Profile for E. Swainston > Reviews

Content by E. Swainston

E. Swainston "missieclair" (W-s-M, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Attack Of The Grey Lantern
Attack Of The Grey Lantern
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of my favourite albums, 27 Mar 2007
This album came out in 1997, this was Mansun's first album & includes the hit singles Wide Open Space & Stripper Vicar.

I bought this on cassette when it first came out to listen to on my walkman on the way to college & have almost worn the tape out, I then had this album on mini disk format, but now have this on CD due to the CD player in the car. This album hasn't aged at all, it still has the same overall feel & would fit in well with some of the songs that are around today.

My favorite track is still, Disgusting, it along with all the other tracks, they still make me want to sing along with them & still make me think that this is one of the best albums that I have ever owned.

I can't stress this enough, this album hasn't aged & still sounds good. In my opinion is the best of Mansun's albums, I've had them all, & they have all departed my collection in one way of another but Attic of The Grey Lantern is still there & I'm very sad but I have them in 3 formats, none of which I will part with.

Burlesque and the Art of the Teese/ Fetish and the Art of the Teese
Burlesque and the Art of the Teese/ Fetish and the Art of the Teese
by Dan Anderson
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 Mar 2007
This book is very interesting. It covers the carrer & expression of art of Dita Von Teese, & put together very well. Explaining the art of performance that is Burlesque, the varied costumes alone will keep you interested to keep reading this book with the colourful & fun pictures. Also on the flip side of the book, explores Fetish, Dita's own personal style & tips on where the best places for corsets are, the keys guides to finding your own style, exploring the history of fetish to name but a few. Again, this section of the book has colourful & black & white pictures, all showing lavish costumes. For anyone that's just curious or someone that wants a nice book to take you away while flipping through it, this book has it all. It is a large book though, more of a coffe table book than a light read.

Alright, Still
Alright, Still
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but a grower, 14 Aug 2006
This review is from: Alright, Still (Audio CD)
I bought "Smile" as I loved this song, I was really looking forward to the album.

Alright Still is of a simular sound but all tracks each have their own individual sound that took a little getting used to at first but now I love them all. If you enjoyed "Cheryl Twwedy" & "Absolutly Nothing" on the Smile single then I think you'll like this album.

I based this album on Smile & wasn't sure at first as some of the songs didn't seem so uplifting as Smile, but after a few listens it doesn't take long before you start enjoying the other songs.

The latest single "LDN" is fab & also on this album. I find the songs easy to remember & always make me laugh at some of the words. The tunes behind them are all strong & suited to quite a few different music tastes.

I really like this album & think that you'd be hard pushed to not like any of the songs on it. It's catchy, It's fun, but deffinatly a grower.

March of the Penguins - Luc Jacquet [DVD] [2005]
March of the Penguins - Luc Jacquet [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Luc Jacquet
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 6 Aug 2006
The photography of the landscape is beautiful. The harrowing story of the Penguins' plight to reproduce was both interesting & sad.

This DVD narrated by Morgan Freeman tells the tale of a group of Penguins that must travel 100s' of miles to their breeding ground. Battling weather conditions & lack of food they must keep their eggs from touching the bitterly cold ice & keep it warm until hatching.

Once the mothers has laid her egg she must take the treck back to their feeding ground to eat, bringing food back for her new baby, unaware of whether her egg has survived or not. On her return the males must then leave to also find food but under conditions of starvation.

This is a very moving & picturesque documentry film about the lives of the Penguins that risk all in harsh circle of life that keeps them alive in the Antartic.

Really enjoyed this film & while bits can be funny & cute, it can also be sad.

Smile
Smile
Offered by thegreatergoods
Price: 4.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 20 July 2006
This review is from: Smile (Audio CD)
This is the first single from Lily Allen.

All songs are well sung & have a good tune behind them. Have played none stop in car since I bought it, looking forward to getting the album.

No Doubt: Rocksteady - Live [DVD] [2003]
No Doubt: Rocksteady - Live [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ No Doubt
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 13.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 17 July 2006
I don't like certain concert DVDs so wasn't sure, but stuck it on the Xmas list anyway. Hey presto, it arrived & what a pressie!

This DVD is a fast paced concert from start to end. It includes the old Favorites Sunday Morning, Ex-Girlfriend, Simple Kind of Life, Bathwater, Just a Girl, Magic's In The Make Up & New. It mainly covers Rock Steady but you don't get all the tracks that are on the Rock Steady Album. You get In my Head, Hella Good, Running, Underneath It All, Platnum Blonde Life, Don't Let Me Down & Hey Baby. With encores of Rock Steady, Spider Webs & Don't Speak.

Bonus material is: Additional Live Footage, Individual Band Members Features, Behind The Scenes & Band Interviews.

The combination of this album with the previous songs works well, & with Gwen Stefani's high energy performance it's fun & entertaining. My friend isn't a fan as such but really liked it & I am a big fan & absolutley loved it.

If you are a No Doubt or Gwen Stefani fan then this is worth having in your collection.

Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005]
Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005]
Dvd ~ Julia Roberts
Offered by Bridge_Records
Price: 2.70

2.0 out of 5 stars How did this win an Oscar!, 4 July 2006
This review is from: Closer [DVD] [2004] [2005] (DVD)
Closer tells the tale of Dan (Jude Law) who bumps into Alice (Natalie Portman), Dan writes obituaries & wants to be a writter, Alice is a stripper. Skip a few years with no real explanation they are now living together, Dan has written a book & goes to Anna (Julia Roberts) to have some professional photos taken. Dan & Anna have a brief moment & kiss before Alice arrives. After sending Dan away she tells Anna she knows they are up to something but lets it slide, but still insists on her photograph being taken by Anna while she is uopset.

