Profile for Jean Wyatt > Reviews

Christian Beginnings: From Nazareth to Nicaea, AD 30-325
Christian Beginnings: From Nazareth to Nicaea, AD 30-325
by Geza Vermes

4.0 out of 5 stars an interesting and scholarly book, 13 Feb 2014
This is an interesting and scholarly book, drawing on Jewish as well as Christian traditions, including numerous references to the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Vermes traces how the mission of Jesus was understood from being a Charismatic Jewish preacher, prophet and healer - (which is as far as Vermes himself is able to accept) - to the later understanding of Jesus as God incarnate, and ultimately the second person of the trinity

A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
by James Bowen

4.0 out of 5 stars my sister enjoyed this, 19 Oct 2013
I gave this book to my sister as a present, and she really enjoyed it - but I have not read it

Listening to God
Listening to God
by Joyce Huggett

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring read, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Listening to God (Paperback)
Joyce Huggett describes her personal journey into contemplative prayer.
She leads the reader by the heart, it seems, into the ecstasies and the disappointments of her quest.
She finds deep contentment and a closeness to God which few 'ordinary Christians' achieve - but she makes the journey seem accessible to ordinary Christians (like me) too.
She awakens a desire to follow a similar path - but as no two people travel this path in the same way - each one of us will journey in a way that is uniquely our own.
But she warns us of 'The dark night of the soul' which most contemplatives will sooner or later experience.
Read this book if you can - and I hope you find it as inspiring as I did

Story of Ruth Twelve Moments In Every
Story of Ruth Twelve Moments In Every
by Joan D Chittister

4.0 out of 5 stars review of 'The Story of Ruth', 14 April 2013
At times the author, Joan Chittister, goes well beyond the text in the thoughts she draws out, but nevertheless her ideas are always worth reading, and quite thought -provoking.
She somewhat over-states her very evident feminist agenda, but I nevertheless enjoyed the book immensely.
The pictures are exquisite and beautifully complement the text.
I gave this book to my grand-daughter and she was delighted

Person-Centred Counselling in Action (Counselling in Action series)
Person-Centred Counselling in Action (Counselling in Action series)
by Dave Mearns

5.0 out of 5 stars review of person centred counselling in action, 14 April 2013
I read this book 11 years ago (library copy) and decided to re-read and purchase my own copy recently.
Both times I found the book engagingly and warmly written, and was totally absorbed by it.
It is very helpful to anyone in training as a counsellor, especially in the person-centred tradition, but it would be a good basis for the core conditions for counselling in any tradition,
It is also very helpful for someone like myself who wants to be reminded of the basic concepts of the practice of a counsellor.
I strongly recommend this book

History of Israel (Old Testament Library)
History of Israel (Old Testament Library)
by John Bright

2.0 out of 5 stars an old edition of a good book, 4 Jan 2013
This is an excellent book, but i did not realise when I bought it - (perhaps that was why it was cheap!) that there are about 4 editions since this one.
Therefore I feel that I cannot use it for serious study in case it is out of date

With My Whole Heart: Reflections on the heart of the Psalms
With My Whole Heart: Reflections on the heart of the Psalms
by James Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars a book to be savoured, 4 Jan 2013
The book is a series of very personal reflections by bishop James Jones, based on his recent experience of heart surgery, which he admits he found difficult. During convalescence he set himself the task of meditating on any psalm which referred to 'the heart' (which in Hebrew thinking is the seat of the emotions). He says: 'writing them became part of my rule of life, and if truth be told, part of my therapy'
The reflections are often quite moving, and would relate to anyone who might be struggling in their lives.

He quotes the relevant verses from the old fashioned Coverdale translation of psalms, (used in the Book of Common Prayer) and I found that this encouraged me to compare this with a more modern version.

This is not a book to be gulped down at a sitting, but one to be savoured page by page - one meditation each day.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A book which should never be forgotten, 4 Nov 2012
This is an old book, written before the outbreak of the second world war - but it makes a strorg appeal, from the stance of the New Testament - for Christtins to embrace a pacifist approach.
One of the most helpful sections of the book is the chapter on the history of pacifism that shows that until the time of Constantine the church was almost universally pacifist - even when this meant persecution or martyrdom.
It set me wondering how the history of the world would have changed if this stance had been upheld throughout 'Christendom' in the days of the 'Holy Roman Empire'...

Sharing the Darkness: The Spirituality of Caring
Sharing the Darkness: The Spirituality of Caring
by Jean Vanier

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Read' for radical Christians, 4 Nov 2012
I read this book about twenty years ago; but recently re-read it.
Once again I was moved and challenged. this is one of those heart-wrenching books that I can hardly put down. I only hope that its impact leads to some permenant changes in my attitudes

Cassidy draws on her experiences as a prisoner of conscience in Chile, her unsuccessful attempt to be a nun, her visit to a L'Arch community, and above all her experience of setting up and working in a hospice for the dying. Throughout she is brutally honest about her own weaknesses and failings, and her tendancey to burn-out and depression; but this adds a deeper dimension of truth to the book. She does not allow her readers to put her on a pedistle - but shares her own experience of darkness as well as the darkness that she is trying to enlighten.
A 'Must Read' for all who are seeking to live as radical Christians in a caring capacity

Making Sense of Sex (Modern Church)
Making Sense of Sex (Modern Church)
by Adrian Thatcher

3.0 out of 5 stars like the curate's egg - excellent in parts, 4 Nov 2012
This review is written from a liberal viewpoint, and the author's comments are often helpful and enlightened; but his liberal stance on scripture does mean that he chooses to ride lightly over those parts of scripture that he finds inconvenient to his thesis - especailly in the section on homosexuality.

And I found myself writing 'RUBBISH' with an angry pencil in the margin against some statements. Especially the daft statement that "for most of Christin history there were not two sexes but one ('man')". OK - society was patriarchal, and the male gender was used for God - but his female attributes are often stressed also; and there is a real problem for those languages that do not have an indeterminate personal pronoun! The creation of two sexes in Genesis 1 and 2 could not be clearer; and as the author has already stressed, sexuality is honoured in much of the Bible.

Page: 1 | 2