Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 379

Amazon Customer (Warwickshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Offered by Shoplet-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy very pink, 16 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well let's say that in the flesh it's VERY PINK. It folds down completely flat. The sides pop into the ends with one stud (as seen in the picture). You then fold over a small flap at each end, pop two more studs closed and that's it. It's very sturdy.The size is 26x34cm internally- really far bigger than A4.

Twitter is Not a Strategy
Twitter is Not a Strategy
by Tom Doctoroff

4.0 out of 5 stars good style, but I don't agree, 16 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Plus points. This is a traditional dyed in the wool marketeer who wants to reemphasize the traditional brand development that he feels is being overlooked in a rush to exploit digital marketing.
He is a specialist in the South East Asia market, and if you were wishing to move into that area, there are some useful cultural insights. It's a very easy, readable style.

And now why I don't find it useful for my position in a small UK company.
96% of companies in the UK are micro businesses with under 10 employees (UK Gov statistics 2013). They simply can't afford to use the big marketing firms that have come up with the brand examples mentioned. Hence everyone IS trying to exploit Twitter as a strategy. Now it's not impossible for a micro business to grow....I assume Levi Roots was quite small until he used Dragon's Den to launch his brand. However not every small business has a product like sauce to become a dominant company. Nor do the examples of successful brands seem to have the caveat attached that the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK and other bodies Europe wide don't take unsubstantiated claims happily. Try recalling pro active yoghurt past campaigns against what they have to carefully say now (the bacteria are no longer friendly). So ultimately I don't find this book useful enough for my sector and I'll carry on with digital marketing, thanks.

Case Logic Surefit Classic Universal Folio for 7 inch Tablets - Black
Case Logic Surefit Classic Universal Folio for 7 inch Tablets - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars offers some protection, 14 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not overly convinced that we will use this cover. But it all depends on how you hold and use your tablet as to whether you would..

Effectively this is a hard cover, like a binder. The device slots into two plastic lugs at the tablet bottom. You can hold the whole cover shut with a large elastic strap on the outside. The tablet top is secured by two elastic straps on the corners. The tablet can lie flat or be positioned at three angles for viewing the screen on a desk while within the cover.

It seems tough and secure and reasonably shockproof. The finish on the material is OK -a sort of diagonal check. Not very socially competitive, if you're looking for style, though.

However if you want to protect your device from dust or moisture, or habitually squeeze your tablet into narrow bags, this isn't the solution.

Philips E27 6 Watt LED 30 V Edison Screw A60 FR ND/4 , Warm White
Philips E27 6 Watt LED 30 V Edison Screw A60 FR ND/4 , Warm White
Offered by EcoSaveLEDLights

5.0 out of 5 stars brill and powerful enough for a desklamp, 11 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ah the joys of LED lighting. I only seem to use Edison screws in odd lamps. This is 230V in case they don't correct the description. I've compared it to the stronger 60W equivalent, which I got originally. This is perfectly strong as a reading lamp.

This is really a dinky little bulb about 9.6cm long. I previously bought an EVER led bulb, which is a stonking 11.5 cm long and wouldn't fit into a lamp with a side opening. The EVER bulb had the annoying habit of emitting a high pitched sound, just like the tinnitus I'd experienced 6 months before due to anaemia. It was very worrying, until I reread an Amazon review complaining about this. It's nice to regain the silence with the Philips.However in another lamp, there was a sound issue, and I pinned this down to unrepairable faulty wiring causing flickering, so bulb stayed, lamp went.

You have to remember with LED bulbs, that the base contains circuitry to convert the current from alternating to direct, otherwise the little diode would pop, plus a thumpingly big aluminium heatsink to cool the poor little component (that would be why they are so heavy). So ultimately the light is concentrated in a downward pool. Unlike tungsten, halogen and compact fluorescent, you don't have that gentle pool of light on the ceiling. So that's all fine in a lamp. But in a pendant, if you're into subtle lighting effects, you're going to have to compensate with uplighters.

