Profile for Julie Cutler > Reviews

Content by Julie Cutler
Top Reviewer Ranking: 335

Julie Cutler
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian
Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ... am a post 5 decades reader and I enthusiastically liked this book, 27 July 2014
Well I am a post 5 decades reader and I enthusiastically liked this book. I have found no variation in the writing style over the series unlike the other miserable 3 star reviewers. Colfer just sometimes comes up with something unexpected , and if it is beyond the readers' limited experience, then it is going to confuse and frustrate. My only gripe is that I am totally in love with the demon warlock no 1, who only briefly makes an appearance again. This is only because he reminds me of my black bear baby hamster, the runt my new lady hamster's unexpected litter. Feisty little so and so. Happily the antibiotics worked and I didn't get septicaemia from my bitten finger. Small, powerful, and now sweet and cuddly, perfect match to the little soul two books ago. Bring on the rose petals.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: it's mitochondria, not hypochondria!
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Some reliance on inaccurate facts, 27 July 2014
Iit's a short interesting book. When you are at your wits end worrying about your health I'm sure it is a great place to start.
There are interesting descriptions about how the body works which I have to assume the author is far more equipped to state tgan I.
Two things concerned me. Firstly a statement of a multimineral and multivitamin mix she recommends which includes Calcium and Iron. Calcium inhibits Iron absorption, there are lots of dieticians studies on the web. You have to stagger iron intake in order to get enough of it through and absorbed (6 months of anaemia treatment which didn't wrork until I figured out what the GP didnt know,
Secondly the conclusions on what and why you should eat a Palaelithic diet are spurious. We have the Neanderthals,, who on the current DNA research seem to have made it out of Africa first, spread over Europe then croaked. Our lot, Homo sapiens (the proto Banksy cave wall doodling lot) made it out of Africa and some, but not all of our ancestors had a few love trysts with Neanderthals. In return the Neanderthals passed on a type 2 diabetes gene, great. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that Neanderthals just ate meat, as the author regurgitates. Happy cave wrecking early archaeologists just didn't know how to dig carefully enough. They just found some Neanderthal poop near Alicante...they ate veg too.Then it's a statement that 'primitive' stone age tribes don't eat carbohydrates (patronising for a start). The majority diet of the heavily overstudied !Kung San from the Kalahari, was based on tubers and mongogo nuts unglamorously gathered by the gals of the group. This is so not an argument on why you shouldn't eat any fruit (sweet fruit that is). No Neanderthal ate a pepper or a tomato because they weren't living in the Americas. So I ask, why are these two technically fruits consided valid by the author in a palao diet but pears bursting with ant oxidants aren't. If something I know about is so easily ripped apart, then I am less able to trust the information that I was unaware of. Treat with caution (but not with a pinch of salt, ha. If it makes you better, then , good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2014 7:09 PM BST

Beginning DotNetNuke Skinning and Design (Programmer to Programmer)
Beginning DotNetNuke Skinning and Design (Programmer to Programmer)
by Andrew Hay
Price: 26.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly an overly dated book, 12 July 2014
Dotnetnuke or DNN in version 7 is absolutely brilliant and absolutely frustrating. This book helps a bit and then it doesn't. I'm a wet behind the ears noob (with a far too busy to help guru) who has been trying to find a free .net content managed system for clients for 2 or more months. I tried Umbraco, but it was incomprehensible why you had to go into so much effort just to set up your editing environment, I tried Orchard, but most of the clever bits had to be rewritten because the freebies add ons were lame. I can't say that Goldilocks quite likes the taste of this bowl of porridge, but it seems the most filling!

This book is written in dotnetnuke 4, which was written in Visual Basic with a layout based on arggh scream scream, tables.
The current version is DNN 7.3 which is written in C# and is mercifully laid out with CSS3 and html5, with distinct pane sections you can drop modules into all div-ed up. The CSS was completely rewritten for version 7, but is still way over complicated. See the problem?

Information on writing skins is hard to come by as those in the know are making a lot of dosh writing skins.....we seem to be under a code of omerta on the web. Technically DNN 7 does come with a brilliant skin called Gravity (a bit dull and grey) which sits on top of a beastie called the Twitter Bootstrap. Bootstrap is utterly brilliant because you can shrink the window with a lovely flow and colapse the menu to an alternative, making it great as a low cost design deployment for both desktops and mobile phones if you're developing small business websites.

As a resource the relatively pricey annual subscription to DNN Creative proved to be my only way into the mire, so long as you start with the version 7 videos. However the more useful bits on skinning have only been written for previous versions at the moment. YouTube can be slightly helpful, but not on skinning it yourself to date, just on dollar hungry skin kit deployment.
I managed to customise most of the Gravity skin by renaming a copy and bashing away at the skin.css file. However this only gets you so far, because if you want to do anything clever with the header section you have to butcher the aspx page for whichever page style you have set your individual pages to use as a master. The guru ended up ripping out the search function, but we did have a wobbly moment with the Bootstrap flow (rather a Blue Peter get an adult to help you area). Oh and you should be uploading your site images into the portals/0/images folder(oh mama, there are a lot of image folders in this thing).

There were times when this book did give me a little insight into how to apply skins, but I was rather grateful to have bought a magic penny plus postage copy. Buy it with trepidation, pray to the digital gods to get off their bottoms and write clear updated beginners guides. Hope this helps and if you find anything useful please comment kindly! Toodles.

