Profile for Bill > Reviews

The Door [DVD]
The Door [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't open that door!, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Door [DVD] (DVD)
Wow, this film is a real stinker. It's a long time since a movie annoyed me so much that I was shouting at the screen.

If you've seen the excellent 'After the Wedding' or 'The Hunt', and you fancy some more sub-titled fare starring the usually dependable Mikkelsen, then don't touch this one with a barge-pole. Although it starts reasonably well, things start to go off the rails about one-third of the way through, and the last third is the biggest load of cobblers I've seen (and that includes anything directed by M Night Shyamalan). The plot descends into incoherent nonsense and just when you hope that the final minutes will contain some kind of redemptive twist (Oh, it was all just a dream, thank God!) the film ends abruptly (probably before both the main leads collapse into helpless fits of laughter).

I'm tempted to fill this review with spoilers to save you the trouble of buying it and watching it. But then I had endure it, and if you read the above and still hit the 'add to basket' button then you only have yourself to blame.

Lost In The Dream
Lost In The Dream

5.0 out of 5 stars The best dream you'll have this year, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Lost In The Dream (Audio CD)
While the rather pompous and puffed-up headliners Arcade Fire hogged the limelight at Glastonbury 2014, another act was entirely ignored. War on Drugs appeared on the Pyramid Stage on Friday, but you wouldn't know it from the BBC coverage.

To find out what you missed, search out the video of their live studio set for Seattle radio station KEXP (you'll find it on You Tube), and lose yourself in the soaring guitars, steamtrain drumming and swirling synths of the best tracks from this, their magnificent third album.

And then buy it. It will be the best music you hear this year. Sixty minutes of brilliance.

50 CD SINGLE JEWEL CASES with black tray
50 CD SINGLE JEWEL CASES with black tray

2.0 out of 5 stars Inferior CD cases from Mtxtoys, 22 May 2014
Be warned... if your order is being fulfilled by mtxtoys, then opt for another product. These turned out to be the flimsiest CD cases I've ever purchased. They arrived in two packs of 25, and the first two I tried to use fell apart in my hand. The rest of the first pack seem ok, but they are so fragile they have to be handled with kid gloves. I'll be very surprised if they stand up to repeated use. I expected better quality from the price, and they are far inferior to cheaper cases which I've bought in the past (and sadly no longer available from the suppliers).

Vision Media 50 X Single CD Jewel Case Black Tray - 10.4mm Spine
Vision Media 50 X Single CD Jewel Case Black Tray - 10.4mm Spine
Offered by Vision Media Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful who you're buying from, 19 May 2014
I thought I was buying CD cases from Vision Media, although they were supplied by a third party: mtxtoys. These turned out to be a vastly inferior product, by far the flimsiest CD cases I've ever purchased. They arrived in two packs of 25, and the first two I tried to use fell apart in my hand. The rest of the first pack seem ok, but they are so fragile they have to be handled with kid gloves. I'll be very surprised if they stand up to repeated use and I expected better quality from the price. Next time I'll make sure I'm buying directly from Vision Media.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 11:12 PM BST

25 x Black 6Way DVD Cases
25 x Black 6Way DVD Cases
Offered by Vision Media Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 19 May 2014
Very pleased with these. They are robust, professional-looking and sit happily together with the shop-bought DVDs on the shelf. They're also adaptable, as you can remove the centre leaf (which holds two DVDs) if you don't need it. Prompt delivery, with none damaged in transit.

Premium 120 Micron CD Sleeve With Flap (100 Pack)
Premium 120 Micron CD Sleeve With Flap (100 Pack)
Offered by Dragon Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 19 May 2014
Good quality CD sleeves which arrived very promptly. Very economical and Just what I expected and needed. There's nothing else to say, really.

Above the Street Below the Water [DVD]
Above the Street Below the Water [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sidse Babett Knudsen

2.0 out of 5 stars Scandi Beige, 15 Jan. 2014
A surprisingly monotonous film in which the residents of one Copenhagen neighbourhood complain about their unfulfilled lives and rather despairingly interact with one another (in cars, houseboats, dressing-rooms, toilets) while their offspring look on bemused or disgusted. None of the adult characters is sympathetic, and most are strictly one-note (the Drunken Ex-husband, the lonely Marriage Counsellor, the Over-Weight Actress, the Kinky Theatre Director). Some characters lack even a single defining trait (such as the guy playing Hamlet, I'm not sure he even has a name).

