Profile for Julie Cutler > Reviews

Content by Julie Cutler
Top Reviewer Ranking: 355

Julie Cutler
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tacwise A54 Hammer Tacker Bundle with 140/10mm Stainless Steel Staples
Tacwise A54 Hammer Tacker Bundle with 140/10mm Stainless Steel Staples
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A sturdy item, which you use with a hammer action to whack in self loading heavy duty staples. It takes a while to get used to, with a few misfires to start with, and you would have to carry around the box of staples to reload because of all the waste. It saves your fingers from getting whacked and is more efficient than hand tacks and a hammer. Painfully pricey though for just occasional jobs. I prefer another product from this company - a slightly more delicate looking stapler gun, as that fired the same staples every time.

Tacwise Heavy Duty 140 TypeStaples 10mm (2000)
Tacwise Heavy Duty 140 TypeStaples 10mm (2000)
Price: 3.38

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good quality heavy duty staples for use in a stapling gun or a more heavy duty hammer like thing, by the same company. Hours of enjoyment!. Make sure you have something to remove misfires though.

AEG AG3013 Ergorapido Li-ion Tungsten Metallic 2-in-1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 18 V
Price: 199.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, some annoyances for me, 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
it is a brilliant idea- a hand vacuum cleaner which inserts into a handle (with a second switch near the top). No more needless bending over unless you have to. It's light and manoeuvrable with a bright array of led lights in the head. I find it a little skittish around the bottom joint when I am moving it- something to get used to. There's also a low power switch for those awkward fabric moments and what looks to be finally a crevice tool which will actually fit into a crevice such as the sides of car seats. and a Li-ion battery!

What I didn't like about it was the need for a separate charging station. Oh designers, what the world doesn't need is another annoying piece of ugly plastic. I prefer a straight plug in to charge. I also had issues with fitting the top handle (space means of course that it comes in two parts. You have to remove a hefty screw in bolt then carefully thread the power cord up the handle and slide the handle back on and refit the bolt. In theory! In practice I had to slam the bottom of the handle against the floor to get it to fit on fully. And for the life of me I couldn't get the bolt to catch on the screw thread. I doubt it will actually come apart, but the bolt will be long gone if it ever does.

Ultranatura Burger Press Patty
Ultranatura Burger Press Patty
Price: 12.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of an experimental disaster, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Be patient with me, gentle reader. Yes I know conventionally this is intended to form circles of minced up moocow. It was free, I took a chance. It didn't work for mashed up freshly cooked haricot beans with fine onion, tomato puree, ground almonds particularly well. I have no idea if shredded moo works better.

However, Firstly a four inch plus diameter is HUGE. It's made from aluminium but has that expensive anodised look, like posh cookery series cake tins. If so, you have to wash it up by hand as the dishwasher will rip off the shiny non stick coating. It has ridges inside the base and pressing lid to mark your burgers, so you can't really line it. It comes with a piece of paper that says it has a two year guarantee.......nothing else.....no how to use it. I managed to flip out the two burgers separately into a frying pan, but one twisted badly and had to be reshaped. (Again, I don't know if a stunt minced moocow would be more acrobatic). For me the whole design is mystifying....and I don't like my food that big either. Obviously the other reviewers see something I don't.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2014 10:33 PM BST

Cairo Kitchen Cookbook: Recipes from the Middle East Inspired by the Street Foods of Cairo
by Suzanne Zeidy
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on Mediteranean food Egyptian style, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very big hardback, packed with probably far too many photographs. Although I've read and cooked an awful lot of Mediterranean dishes, including many included in this book, the recipes have a certain raw authenticity that encourage you to have a go at these versions. As a vegetarian there's plenty for me to try thankfully. It's a full look at Egyptian food- there's breads, soups, mezze, desserts and pickles- lot's to try and to immerse yourself in.
For the most part the ingredients are reasonably easy to come by. I've been eating ful mesdames beans from Hodmedod's - available on Amazon (a smaller dried brown broad bean, know as fava, broad or field beans) and have got addicted. I've never grown the salad leaf purslane which features widely in the recipes- something for next year, but lambs lettuce or rocket might do as a supermarket switch. The freekeh which is casually mentioned as an ingredient is a preparation of wheat and can be bought easily as an add on item from, Amazon. The lovely slit tomatoes on the cover is a Tomato Walnut Salad- partially slit tomatoes stuffed with an Egyptian vinaigrette mixed with chopped walnuts. Sprouted beans soup (those fava beans again) sounds intriguing, Finally also a recipe for carrot jam (apparently great with bread and clotted cream). I've never tried mastic as a spice- but here it flavours a milk pudding which is then garnished with pistachios, pomegranate and cinnamon (Mehalabeya). But there's plenty of the more well known stuff, and even some recipes for the meaties.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2014 3:11 PM BST

Ryobi LLCDI18022 18V One Plus 2-Speed Hammer Drill/ Driver with 2 x 1.3Ah Batteries and 45 Minute Fast Charger
Price: 134.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Only missing the cuddly toy and the set of drill bits., 20 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Thumbs up from me. I am a long term fan of the Ryobi One plus system. Nice compact drill that is SOOOO obvious how it works. 3 settings for drill, hammer drill and screw-driving. Two speeds, keyless chuck, fantastically obvious huge torque dial on the business end. Two Li-ion batteries (which are incredibly light, and also much improved in the way they release from the drill body) come with a charger. There's a reasonably sturdy bag which will fit some other tool too (though nothing too big- maybe at least a worklight and a few packs of bits). The drill on its own does feel quite heavy though- I think this is because it is a fairly compact so the balance is a little odd for my little girly hands. The instructions are full of dire warnings of bad things if you don't put the drill into the off position, stop the motion of the drill or remove the battery BEFORE you do anything. So they warned you. Anyway, my other Ryobi drill works just fine still, whatever I've done with it.

