile for Recycled Rabbit > Reviews

Content by Recycled Rabbit
Top Reviewer Ranking: 432

Recycled Rabbit (Warwickshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Poldark [DVD]
Poldark [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aidan Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars loosen my corsets, I think I'm going to swoon., 3 April 2015
This review is from: Poldark [DVD] (DVD)
So why is Poldark so addictive? This series starts with the early books one and two, "Ross Poldark" and "Demelza").. An impoverished gentleman, whose posh totty has married his cousin while he was away failing to beat up some American colonists, tries to make good, gets seduced by his kitchen wench, the daughter of a miner, and defies convention a lot. It's all set in 18th Century Cornwall, so there's a backdrop of copper mining, fishing, smuggling, drinking, gambling and poaching. You have a passionate hero with a strong sense of moral outrage and a gauche uncertain heroine who wants everyone to be happy. Everyone keeps making mistakes while trying to do the right thing. Blazing rows ensue....eventually they make up and admit that they were partly to blame. For a bodice ripper there's an awful lot going on. The original book was published in 1945 just as another war ended where people had to come back, rebuild their lives, and set about questioning the established social order. And for our times, the baddies are the bankers.

So with big riding boots to fill from the original Robin Ellis/Angharad Rees outing, does this measure up? Well there's more money sloshing about to do big dramatic exterior shots (the Cornish Tourist board must be preparing for a good summer). At the start it seemed to be a bit shaky, mainly because there were too many awkwardly written exposition speeches. "So if you don't manage to catch any pilchards, then you are going to starve in the winter", "of course, now his father is dead and his estate mortgaged.." ...not too far away from "and so my liege, this is how we know the world to be banana shaped". Essentially as well the plot is a bit flat until Demelza appears anyway. Aidan Turner is somewhat amazing as Ross, with lovely acting micro expressions. In fact the best he's been since playing the pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood artist Rossetti in "Desperate Romantics". Oddly that was also the passionate pursuit of a redhead. And um, well, there's an awful lot of stripping, and he goes down the gym a lot. Where's my fan....fetch the smelling salts.
The ladies, who unlike 1970s dramas, have so far been demurely dressed (sorry lads, you're out of luck on this one) are a stunning revelation. Plus extremely well cast. OK there's Demelza the heroine who becomes Mrs P....seemingly a little bit over awkward to begin with, but definitely hellcat come seductress come uncertain soul. But Elizabeth, Ross' jilting ex, is stunningly dramatized. Previously she's just been an annoying wet hen to me...here I actually feel sorry for her... with her jealous spoilt husband and her agonising self doubt. Verity, the cousin who gets left on the shelf is turned into a jittery emotionally suppressed Duracell bunny. .

Plus I like the guest turn from Robin Ellis as the crotchety magistrate, and Phil Davis as the annoying lazy drunken Poldark servant, Jud.

It did take a while to grow on me, as the first episode didn't quite get there. But once I got into it I just had to go back and rewatch it. And definitely, ladies of the UK and select gentlemen, pwooooor!

Computing Fundamentals: Introduction to Computers
Computing Fundamentals: Introduction to Computers
by Faithe Wempen

4.0 out of 5 stars good explanation of the lot, software already dated, 2 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was intrigued to see what this book had to offer. We have many clients who are perplexed with computing. It's a fairly straightforward guide of everything- computer hardware to internet and security tells you all the basics.
It is a hefty book and fairly dry to read. For instance- we don't use a software program to ensure the security of any too old hard drives as described here - we whack them with a thumpingly big sledgehammer.
The software section is outdated in oh about 5 seconds- get a separate book. Windows 8.1 is out the door which this book describes in detail and Windows 10 is here- been trying it today and this one is going to fly!
Similarly, they only described desk based MS Office programs. I couldn't live without Office 365, being able to download, view and edit documents anywhere- not a mention. Or the fact it pretty much does away with small business servers and backup procedures. Just seems weird not to mention it. It has its own little quirks that need exposition. Yes it does go into Word as an introduction- but misses one really useful feature- Outline view. We do get an introduction to Access that puzzles me as I understood that the next version is going to be rolled into SharePoint (ie Office 365) in the next version.

Yes it's a big book. No you aren't going to carry it around. Parts of it are dated already. But yes it will help to make you more computer literate.

Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (White)
Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (White)

4.0 out of 5 stars In the words of Bette Davis, fasten your seatbelts..., 23 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's going to be a bumpy ride.....
Actually this is a fairly good speaker. Better head on, rather than to the side. Copes with world music fairly well. If you can play a hurdy gurdy through it , it's good enough! No idea what pairing is like as I was given one to review only. Early reviews were fairly negative, probably because the set up is a bit pants using a combination of holding down buttons and messing around with iPod settings and the actual Panasonic Music app.
There is a page sheet of instructions. Supposedly it only likes connecting to a lower powered wireless network connection.

