Profile for bkkmei > Reviews

Mira Slidebar Wall Fixing Assembly 449.03
Mira Slidebar Wall Fixing Assembly 449.03
Offered by The Shower Doctor

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Sep 2014
Just what we needed to fix our shower bar!

Loki
Loki

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Loki (Kindle Edition)
I was lucky enough to grab this book for free on kindle, but would happily pay for it now.
A great read: exciting, enjoyable, a real empathy with the characters. Really well-written. I know next to nothing about Norse mythology but found the book fascinating and am intrigued to learn more.

Ladies Digital LCD Sports Watch - Gift Boxed - Multi Functional- 15-22cm Strap - 3ATM - Round Red (m)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value digital watch, 20 April 2012
Bought this watch to do some simple timing for running. Easy to set up, works fine, and very reasonably priced.

The Little Friend
The Little Friend
by Donna Tartt

4.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Little Friend (Paperback)
Be aware: this isn't The Secret History.

But it is a very evocative book that reminded me simultaneously of To Kill a Mockingbird (a story told from a child's point of view) and Fargo (farcial criminals).

Twelve year old Harriet, fierce and determined, sets out to find the murderer of her older brother who died when she was a baby. Latching on to snippets of information, she sets her sights on Danny, a drugged-up-to-the-eyeballs criminal. Following him, haunting him, she can't see the consequences of her impulsive actions.

It's a self-indulgently long book, yet I couldn't stop reading it. The characters are richly individual. The setting of Mississippi was interesting - for a while I had a hard time figuring out the time period of the book. But what was particularly evocative for me was the long summer holiday - hot seemingly endless days, not much to do, kids looking for excitement...

Don't expect non-stop thrills, or an enthralling plot-line. It's a slow-burn, a twisting journey, beautifully written. I'm happy to have read it.

Murder in Samarkand - A British Ambassador's Controversial Defiance of Tyranny in the War on Terror
by Craig Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars Terribly enlightening, 16 Sep 2009
In 2007 I was an ignorant tourist in Uzbekistan exploring the Silk Road. I wish that I had read this book beforehand - I found it gripping, fascinating, terribly enlightening.

It's been a long time since I have felt moved enough to write a book review but for me, Craig Murray's actions were extremely brave - perhaps naively so. I felt sickened and disgusted by the Karimov regime's brutality and the UK government's condoning of it. But I felt inspired by what Craig Murray felt he should do to stand up to all of this.

He is honest in portraying his own flaws (I still give this book five stars even if the many lecherous remarks wear thin). And he writes fluidly - I wasn't especially keen to start the book but I really raced through it.