So the question then is, the price. Philips was previously very expensive on Amazon. Currently they seem to be cutting the price to beat Auraglow (my usual purchase for LEDs). Strangely Philips claim a total lifespan of about half that of their competitors. This bulb is also completely smooth, whereas their competitors tend to have cooling fins at the base ..... according to web gurus the fins are essential to maintain life. I've got a little bemused at life claims. Probably, by the time you buy a replacement in 10 plus years time, the price will have dropped. The other brands may last 25 years and still be shining strongly (the strength is supposed to decay over time). But who can predict that?

Should you replace? If you use a bulb a lot...definitely, LEDs have a good energy saving. If you are running a bulb in a cold place, definitely...they are not affected by low temperatures like compact fluorescents. But doing a blanket replacement of compact fluorescents in a domestic situation is a bit of a leap of faith. I read around this a lot, and the costs of running the fluorescents until they die seemed to be the same as buying an LED at present. Technically the yukky fluorescents with their mercury vapour have already caused environmental issues when they were made. You might as well see them out. The LEDs are also heavy on aluminium (bauxite ores mined from the tropics are energy intensive to process into the metal) and I think contain small amounts of gallium arsenide. I have with a heavy heart resolved to only replace one to two bulbs a year, so my stock of compact fluorescents gradually dies out.

Philips LED A60 9.5 W E27 Edison Screw Warm White Light Bulb (60 W Equivalent, 15,000 Hours)

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 9 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ah the joys of LED lighting. I only seem to use Edison screws in odd lamps. Mainly I needed a replacement for my....wa wa waaaaah...anglepoise lamp. I am bemused that anybody is having trouble with the weight...my anglepoise has to be over 15 years and it has no trouble at all with this bulb. Or the one it replaced, which was a brute of a lightbringer.

This is really a dinky little bulb about 9.6cm long and is a good strong reading light. I previously bought an EVER led bulb, which is a stonking 11.5 cm long and wouldn't fit into a lamp with a side opening. The EVER bulb had the annoying habit of emitting a high pitched sound, just like the tinnitus I'd experienced 6 months before due to anaemia. It was very worrying, until I reread an Amazon review complaining about this. It's nice to regain the silence with the Philips. However I did experience an issue in another lamp, which seemed to show bad wiring, rather than the fault of the light itself.

The Handbook of Mobile Market Research: Tools and Techniques for Market Researchers
by Ray Poynter

4.0 out of 5 stars parts of it are excellent, but, 8 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Certainly a useful book for Market researchers, which I was interested in assessing as I'm studying for a Marketing qualification.

However as with all Market Research Texts it has the potential of becoming dated very quickly (my main 2013 course text crows about the success of Tesco, oops) as the bold assertions turn to ashes- for instance they state the dominance of Android), and in the past few days the dominant manufacturer Samsung has announced a 60% downturn in the Phone market this quarter. Who knows what will be the next best thing (though as I love my Windows Phone, I've got to hope). Still it's impressive that the authors at least are anti Flash based surveys (a very pretty but annoying program that hampers accessibility).

So far I've spotted one error- there is no social app called Grinder- it's Grindr (and since it's designed for gentlemen seeking the attention of other gentlemen, that's as far as my knowledge goes). They also don't go fully into the current problems with Apple's iBeacon, (a type of tag which delivers content to phones over low energy Bluetooth) as Apple have locked down the technology with a vicious patent to iOS (and Windows phones, because they pay for the privilege) so you can't legally access the technology with an Android phone - sort of important knowledge, especially if you are hammering on about the prevalence of Android.

I do love the idea that someone arranged a qualitative survey of breakfast cereal as a check against a written survey- they asked participants to send a picture of where they kept their breakfast cereals, and found that the written responses had underrepresented the quantities bought and the percentage of own brands. Nifty.

