Profile for grimboj > Reviews

Content by grimboj

grimboj "gram2k3"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
MSI GX660 15.6 inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-460M 2.53GHz, 6GB, 1TB, DVDRW, WLAN, Webcam, BT, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a bit plasticky but overflowing with features, 15 April 2011
Hello,

I have had my MSI-660R for about 6 weeks now and played a few different types of games on it for a good 150 hours.

Heres a quick summary

Quality 7/10
Speed 9/10
Value 8/10
Features 8/10
Longevity 7/10

Quality & Longevity - Like most people I am not able to afford a 1,000 GBP laptop regularly so longevity and quality are incredibly important to me. I am very unsure about the longevity of the GX660R, the thing that mosts concerns me is the very thin plastic that surrounds the screen and the amount of flex of the plastic around the screen. The same plastic forms the lid of the laptop and I have had stronger plastic from microwave meal packets, it is a constant source of concern if you carry the laptop around as it becomes very important which way down you place the laptop. Compared to the quality of a DELL Precisions lid, its a very flimsy lid indeed. Also as I type this I'm using the very suspect keyboard on the GX660R, the x key is starting to go a bit after 6 weeks - I fear I will be sending this laptop in for repair certainly before the warranty runs out to get a few niggles fixed. HOWEVER I am hopeful as the quality of the other aspects of the laptop. The base seems solid, there is some flex but the flex is in places where it doesn't matter i.e. There is no flex to the display hinges, on the hand rests or to any parts that protect vital hardware but around the keyboard there is a lot of flex and suspect plastic.

Speed - The laptop is fast enough to run todays big games. My friend bought the latest macbook pro and I can see no performanmce difference in the games we play (civ5, TF2). Startup and shutdown is great and you can't ask for more than a mobility radeon, DDR3 and hardware RAID in a laptop.

Value - If I were to leave the house right now with another 1,000 GBP and buy another laptop I would buy this one. There is flex where I would not like, it might not survive more than 2 years and the macbook pro specs are better BUT this is the best value gaming laptop for a 1,000 GBP budget in the UK market IMHO. Bear in mind though that this laptop lacks blu-ray and it may start to look poor value if the specs of sony viao F series improve (and they fix the reported hardware issues with the F series :P).

Features - The laptop has a lot of stupid features, a turbo button, orange LED strips but it also has a lot of useful features such as one touch hardware battery modes (i.e. gaming, office work, longest battery), a fan to cool it when you're concerned about it's heat, excellent sound quality (built in sub and speakers bigger than my TV), USBs slots everywhere, well ventilated hardware, very bright and clear true 1080p screen.

Battery life is terrible, 2h with light use, if battery life and gaming are both priorities then you want a macbook pro.

I hope my review was useful and you can use it to decide whether this is the right laptop for you, alternatives I considered:

Macbook Pro
Sony F Series
DELL XPS Series
DELL MX15 Series

Palm Pre (Unlocked Multilingual) (QWERTZ, Multi-Lingual, Unlocked, 8GB)
Palm Pre (Unlocked Multilingual) (QWERTZ, Multi-Lingual, Unlocked, 8GB)
Offered by eHome
Price: 79.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing OS, heed the warnings about build quality, 14 Jan 2010
Before you read any more reviews or make any more decisions about this phone, Google: "Palm Pre Screen Cracking". I have a palm pre and low build quality is a very legitimate concern with this phone. This is not an iPhone, the iPhone uses diamond finished glass with a stainless steel back for a build quality that I'm beginning to view as unrivalled. The outer casing of this phone is made entirely of THIN plastic. People have been rough with their Pre's - treating them like 30 phones or iPhones and completely smashed the display on day 1. Its not just a case of getting a new case (hehe!), if you begin a crack on the front of the phone that makes its way to the display then its going to cost a fortune for a new display. I am not a bitter troll, my Pre is absolutely immaculate!

Now that all that seriousness is dispensed with - if you treat this phone like a babies head then you've got a cracking phone on your hands (hehe more puns!). Wifi/3G work really well, I leave my wifi network at home to seamlessly get 3G on the way to work and stroll back onto the work Wifi network. Google maps loads in seconds with my current location centered. The phone upgrades its firmware by itself via Wifi. With very little effort I had the latest OS, GTalk, Facebook, Hotmail and even synched my Google calendar with my facebook Calendar. This is not a niche, hard to use phone for configuration addicts - it works straight out of the box. The browser is better than the iPhone browser IMHO. The app store is small but sufficient for a cheaper niche device. There are some familiar apps in the app-store, spirit level, weather, flixster (movie times), apps by major newspapers and enough radio apps to get you by.

The keyboard is small, you can't go crazy and start typing like mad, you can get a rythm going that's faster than T9 because you don't spend all day trying to add brand names to the T9 dictionary.

The negatives about this phone are big and obvious, decide whether you still want it after knowing them, it is the cheapest device on the market that does bluetooth/Wifi/GPS/3G to an acceptable standard:
*Low Battery Life - 1150mAH Battery on a smartphone? I didn't stop playing with it all afternoon and the battery lasted 10 hours but that did include a patch to the latest version, installing endless apps, virtually constant Wifi, a 20 minute phone call etc. Battery life is no worse than the Samsung Tocco - which had an 1850mAh battery (in mine) and gave the same battery life.
*There is no turn by turn satnav yet and major companies haven't indicated plans for one.
*There is no virtual keyboard yet.
*The app store is smaller than iPhone/Android. You will not notice much difference until you hunt for spotify, sat nav and paper toss, and a decent RSS reader. The App Store is beta and all free atm, this will improve after Easter.
*Nightmare to get to the micro USB, open the latch and leave it open. People have cracked the case just getting to the latch for the first time.