Dan then pursues Anna but is turned down, he ends up on a website pretending to be a woman for "research" & meets Larry (Clive Owen). After a little net chat they arrange to meet at the Aquarium, one of Anna's favourate places, however, he has also introduced himself as Anna. Larry goes, meets the real Anna but they end up together!

Again, skip a few years, no explanation. Anna has an exhibition of her photographs, including the photograph of Alice. Anna & Larry are still together, Dan & Alice turn up. After more chat ups & come ons from Dan with Anna (quite creepy begging on Dan's part, I dislike Jude Law in this film), he leaves her wondering.

Now I got really confused. Anna & Larry have married. Some more time has past & Dan & Anna have been having an affair, not shown at all, no secret meetings, now phone calls nothing. Larry finds out & you have a detailed conversation about what happened. Then Dan & Alice have the same conversation! Very wordy, not easy to follow, really bored me. Larry then finds Alice at the strip club she works at & apparently sleeps with her.

Won't say what happens at the end of the film in case you still do want to see it. This was very disappointing, it had so much hype, I really wanted to see it, it was pants!

I like Julia Roberts & Natalie Portman, I liked Clive Owen in Sin City, but wasn't a fan of Jude Law though The Talented Mr Ripley role suited him. I was disappointed with all of there performances except Portman's due to looking like little girl lost most of the way through, then being shown as such a woman near to the end.

I've given this 2 stars as I think it deserved more than 1. It's cleverly done & interesting to certain people but not my thing. I feel it needed more explanation as I didn't connect with the characters much, you aren't shown who they are or why things have happened. It's like watching Big Brother for only 2 hours, being shown the heart & soul of these people when you don't really know who they are!

I don't feel this deserved any Oscars, for it moves so slowly I swear it could have gone backwards. To some it might show artistic production but I just can't see it.

Alone in the Dark [DVD]
Alone in the Dark [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christian Slater
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.70

2.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL, 19 May 2006
This review is from: Alone in the Dark [DVD] (DVD)
I sat down to watch this with the write up looking interesting. It wasn't!

Christian Slater plays a psychic investigator that for an unexplained reason in the film starts off with some sort of artifact. He takes this item to Tara Reid who works in a museum & they have other artifacts that the professor (who seems to have been taken over by the cretures) has collected. Stephen Dorf heads a government department that i'm still not sure if Slater worked for but the story makes out that he did who are fighting creatures that Slater & Reid end up fighting. I'm still not sure what sure what the creatures are but they don't like the light & can take over a host body.

The description sounds vague but i'm still not sure what actually happened in this film. The story was weak, the actors didn't seem that into the roles they were playing, + the badly timed & random love scene between Slater & Reid was quite pointless as the story never really defines their relationship in the film, they just seem to have history.

I got up 3 times during this film to do other things. From a girls point of view it might be worth a watch to see Slater looking good & walking round in a vest for most of the film but there isn't much else to watch it for. The effects start out good but then look rubbish later in the film & their use of fake blood is gaudy. No story, no skill, no heart & no soul.

The only reason that I've given this film 2 stars is that i am a fan of Slater's acting, but even that doesn't cut it in this film.

Motorola C975 Threepay Pay As You Go Mobile Phone with 30 of Credit
Motorola C975 Threepay Pay As You Go Mobile Phone with 30 of Credit

2.0 out of 5 stars A BRICK!, 17 Mar 2006
This phone is pants. I've had this phone for nearly a year & it's rubbish! It's heavy & bulky, it's not user friendly & I have found it increasingly hard to find features on this phone, & after messing around with it I could only find what I needed by accident. The battery is not very good at all, you get about a day, day & a half at best out of it. After time the keys don't sit flush on the pad anymore, & this irrates me so much, when you're key pad is locked you should only be able to to dail 9 for emergency numbers, but this somehow manages to dial what ever numbers have been hit in your bag & still shows up as an emergency number!
Avoid this phone, it seems to have a mind of it's own. It's big bulky & usless. It's a pain & I am still looking for some of the features that I swear I found once upon a time but now to no avail (yes I have looked at the manual & that is no help).
Sorry, I just really don't like it.

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story [DVD]
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Stiller
Offered by Entertainment Direct
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 3 Mar 2006
Vince Vaughn's Character runs a small gym called Average Joes, it only has a few customers & he hasn't been collecting their membership fees & is steadily getting himself deeper into debt. Ben Stiler's "Globo Gym" however is a massive corperate gym. As Vaughn's business starts to go under Stiller reveals that he will buy up his Gym unless he can afford $50,000.
Vaughn & his small band of misfits (comprising of Stephen Root, AKA Milton from Office Space) set out to enter the ADAA Dodgeball tournment in Las Vegas. They win their regional qualifying match by default but soon learn that Stiller's team have managed to cheat their way into the finals.
Rip Torn (from Men in Black) joins them to train them, with hilarious outcomes. They are also joined by Christine Taylor (The Wedding Singer & Zoolander) & steadily begin to Beat the competition into a pulp until the unevitable showdown match between the Average Joes & Globo Gym.
I am really not a fan of Ben Stiler Movies but I loved Dodgeball. I didn't stop laughing & as usual Stiller's character is so far out, even I didn't find this one too much. The hair, the clothes, the voice, this character is fab!
This is deffinatley a great film to watch & I would recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2