Philips A5PRO/00 DJ Headphones (3500mW RMS, Sensitivity: 105dB, Cable up to 4.7m, Gold-Plated) Including Replaceable Ear Cushions and Innovative Folding Mechanism Black

4.0 out of 5 stars I find it a bit difficult to find a comfortable position with my glasses- other half has less problem ..., 6 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Reviewing just as a punter only wanting the noise cancelling function, who wouldn't be bothered if these were Heston Blumenthal headphones.....They sort of work in an office environment.

All I am trying to do is concentrate on editing video footage from training sessions or listening to how to use software YouTube footage. When other people in the office carry on conversations, clatter keyboards or arggh, whistle, I normally have to completely stop as it is impossible to concentrate.

These headphones do work a little while they are transmitting sound. the clatter comes back if the sound stops. Proper noise cancelling headphones have a powered source from a battery..these don't. I find it a bit difficult to find a comfortable position with my glasses- other half has less problem with his..

The box was very irritating to break into, which I destroyed trying to get in.. They come with a curled lead (make sure you jam the right angled end firmly into the headphone end as I fluffed this initially), gold plated larger jack adaptor, and a tough fabric bag.

So I can't say if they work for a DJ- I'm a little less impressive in my applications. They do cut the sound a bit when in use, but don't fully isolate you.

Emergen-C Super Orange Energy Release and Immunity Support Food Supplement - Pack of 16

4.0 out of 5 stars A good boost if you are under the weather, 6 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This actually tastes like a watery fresh orange juice, although there is a delay and a slight extra aroma that isn't quite right ( I think that is why another reviewer mentioned a "sick" taste.)

Both of us have been trying out the lemon version which we both prefer. We've both had bouts of long illness in the past year and the stuff is perking both of us up. We generally only take targeted supplements, not all in ones, and rely on er- fresh fruit and veg to keep us healthy. However when you go under you do need an extra boost and this seems to provide it.

I'm not keen on the gelatine as an ingredient, but this review product is free and doing me good, so I'm putting up for the moment.

Ecover Zero Non Bio Laundry Liquid 5 L
Ecover Zero Non Bio Laundry Liquid 5 L
Offered by Toy and Gift Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't spot in price comparison that this is not concentrated, 5 Oct 2014
I'm forced to try this because my other half has got very itchy skin now he's on a cocktail of heart medicines. Checking online suggested that switching from a powder to a liquid would help. Although I've gone from a new nauseatingly scented Persil to the widely available lightly scented Ecover liquid, it still hasn't fully solved the issue.

Yes this is a naff review because I've yet to try it.

However I am cheesed off because I bought from here based on relative pricing against the normal Ecover liquid non bio (which is available from supermarkets). However the scented stuff is described as 2x concentrate. The only easy comparison between Zero and the original is on hand washing guidelines....15ml for the original and 50ml for the Zero. Other recommendations are based on load size for the original and dirtiness for the Zero tallied against water hardness.

Ultimately this is going to cost a fortune and takes up more space. I just hope it works. Possibly some of the criticism of how well it works may result from incorrect dosing.

Update. Seems to work perfectly well at the correct dose.

RUNNER BEAN STANGENBOHNE SPAGNA BIANCA
RUNNER BEAN STANGENBOHNE SPAGNA BIANCA
Offered by Franchi Seeds of Italy 1783

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly delicious, butterbean substitute, 5 Oct 2014
This is a superb climbing butterbean substitute. This is my first year of growing it and it's going to be a mainstay from now on along with purple climbing french beans from franchi.

You can grow it for the short pods, which taste like runner beans. However its real taste comes from the fat beans themselves, which you can pick fat and green and cook quickly or leave to dry up in their pods, in which case they can do with about an hours cooking. There won't be any left to store. They taste too good.

As far as I could work out, true butterbeans aren't hardy enough to grow in the UK. This appears to be the giant butterbean used in Greek recipes (gigantes plaki as sold in jars- add a good load of olive oil,garlic, chopped tomatoes, onion, carrot, parsley, covering water and let bubble for an hour or so).

Despite the picture, I generally got two beans to the pod, but wow, what a size.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20