The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
by Tom Hunt
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the sum of it's parts in the great scheme of cookbooks but has merits, 12 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a bit perplexed that like another reviewer I too ordered this book under the impression it would solve food gluts from the allotment. While the recipes look interesting and are based on a selection of things to do with a particular vegetable or fruit ingredient, it is far from comprehensive. For instance, lots of recipes for apples and apricots, but none for pears. Compared to other ingredient focussed books as by the lovely Ms Grigson (tthe younger one) this work does leave you reaching for something else off the kindle cloud for the gaps in the recipes.
However, pluses are: enough vegetarian recipes to pick out, nice pictures, generally Mediterranean cuisine for the non meaty recipes, alternative ingredients in recipes (pearl barley or rice for instance), a few quirky ideas such as barbecueing broad beans and also stir frying, picling radishes and turnips, Portuguese tarts with rhubarb (impressive idea), making short lived fruit jams and using up leftovers (although usually by adding more expensive ingredients).
As I'm gearing up for a glut of certain items from a late planted garden I have yet to try out this book (sorry folks, but my reviews have to be within a certain time frame for freebies). For myself I'd say this would be the book I reach for second to fill up the end of a week's menu AFTER I've found the star items from other books (still finding yummies from 'Hugh's 3 good things') and store cupboard use ups. I can't speak from a meatie perspective, apart from noting that the suggested leftover recipes require you to add steak or venison, which to me seems a little odd.

TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White
TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White
Price: 12.71

5.0 out of 5 stars impressive at first light, 8 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well it's certainly bright, and as with the other leds I've tried it appears to out perform it's supposed 60w equivalent rating. It's fairly heavy too, so I'm hoping that's due to an effective aluminium heatsink which will keep it performing.
Only time will tell if it lasts as long as it claims. I did a bit of calculation a while back. Leds seem to be worth the price in saving running costs if you are replacing tungsten or halogen bulbs. But you are only saving a little in place of a compact fluorescent, and since these are full of unpleasant gases, you might as well let these tubes last out their full life. Irritating though that may be.

Rosewood Small Animal Christmas Tree Climb 'N' Shred
Rosewood Small Animal Christmas Tree Climb 'N' Shred
Offered by CPO Trading
Price: 5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamster approved, 3 Jun 2014
Just got the one to try. Isabella the Syrian had a quick chew and clambered to the top, just like in the illustration. It does fit in a Rotastak "toblerone" cage with plenty of over the top hamster room, if you take out the shelf.

Orchard CMS: Up and Running
Orchard CMS: Up and Running
Price: 9.26

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good - Kindle version, 28 May 2014
Considering that this book is two years old at the time of writing, unlike other how to books, it does work reasonably well with the current version. Your mission is to develop a website for a band called Daisy's Gone (why I don't know).

Orchard CMS seems to be a fairly easy to understand FREE content managed website building package. What is not included in the basic site are certain modules which are available for download from an online gallery. This is very much like the online SharePoint system for basic users with its add ons.

25% through on day one and only a few squeaks from me is pretty good going. Content is now split over two menus instead of one and 3 submenus. I'm having a little difficulty with the image manipulation module that was recommended (check the module gallery reviews - it won't display in the menu for the latest version). contact forms isn't behaving I'm not sure that I have not been mislead and there was an image manipulation package available in the current version. I've sort of over loaded my installation now (editable in WebMatrix)!

Having struggled for a few weeks with Umbraco, this is a relatively delightful easy to use .net based flavouring. I'm not fully sure why it isn't more fully known (although I've still got to get to grips with some of the prettier layout options or adding c# code -you can mess around with C# in the umbrella platform Microsoft WebMatrix, by the way,- thankfully as I haven't got Visual Studio installed yet). Fun fun fun, for a first go.

Update. Ultimately we've decided not to go with Orchard as a platform as it is MVC based, which due to it's hefty programming, probably causes the slow page loading reported by other users. Currently trying out the free version of DNN 7, formerly known as dotnetnuke. Orchard still has pluses, and reasonable learning material, but it looks like you need to start stripping down the engine for any functionality and reliability.

Rotastak Home and Away Hamster Travel Case
Rotastak Home and Away Hamster Travel Case
Price: 13.90

4.0 out of 5 stars still a good design carrier. careful of top clips., 24 May 2014
A very necessary item in case you need a visit to the vets. My only concern is that it is easy not to properly engage the sprung plastic clips at the top which secures the handle. I tend to carry the carrier in a carrier bag! Fortunately when I did drop this it was empty of hamster. I find the round clips very securely hold the bungs. Used to rehome two of Isabella's unexpected brood.

Superpet Critter Puzzle Seesaw 38 piece
Superpet Critter Puzzle Seesaw 38 piece
Offered by Petremedies
Price: 6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Approved by two Syrians, 24 May 2014
Although the learning curve on these sets is a bit challenging for the owners, both my Syrians adored it. However this could be due to the sunflower seeds which I hide in the centre before playtime. This is my second critter puzzle, so it went together a little more smoothly. You have frames and plastic square centres which you pop in later. The triangular bits take a bit more time, but finally hold together firmly. There are two plastic squares with pivots for the seesaw action. All very sturdy eventually. It washes easily between sessions to reduce territorial hamster scents. Definitely the better puzzle of the I think 3 offerings..

Pull Key Reel Keyring 1m Extendable Retractable Metal Chrome ID Holder - Heavy Duty Version
Offered by K Direct
Price: 2.87

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't retract, 23 May 2014
The reel wouldn't retract when I received it. Useless. I've used this sort of item for years- they always go, but not so quickly. ~Really really annoyed considering the other reviews praising it. Trying to get my money back

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20