Philips GC2048/80 Easyspeed Steam Iron with 120g Steam Boost and Ceramic Soleplate, 270 ml, 2300 Watt, Purple
Price: 40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good powerful oractical iron, controls could be clearer, 10 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice smooth soleplate with acute pointy bit for awkward corners. My real appreciation of this iron is the very clever way the power cord is attached to the iron body through a rotating joint. I don't know about you folks, but I've had two irons where the cord started to alarmingly fray around this joint, so this looks a much safer option. You can use it with tapwater (although you need to dilute this with deionised in the hardest water areas). To be frank, I've never pampered my irons, so they've always had tapwater.
To fill, the hinge on the compartment at the top flips to the side. You're supposed to flip the setting to no steam and keep an eye on the max line marked on the water tank. You don't get a water filling pot with this pack. There's a decalcifying setting which you're supposed to perform every two weeks. Fill the iron, heat the iron to max, unplug, hold over the sink and flip to decalcifying while shaking all the water out of the iron.
I have to say that the steam boost is much more powerful than any other iron I've possessed. Bees knees on this one. The layout and clarity of the controls is a little unclear....good grief, I actually had to read the instructions.

Ring Automotive RCT3 Glovebox Kit
Ring Automotive RCT3 Glovebox Kit
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems a fairly good idea., 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the price the quality is fairly decent. This solid shelled pack is full of the things that you need in an emergency. You would need to extract the emergency hammer/seatbelt cutter to shove somewhere accessible (in the hopefully unlikely event you need it, , you don't want to be scrabbling in a glovebox looking for it. I like the gel pack handwarmer (which you can re jig in a pan of water afterwards). The rain poncho, gloves and plasters are the sort of things that you need ONCE suddenly. I've bought several similar led torches to litter around my flat- they are great for a restricted use.

When you've lost your decent ice scraper and torch under the seats and are looking for something quick- this IS a good pack to get you out of a problem fast.

Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian
Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ... am a post 5 decades reader and I enthusiastically liked this book, 27 July 2014
Well I am a post 5 decades reader and I enthusiastically liked this book. I have found no variation in the writing style over the series unlike the other miserable 3 star reviewers. Colfer just sometimes comes up with something unexpected , and if it is beyond the readers' limited experience, then it is going to confuse and frustrate. My only gripe is that I am totally in love with the demon warlock no 1, who only briefly makes an appearance again. This is only because he reminds me of my black bear baby hamster, the runt my new lady hamster's unexpected litter. Feisty little so and so. Happily the antibiotics worked and I didn't get septicaemia from my bitten finger. Small, powerful, and now sweet and cuddly, perfect match to the little soul two books ago. Bring on the rose petals.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: it's mitochondria, not hypochondria!
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Some reliance on inaccurate facts, 27 July 2014
Iit's a short interesting book. When you are at your wits end worrying about your health I'm sure it is a great place to start.
There are interesting descriptions about how the body works which I have to assume the author is far more equipped to state tgan I.
Two things concerned me. Firstly a statement of a multimineral and multivitamin mix she recommends which includes Calcium and Iron. Calcium inhibits Iron absorption, there are lots of dieticians studies on the web. You have to stagger iron intake in order to get enough of it through and absorbed (6 months of anaemia treatment which didn't wrork until I figured out what the GP didnt know,
Secondly the conclusions on what and why you should eat a Palaelithic diet are spurious. We have the Neanderthals,, who on the current DNA research seem to have made it out of Africa first, spread over Europe then croaked. Our lot, Homo sapiens (the proto Banksy cave wall doodling lot) made it out of Africa and some, but not all of our ancestors had a few love trysts with Neanderthals. In return the Neanderthals passed on a type 2 diabetes gene, great. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that Neanderthals just ate meat, as the author regurgitates. Happy cave wrecking early archaeologists just didn't know how to dig carefully enough. They just found some Neanderthal poop near Alicante...they ate veg too.Then it's a statement that 'primitive' stone age tribes don't eat carbohydrates (patronising for a start). The majority diet of the heavily overstudied !Kung San from the Kalahari, was based on tubers and mongogo nuts unglamorously gathered by the gals of the group. This is so not an argument on why you shouldn't eat any fruit (sweet fruit that is). No Neanderthal ate a pepper or a tomato because they weren't living in the Americas. So I ask, why are these two technically fruits consided valid by the author in a palao diet but pears bursting with ant oxidants aren't. If something I know about is so easily ripped apart, then I am less able to trust the information that I was unaware of. Treat with caution (but not with a pinch of salt, ha. If it makes you better, then , good.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2014 12:37 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20