ARRAY(0xaaa70498)

Profile for Colin Spacecraft Man > Reviews

Content by Colin Spacecra...

Colin Spacecraft Man "ColinP" (Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Balanchine: Jewels [Blu-ray] [2010]
Balanchine: Jewels [Blu-ray] [2010]
Dvd ~ Kader Belarbi
Price: 21.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Unacceptable video quality, 28 Mar 2014
Benford has commented on the unacceptable video quality; I agree. Not Blu-ray or even decent DVD quality.
Further there are '2 second' action shots (e.g.of the torso only when the dancers are dancing across the stage) which creates visual discontinuity. Buy at cheapest price & it's tolerable which is a pity really since it could have been great.

Quixote, Don / Nureyev Australian Ballet [Blu-ray] [Region A & B & C] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Rudolf Nureyev
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 25.02

Don Quixote [DVD] [2012]
Don Quixote [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ The Australian Ballet
Price: 9.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Don Quixote [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
The Blu-ray transfer is truly awful. Even 1 star is too many. Beware, on reading the reverse of the Blu-ray package I see that it has been re-mastered from a 35mm 1972 film. That accounts for the very blurred & distorted visuals which means sometimes the dancers have 4 legs/4 arms (if you can see them) & the movements are jumpy. It's a real pain on the eyes. And the audio track is also poor. Stopped it after 30 minutes & will donate to the charity shop or bin. I expect the DVD is no better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 1:54 PM BST

Don Quixote [Blu-ray] [2012]
Don Quixote [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ The Australian Ballet
Price: 18.86

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs, 22 Mar 2014

Panasonic TX-P50VT50B 50-inch Full HD 1080p 3D Smart Viera Plasma TV with Freeview HD and Freesat HD including 2 free pairs of 3D glasses - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Optical Digital Output distorts severely, 27 Oct 2013
My star ratings (out of 5)
Panasonic service: Zero
Dealer: 5
TV picture: 4 (because of sever reflections in any but the darkest room). Otherwise very good.

Here is my experience to date. Anyone experience the same/similar problem? I am awaiting a response from Panasonic to an Email. Will update as the situation develops. I point out that delivered was TX-P50VT65B (the replacement model for VT50B). Notified Panasonic Friday midday, they replied Wednesday midday with a useless Public Relations Email. Good job the dealer knew what to do!!

I have had this TV 7 days. Dated 1200hrs Friday 25 October.
1)3 times when switching channel I have had a loud harsh, hacking, staccato noise. The picture is OK. The sound is loud enough to destroy the speakers. Signal strength/quality is 10 (ten). I switch channels & everything is OK. I immediately return to the original channel without problem.
2)Initially when switching on the `start menu screen' shows. Shortly (5 or 10 seconds) after I select the required channel there is a 3dB to 6db sound level reduction. Why? What can I do to fix it? I am using the digital optical audio output with a high quality cable. An alternative cable I have is the same. An update from mid-November: The noise dip differential just stopped occurring & I turned my pre-amp down accordingly.

UPDATE @ 2330hrs Saturday 26/10/2013
The `hacking noise' reported in point 1 above has occurred on Channels 101 & 102 but only on the optical output, the TV audio is unaffected. The hacking sound persisted even after repeated switching (over 10 minutes) to other channels & resetting the DAC. Repeatedly switching ON/OFF the TV had no effect, noise continued on these 2 channels. So now it is MUCH worse & persistent than ever before. Will check on Sunday the situation.

Another point is that the screen is so black that when daytime viewing (not very often) all the room can be seen reflected in the screen (somewhat annoying even with the curtains drawn).

OK watching MotoGP Sunday afternoon, strong reflections from my south facing lounge even with the curtains drawn. I switch on & the noise problem is immediately there on channels 101/102. I do couple of channels hops & it's only on these 2. I go back to 101/102 & still bad. More channel hops but no others show this problem. Then I'm back with 102 for the Moto GP & no problem (no hacking noise), everything perfect. So perhaps only 101/102 occasionally affected!! I emphasise only Optical audio output affected, TV audio is OK.

Sunday evening the noise fault repeatedly occurred on 101 & after 20 minutes I gave up using the Optical Output.

Monday AM. I am advised by the dealer to change 'Audio SPDIF' from 'Auto' to 'PCM'. Done so let's see what happens.
2 weeks later I can report that selecting PCM seems to have solved the problem.

The Wicker Tree [Blu-ray]
The Wicker Tree [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Christopher Lee
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 6.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 17 Oct 2013
Gave it to the charity shop. Even 1 star is too many, zero better. The original Wicker Man is good laugh but this is just tedious.

Finnegans Wake (Wordsworth Classics)
Finnegans Wake (Wordsworth Classics)
by James Joyce
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 years required to read & undestand it, 3 Oct 2013
Finnegans Wake. Well it took me 6 months to read Ulysses (including the excellent guide book necessary for comprehension). That's about 250 hours.
I thought I'd try FW next. I have 3 books to help understanding, that's 4 books to read. So far I have read the introduction & a few pages of FW. I recon it takes 2 hours to read each page of FW to have any hope of understanding it. The problem is that having deciphered each sentence & paragraph it takes so long that the previous paragraph has been almost forgotten & is difficult to reprise. I can appreciate that it is a great novel. BUT do I want to spend 2 to 3 years to read it? Somehow I feel that I can use the time so much better. I am not going to give up, but perhaps I will wait until I am infirm & obliged to stay in & read, & I have the necessary 1500 hours.
If I were cynical I could perhaps mock/joke about FW by saying that each word has so many meanings/interpretations/double meanings/etc/etc that by only a slight extension perhaps the whole OED (Oxford English Dictionary) could be replaced by one word since each word has all meanings. FW renders language both very rich & meaningless.
Reading & understanding this book is a truly daunting intellectual challenge & not for the fainthearted & not just `for fun'.

ebertSankey 210-Litre Water Butt and Lid
ebertSankey 210-Litre Water Butt and Lid

4.0 out of 5 stars Leaky Tap?, 7 Sep 2013
When it arrived I checked the tap & found one of the flanges broken (I initially thought that the inside nut was cross-threaded). I installed a spare tap I had & I am sure it will be watertight. Approximate dimensions are : max circumference 184cm so diameter 60cm & max height including lid 97cm which is different to reported elsewhere. Otherwise I am sure will perform as required. I'm going to link this to an existing butt using a siphon to avoid hole cutting.

Belgian Giant Begonias - 10 Uprights and 10 Trailers
Belgian Giant Begonias - 10 Uprights and 10 Trailers
Offered by YouGarden
Price: 14.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Only 2/3 grew after 3 months, 27 July 2013
1) I ordered 40 & initially received 30, the last 10 coming after I noticed the shortfall.
2) 3 months after planting only two thirds have grown. I bought already established plants form a local garden centre to fill the spaces & for another part of my garden & their performance is superior.

Aircraft of the Third Reich: Arado to Focke-Wulf v. 1
Aircraft of the Third Reich: Arado to Focke-Wulf v. 1
by William Green
Price: 53.71

4.0 out of 5 stars The remaining 2 volumes will not be published?, 21 July 2013
There was a website for ordering these direct from the publisher. I just checked (21July2013) & neither the dotcom or dotco.uk websites are available. So that strongly suggests volumes 2 & 3 have been cancelled. Hope I am wrong as the full set would be really great.

Page: 1 | 2