Profile for Mr. I. W. L. Murdoch > Reviews

Content by Mr. I. W. L. M...

Mr. I. W. L. Murdoch "Iain" (UK)

The Redemption Of Zounds
The Redemption Of Zounds

4.0 out of 5 stars Not worthy of 'classic album' status, 30 Aug 2013
Zounds are one of those bands whose very denial of any 'punk rock' credentials has made them somehow more 'punk' than many 3 minute shouty bands. I've liked them since the release of 'War/Subvert/Can't Cheat Karma' thirty odd years ago. They (Steve Lake, that is) always came across as writers of well-crafted, catchy tunes with a thoughtful and original message - something different - along with The Mob - from the plethora of clone anarcho / anti-war bands. I've seen them live a good few times in recent years and been a bit disappointed. The shows have been largely a 'greatest hits' package interspersed with lengthy rambles by Steve: entertaining, but not essential.
So I'd been hoping that 'Redemption...' would offer something exciting and meaningful. I'm really not sure it does. I've rated it **** out of respect for the band, but I think that's a little generous. There are some good tracks here and some perceptive observations but frankly some of the lyrics are more worthy of an angst ridden schoolboy than a middle-aged 'man of the world' ('What makes a man today?/What makes him say the things he says?'; 'Why do people have to hurt each other/act mean and ugly and nasty to each other'). In addition, much of the delivery is slow-paced and, dare I say it 'whiny'.
I can see why people are rating this, but my point is that bands like Zounds used to make people sit up and listen. This is listenable and entertaining enough but that's it. I don't know, maybe that makes it even MORE 'punk'. Me, I'd rather listen to TV Smith, an artist who still has something important to say and who says it with vibrancy and energy.

For Madmen Only
For Madmen Only

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic rediscovered, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: For Madmen Only (Audio CD)
Saw UK Decay back in the early '80s supporting Theatre of Hate and bought this on vinyl on the strength of the live performance. It's a classic of its type. Dark and broody without ever lapsing into gothic cliches. The CD release contains pretty much everything else they released as well which is a bonus but for me the original Lp tracks are the highlights. The recently released 'comeback' LP is also worth a punt.

Epitaph Summer Sampler 2013
Epitaph Summer Sampler 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A freebie, so I'm not moaning, 29 Aug 2013
Fairly standard stuff. Mixture of pop-punk, hardcore and screamo. Credit to Epitaph for making music available for free. Means I'm listening to some bands I wouldn't normally which can only be a good thing.

How to Take the Grrrr Out of Anger (Laugh and Learn)
How to Take the Grrrr Out of Anger (Laugh and Learn)
by Elizabeth Verdick

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful book, 24 July 2012
Havingb bought this for use with secondary age children on the recommendation of an educational psychologist I was a bit disappointed to see that it was apparently directed towards younger children. However, on closer inspection, it is a very useful resource for the many children who find it difficult to deal with anger management. Well worth buying for kids of all age.