I will be keeping my Pre. Its good value and I can live with the catches for the pleasure of having a very competent phone that does everything I want.

I can't recommend buying a Pre unless you are a very conscientious person that really cares for such devices. Seriously people have smashed the screen just keeping it in their pocket with keys then had massive troubles getting refunds out of their carriers.

Skechers Men's Shape-Ups Trainer
Skechers Men's Shape-Ups Trainer

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable - ideal for a bad ankle, 11 Jan 2010
I have a bad ankle and I'm always hunting for very comfortable shoes, previously I had another branded trainer with a smaller heel and had to use gel inserts with them which gets a bit annoying. These are really great, extremely comfortable - the tread is very light and bouncy but dense enough to take the strain out of walking. They take some getting use to, I rollerskate and ice skate yet find myself a little off balance with these shoes initially. I'm not going to attempt to validate the claims on the box and in the adverts: *In a cool American male voice*: Improve your circulation, improve your posture, get a workout while you walk. Bottom line is they're very confortable shoes that are ideal for someone hunting for such a thing. I am undeniably an inch taller wearing the shoes and they don't look cool as a result, it's quite obvious that you're wearing *special* shoes.

Rock Band: Band in a Box (PS2/PS3)
Rock Band: Band in a Box (PS2/PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Make the drums stop!, 27 Dec 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Great game, some good tracks and OMG Im playing drums in a band! :) But no effort has been made to fix the problems with the drums being so loud that you can't play them. Silencing pads and a pedal that isn't so awkward are essential.

Patience
Patience
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Something really special, 6 Aug 2008
This review is from: Patience (Audio CD)
I've never listened to a george michael album before or since this one, its absolute perfection. There are a couple of slow songs that really make you feel like time stops. There are a couple of dance tracks mixed in but theyre not all out club hits, just something to space out the soft ballads. Its not the two extremes either, inbetween sits lovely acoustic tracks remeniscent of katie melua or madeline peyroux. With nothing to prove and everything to gain he ticks all the boxes this time.

When the Leaves Blow Away [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
When the Leaves Blow Away [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Steven Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious the first time, 6 Aug 2008
Steve stands out as THE dead-pan comedian. There's always an awkward silence for 1/2 a second after a Wright joke as the audience tries to figure out which level the joke is on - he's so dynamic and his dead-pan is so flat that you get caught out every time. He's co-wrote of the last decades funniest comedies and it shows. Definitely worth buying, I use this DVD to set me in the right mood for things like a good nights sleep.

Standing Up [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Standing Up [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Brian Regan
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 5.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 6 Aug 2008
People think me and my brother are completely insane as we spend all day quoting Brian Regan when no one we know has seen this DVD. Absolutely spot on observational comedy, with a great mix of sarchasm and obnoxiousness Brian is funny every single time. If you watch this DVD then you will be smiling all of the next day as you just wont stop coming across references to his jokes.

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach (PC DVD)
Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach (PC DVD)
Offered by Monsterbuy
Price: 7.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated, 6 Aug 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'll be as balanced as possible when reviewing this game.
Pros:
*Excellent combat system with quite a bit of dynamic interaction (boxes smash, valves turn).
*Generally a fun feel, most spells and melee hits have a KERPOW! factor with good sound effects.
*DnD is an excellent format. I never played pen-and-paper but the rules of true DnD make creating and designing a character a fine art. You'll want to start a new character regularly as its complex and rewarding.
*End-game content leaking in: Although most players reroll constantly [as above] some players have demanded end-game content and received it.
*Generally a good interface with great grouping, auction and vendor systems.
*2 week free trial (PRIOR to buying this product!).

Cons:
*Dwindling population that will dissappoint hard core players - I have more fun when I only have an hour a day to play and that hour is the middle of peak :P Solution: Play a pure cleric.
*Repetitive content - as I said the essence of the game is to enjoy creating the most dynamic character, there is a lot of content for first time players but limited variations the second time around.
*Casual playerbase - although most definitely a plus for some, a player wanting to stay in the same party for 6 hours will have trouble finding people that hardcore. A new fad has arisen where players play each of their characters for an hour or so then switch.
*Town layouts are still a bit random. You have to run back to the n00b area to get ammo but then run to the high level area to get spell materials - can get irritating.

Philips Sonicare HX7351 Elite Sonic Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX7351 Elite Sonic Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in gold!, 6 Aug 2008
I have a sonicare 7500 but there appears to be very few differences. I absolutely swear by my sonicare - tried going back to a normal toothbrush and its no comparison. My teeth aren't the best but you can definitely sleep at night knowing that you've done your best with one of these babies. The charge lasts ages - says two weeks but thats a stretch, its more like a week if youre like me and you regularly miss a spot when brushing, definitely sufficient to go on hols and not take the charger. The brush heads are more expensive than a top of the range normal toothbrush :P but realistically it works out about 30/year for new heads if you buy from amazon which is a small price to pay for dental piece of mind.
Main gripes:
*If you set it charging in the morning it wont be done by bedtime but you can grab it anyway and put it back on charge.
*You dont actually realise when the brush heads go. My head is a complete mess but I only realised when I was holding a new one for comparison. Theres a blue colour band but it hasnt even started to fade on a completely trashed brush.
*When the brush head starts to wear the toothbrush becomes almost useless - requiring multiple brushes and still not doing the job properly.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out - No RAM included, 2 Aug 2008
Im feeling a bit stung as this product doesn't include any ram in the rumble pack. As a result you cant run a browser without a seperate ram pack. The build quality isnt perfect either, you have to push the card in more than once for it to show up properly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6