WHATEVER HAPPENS YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. Of course when I did it put a duplicate set of the ipod and the speaker on the apps listing. Then it crashed after two days (sulked and wouldn't play a song). So I reset it, reloaded the app, and it seemed to behave.

So, not for the faint hearted or the highly strung. Check you can get the app before you purchase (not for Windows 8.1, no audio input and no Bluetooth).
I think the best course of action is breath in, follow the longwinded set up instructions, which involve multicoloured flashing lights like a digital pregnancy test (aim for blue).. You'll then be asked to update the firmware, which will make a mess of your original settings. Check the dratted thing actually plays a song.
Now breath, pour yourself a stiff drink. Delete the app, turn over the instructions and reset the speaker to factory settings.
Set it all up again with clean instructions. Well anyway, if I don't update this you'll know it worked!

I had a lot of angst trying to work out how to get it to shuffle play within a genre. Finally I sussed out that there were the usual buttons just in funny positions on the screen.. It's a pain that you have to go through an app to control your ipod. I can't get a remote to work with it, so no fast way to stop it if the phone rings.

Verdict, it is a nice speaker, and outperforms my previous connects with the ipod as a music server. If you can get it to behave in the first instance it's easy to use. Bit pricey if you have a low pain threshold. That post purchase evaluation regret may kick in unnecessarily. I have enough angst heaping abuse on my two Sony devices when they get bolshie to want another uppity piece of silicon not to just meekly work for me.

Philips HP6392/00 Precision Body Hair Trimmer
Philips HP6392/00 Precision Body Hair Trimmer
Offered by BestBuyUk

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb safe and so useful, 22 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike precision epilators this has a bar of cutters and a very gentle motion. It doesn't hurt and it doesn't jump around, so it feels very safe to use around the eyebrows and it's easier to create a line. I give up using tweezers after ten minutes because of the pain factor. Fair hair makes my bushy eyebrows less noticeable, but this produced a good job within a few minutes. Just twist the end cap to insert the aaa battery which comes with it. Switch on and go

Scholl Active Sports Insoles Gel for Men
Scholl Active Sports Insoles Gel for Men

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard pounding insole, 18 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For running shoes I guess- I've tried the soft insoles for daily wear and they are nice and cushioned. This is fairly hard in comparison. The men jbit just means it's size 8 upwards- the women's is size 8 downwards. They are both for wide fitting shoes.

Belkin True Clear InvisiGlass Overlay Real Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 6 Plus
Offered by BESTBUYIT

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly a fault on this item made it useless, 18 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Be sure to check that there are no manufacturing faults on the item before you apply it. The sample we received had a mark in the centre so we ended up giving up on it as it interfered with the clarity of the display. I would have been very unhappy if this was not a free sample!

Belkin Slim Fit Grip Cover Case for iPhone 6 - Black
Belkin Slim Fit Grip Cover Case for iPhone 6 - Black
Offered by BESTBUYIT

4.0 out of 5 stars Substance over style, 15 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is just a cover for the back and edges of your phone- so you may wish to also invest in a screen protector. I found that I had to attach it feet first so that it fitted over the various buttons easily. The feel isn't that brilliant. All I wanted it for was to protect a phone for prototyping- not for social use. For this purpose it works excellently. For my own phone in daily use I prefer a book type cover to protect the screen and something that has a little more style and a nicer material. Otherwise looks rugged enough

Braun SE810 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush
Braun SE810 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush

4.0 out of 5 stars Better for the brush accessory than the epilator, 14 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm less keen on this as an epilator- it's a bit painful and it jumped when I was trying to tentatively remove a few eyebrow hairs. However the brush part is brilliant for polishing the face- just add some sort of face wash gel. comes with an AA Duracell battery- so works straight out of the box. You can replace this by twisting the coin grooved end cap at the base.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor with FlexBall Technology Plus 3 Blades
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor with FlexBall Technology Plus 3 Blades

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant evolution of a trusted formula, 14 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's the same blades as they have been selling for a while matched with a newly designed handle with a bit of sprung steel and a circular joint- I just got offered this because I buy the blades for himself on subscribe and save. He loves it compared to the old design because it reacts to face contours better. there are other versions with more spare blades in the packs- over time they may be at a better rate than just spare blades. Only gripe is that the sprung steel bit means that the razor no longer fits in the plastic cradle that used to sit on a spare blade pack- might take a little surgery with a pair of pliers

Samsung UE40H5000AKXXU 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Slim LED TV with Freeview HD
Offered by Tvsandmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful toy!, 13 Mar. 2015
Superb TV (it's lovely to have such a thin bezel around the edge at last which doesn't distract the eye from the screen. Personally I don't need all the bells and whistles- just a sharp clear picture and the sound through my separate amp so I can connect as many devices as I like (only two HDMI outs!). It's amazong how light it is- vey happy

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20