Profile for Julie Cutler > Reviews

Content by Julie Cutler
Top Reviewer Ranking: 373

Julie Cutler
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
EMERGEN-C Lemon - Pack of 16
EMERGEN-C Lemon - Pack of 16

4.0 out of 5 stars pleasant enough, initial impression. Not vegetarian, 29 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A fairly pleasant fizzy taste, rather like a posh lemonade, although with some undissolved powder.

I don't have any clue why it has to have ground up cows feet in it at all (which I didn't notice until I had drunk it).

Whether it works in the long term is another matter. Trying them out on both of us as we've just recovered from an icky cold. Time will tell

Gardening Myths and Misconceptions (Wise Words)
Gardening Myths and Misconceptions (Wise Words)
by Charles Dowding

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessary bit of mythbusting, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A smsll book of snippets from Charles Dowding, champion of no digging and organic gardening. Derived from his personal experience as a market gardener, after reading this book you can pretty much carve chunks out of your memory about how to grow vegetables. I groaned as I found out I might as well have pulled up all the cropped broad beans as they don't really have many active nodules fixing nitrogen at the end of life. I had carefully secateured off the tops, it took ages. My climbing beans were all happy without trenches of compost anyway, just like he says. I really didn't have enough compost. You can water any time in the day, not strip your tomatoes of leaves or your sweetcorn of sideshoots. And you really don't HAVE to force your rhubarb.All very liberating. I feel that it is going to take me a while to completely clear my head of the chanting rituals of TV gardeners. I'd already gone over to the dark side and decided to reduce my repeat digging since the author had convinced me in some of his other more comprehensive works.

Verdict. It's a short book and you won't be using it very often. However reading it occasionally could save you time and make your veg garden more productive. It's a case of try the advice for yourself and see if he convinces you too!

Rapesco Stapler - Full Strip, Power-assisted X5-50f
Rapesco Stapler - Full Strip, Power-assisted X5-50f

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice front loader, 24 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a fairly robust looking stapler. It's nice that someone has come up with an easier front loading mechanism for staples (just press the purple button on the back end and the staple tray shoots out. It seems to staple reasonable well on 10 tries. Previously my other half had a stapler by the same brand that kept on misfiring every two to three goes. I can't quite see why it is marked as power- assisted- seems fairly run of the mill to me. However seems to do the job. 26/6mm staples

Acme BK01 Ultrathin Bluetooth Keyboard
Acme BK01 Ultrathin Bluetooth Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Small keyboard, 24 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A fairly nicely produced keyboard in Mac styling. It doesn't quite have the Apple build quality though. It's also very small and although it suits my small hands, my other half complained. Charge up, flick the on switch, press the pairing button and enter a code on your device (Surface pairing anyway). Seems to work reasonably well, although I'm not sure there is the space for touch typing.

QuickBooks Online Plus, 12-Month Subscription (Mac/PC)
QuickBooks Online Plus, 12-Month Subscription (Mac/PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty nice interface, 23 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're running a business, getting to grips with the accounts from the start is an essential part of keeping in control. From online reviews, two of the major accounts packages are Sage and QuickBooks. The one you pick will depend upon what your accountant favours. We've always used Sage. However I found the Quickbooks interface refreshingly clear and straightforward in the online version.

You begin by entering your company details to create a simple invoice (it's always encouraging to be hopeful that you are going to get paid for your services!). And you just go from there. Online reviews say that the online manuals are preferable to tech support. It's just a case of trial and error to start with. Best to find an accountant or bookkeeper that will show you the basics... which in the long run will save you money and make you fully aware of keeping a grip on your economic performance

Lecture Notes: Tropical Medicine
Lecture Notes: Tropical Medicine
by Nick Beeching

5.0 out of 5 stars slim succinct, 22 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
No I'm not a medic, but this is a fascinating volume summarizing all the things you can pick up on your exotic holiday, and how someone should be treating you.
Excellent for anyone researching health treatment in the poorer parts of the world. It provides insights into how people get treatment when some drugs are too expensive or there aren't any labs to confirm a doctor's guess at a diagnosis.

I was interested to read up on Chagas disease, since it has been often touted as to why Charles Darwin got very ill in later life. Apart from picking it up from insects, I can't quite correlate the symptoms I thought he had.

A good description of diarrhoea kicks off the start of the book. Always well worth knowing in detail.

Dynamic Fat Burner 1200 mg Raspberry Ketones Capsules - Pack of 60 Capsules
Dynamic Fat Burner 1200 mg Raspberry Ketones Capsules - Pack of 60 Capsules

3.0 out of 5 stars nope, 21 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
No discernible change in body mass

Wired for Culture: The Natural History of Human Cooperation
Wired for Culture: The Natural History of Human Cooperation
by Mark Pagel

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 19 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got to page 87. Oh yes I love reading books on evolutionary biology and social evolution. Oh no, I just didn't get this style. He quotes familiar authors, Diamond, Stringer, etc. I like their style better. I may not find everything they say credible, but I like their passion. Sorry mate, you appear to be a bona fide academic, but you don't zap my consciousness

A-Level  Maths for Edexcel - Statistics 1: Student Book
A-Level Maths for Edexcel - Statistics 1: Student Book
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars well laid out, 19 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was just looking at this book as a refresher for my stats knowledge (I was taught by geographers to handle population and biological data). It is presented in a pleasant friendly style. However as it's the bits I understood well enough....standard variation, correlation and regression, it's less helpful to me than to someone tackling this for the first time.

Gear Up: Test Your Business Model Potential and Plan Your Path to Success
Gear Up: Test Your Business Model Potential and Plan Your Path to Success
by Lena Ramfelt

5.0 out of 5 stars dip in and get your business going, 19 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For what it's worth, this is a reasonably good self help book for businesses. It starts with getting you to think of your customer's pain points (no harm in selling fear), then moves onto how you can delight your customers. When you are running your own business it is easy to get bogged down in the day to day grind, and you really need to reenergise to keep competing. Although I'm rather bored by the somewhat daft graphics, I am not normally impressed by the self help books offered for review, this does have something to offer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20