Sidse Babett Knudsen is of course wonderful, and acts the pants off everyone else, but she alone isn't worth the price of the ticket. I thought I'd willingly pay good money to watch her changing a tap washer, but after this yawn-fest, maybe not. You can while away the time trying to identify the rest of the cast ("look, it's that blond kid again!"), deciphering the subtitles (often displayed in white on bright backgrounds) and enjoying the autumnal street scenes (rather more colourful than they are in 'The Bridge') but the 86 minutes will still seem like a lifetime.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2014 11:42 PM GMT

Bangkok Hilton [1990] [DVD]
Bangkok Hilton [1990] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman

3.0 out of 5 stars A mostly enjoyable stay at the rather dated Hilton, 26 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bangkok Hilton [1990] [DVD] (DVD)
An entertaining mini-series but one which is definitely showing its age, and certainly doesn't bear comparisons with the HBO box-sets of today. The plot has holes in it which you could drive a drugs-laden 747 through, let alone a Thai tuk-tuk, and the Australian TV production values would have been dodgy had the series been made in the 1970s; for 1989, when this was actually broadcast, the direction, casting and soundtrack are almost unbelievably naff.

However, if you manage to get through the first 30 minutes (and the droning synthesiser soundtrack makes this particularly tough going) you'll probably enjoy the ride. Before the end of episode one, most of the mis-cast minor female characters have thankfully died, leaving Nicole Kidman to hold centre-stage, bringing the story alive from the moment she appears, and surprising everyone by demonstrating that - at least in this early stage of her screen career - she is capable of acting well AND keeping her kit on at the same time. Denholm Elliott plays, well, Denholm Elliot, and has a fine old time chewing the scenery and sweating profusely. A young Hugo Weaving puts in a sterling performance, while Joy Smithers, playing an Aussie heroin addict, is completely unintelligible. The location cinematography is worthy of note, and if you've been to Bangkok you'll happily spot all those temples and canals you visited.

So, in the end, 4 stars for exotic scene-setting, 3 stars for acting, 3 for plot, and minus 1 star for 'music'. Not a classic, but you won't begrudge the 4-and-a-half hours you've spent watching it.

Epson WorkForce Pro WP-4535DWF A4 Multifunction Inkjet Printer
Epson WorkForce Pro WP-4535DWF A4 Multifunction Inkjet Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, economical and great quality, 12 Jan. 2013
I ordered this nearly three months ago, but decided to wait before posting a review. The main reason I bought it was because I was sick of paying exorbitant prices for ink cartridges the size of a matchbox, and had heard this printer was far more economical.

Well, it is. After frequent, daily use since the first day, I still haven't even replaced the (low capacity) cartridges which it was shipped with, let along try the high capacity Epson XL cartridges which I ordered at the same time.

The printer is very fast, even when powered-up from sleep mode, and reasonably quiet. Text quality is excellent, and graphics too. I use it for publication proofs to submit to clients and (after some tweaking) can get it to print proofs which are close to the final job. No, it's not a photo printer, but it's not far off. You may need to experiment with various settings, but when you get it right, the photos are pretty impressive (although you can see the dots if you look closely). I've used inkjet, premium gloss, matt (double sided) and bog-standard copier paper, and I've been pleased with the result on all of them. Envelopes too.

Copying is good too, but I have no need for the fax option and haven't tried it.

One slight niggle: if you let the printer decide for itself which tray to take the paper from (rear or below) it tends to use the option you last selected. So there have been a couple of occasions when I've printed a document all over a DL envelope (which is what I'd loaded into the rear tray). I suspect there's an easy way of avoiding this if I take the trouble to read the manual. And I haven't got the hang of printing on both sides (sometimes it worked, sometimes not), but again I expect this is more my fault. And it's not an option I need very often (it's just as easy to print one side, and then reload the paper for the other side).

And another drawback is the size; its desk-footprint is pretty massive. Mind you, it looks the business so I don't mind too much.

Unless things go pear-shaped sometime in the future, this is undoubtedly the best printer I've ever had, and ideal for a small business.

Voyageur
Voyageur
Offered by positivenoise

3.0 out of 5 stars That difficult 4th album, 26 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Voyageur (Audio CD)
If you're unsure as to whether you should add this one to your collection, at the time of writing (Feb, 2012) you can listen to the entire album on Kathleen Edward's own website. Which is nice of her, but possibly not good commercial sense, as after a few listens you might well, like me, decide that it's by far the weakest of her albums to date. What happened to the cojones she proudly displayed on Failer, one of the finest debut albums I've heard in a decade? Anyway, I'll stick with her for a while yet, and hope one day she rediscovers her groove.

And she's fantastic live.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9