Profile for cowwalk > Reviews

Drowning Rose
Drowning Rose
by Marika Cobbold

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Drowning Rose (Paperback)
I bought the book on the basis of reading the positve reviews on this website and because I enjoyed Cobbold's previous books. I didn't particularly enjoy this one however, even though it was quite readable. It was predictable and too often cliched which barely raised it above the level of chick lit - albeit the better end of chick lit. The author's previous novels were much more original.
Sandra/Cassandra was the most interesting character and I would rather have read an entire novel based around her life. The main character Eliza, although portrayed as being engagingly flawed is nevertheless not particularly likeable or interesting and I didn't really care what happened to her.

My Neck of the Woods: A Childhood in Bedford's Black Tom
My Neck of the Woods: A Childhood in Bedford's Black Tom
by Violet Tompkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting social history, 10 Feb. 2014
I found this book interesting from a social history point of view. It is written very matter of factly and does not talk about the author's inner emotions a great deal.

A Peaceful Retirement
A Peaceful Retirement
by Miss Read

3.0 out of 5 stars want to give it 5, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A Peaceful Retirement (Paperback)
I love all books by Miss Read. However, they were written over a fifty year time span. The later books were written by Dora Saint when she herself was quite an old woman and I think it shows. In all three of the final Fairacre novels she still writes well and paints amusing and sympathetic portraits of her characters. However the books suffer from slightly loose main plots and some subplots that don't really go anywhere. Also one has to suspend disbelief in the case of her pupils, such as Joseph Coggs, who seem to have been at primary school for about twenty years. I think Dora Saint knew how popular these pupil characters were and didn't want to have them move up to secondary school. So whilst I enjoyed the book, I also recognised it faults and unfortunately cannot give it five stars. The first of the Thrush Green novels however is in my opinion a perfect work in terms of structure and writing.

Gossip from Thrush Green
Gossip from Thrush Green
by Miss Read

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 1 Dec. 2013
I like the fact that it was a hard back library book. It has character. .

Comfort and Joy
Comfort and Joy
by India Knight

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful book, 22 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Comfort and Joy (Paperback)
I am glad I am not the only one who thought this book was awful. It was lazily written and seems to me to reflect the current world of blogs and twitter far too closely. The author seems to believe that people will read any old banal drivel these days. Unfortunately many will. I won't read anything by India Knight again.