Profile for Bob Goddard > Reviews

Content by Bob Goddard

Bob Goddard

Page: 1 | 2
KD Organizers 5-Slot Bamboo Cutlery Drawer Organizer: Holds silverware, flatware, utensils, knives, makeup, jewelry, anything! Stylish tray for kitchen, bathroom, desk, vanity and junk drawers.
Offered by Saxeville Market Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a box, 2 May 2016
It's a box. It appears to be well made, of bamboo. You put things in it. If it were bigger you could put more or bigger things in it and it would still go into in my (very small) drawer. So instead of getting another of these for another (bigger) drawer, I got a rather crudely-made wooden expandable version from Argos at half the price and it fits perfectly - and they have the advantage of not pestering me into reviewing the item.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2016 4:23 PM BST

Casio Men's Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Digital Display and Black Resin Strap W-96H-1AVES

2.0 out of 5 stars As my eyesight is now not as good as it used to be, 12 Mar. 2015
I've been using Casio watches ever since the first digital models came onto the market - and that's a long, long time ago! As my eyesight is now not as good as it used to be, I needed to replace my old but still perfectly usable model with something rather easier to read. The W-96H appeared to offer just what I wanted so I ordered one.
When it arrived it seemed to be just what I needed. However, on checking it out I found the alarm function was completely useless - the beeper was so faint I could hardly hear it at all even with the watch pressed against my ear and my hearing aid turned up full blast, which should have nearly blown my head off!!
I returned the watch and received a replacement only to find the new one was exactly the same. Just to make sure they hadn't maybe sent the original one back by mistake or something like that, I paid a visit to my local Argos store to have a look at the ones they'd got there (of the same model). But these turned out to be just the same - and confirmed by their staff, so it's definitely not my hearing aid that's up the creek!
So - I've returned the second one for refund and I'm intending to toddle down to Argos and get myself a Timex.

Result Workguard Gilet Bodywarmer Red Large
Result Workguard Gilet Bodywarmer Red Large
Offered by School Wear United & Ayra® Mens Wear

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty rejects?, 16 Jan. 2015
This bodywarmer is a good idea spoilt by appallingly bad construction. This was not immediately obvious until I found the inside pocket. On unzipping it I was gobsmacked to find that there was in fact no pocket there at all, just a gaping hole into the lining of the garment. This revealed all kinds of bits and pieces of padding/insulating materials just thrown together, and providing a view of the stitching from the back - not a pretty sight. A complete mess!

I cannot believe that the makers meant us to see this, and the only explanation I can think of is that they accidentally managed to make a batch of these garments with the pocket liner missing. Which is no doubt why they then popped up at a reasonable-looking price on Amazon.

I contacted the sellers and told them of the lack of pocket lining. They immediately offered to replace the item and I returned it to them (at my cost). I have now received a replacement, but a quick look told me that it was suffering from the same lack of pocket lining. A peek into the main lining showed a completely different collection of padding materials - i.e. they seem to be just chucking in whatever they've got kicking around.

Conclusion: The item is rubbish and the seller doesn't seem to be interested.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2015 7:04 PM GMT

Tiger Dual Head Music Stand Light with 2x LED
Tiger Dual Head Music Stand Light with 2x LED

4.0 out of 5 stars A super light - but it won't grip my music stand!, 9 Nov. 2013
From just two LEDs this light provides ample illumination for a double spread of A4.

Very impressive. But… it won't grip my heavy-duty music stand. I'm working on it, and experiments so far suggest the use of a wine-bottle cork split lengthways and lots of glue. I think some further research along these lines is called for. Hic!

Zyon PC Desk w/ Keyboard Shelf - Walnut and Silver (PC, Monitor not included)
Zyon PC Desk w/ Keyboard Shelf - Walnut and Silver (PC, Monitor not included)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and nasty, 9 Nov. 2013
This is a decidedly cheap & nasty item!

As others have mentioned some of the screw plugs do not grip. The reason for this is that the plugs are "blind" (i.e. they aren't open at both ends) and they're a tad too short for the screws. Hence, when you try to tighten the screws they jam at the bottom of the plug before the screw head is properly seated. Turning the screw any further will then result in the plug rotating and losing its tenuous grip on the fragile chipboard material.

In my case two of the screws did this, but after re-fitting the plugs with some epoxy adhesive (and leaving for 24 hours to harden thoroughly) it all went together OK with a little bit of persuasion.

But a better solution would have been to drill a hole through the bottom of each plug before assembly; this should allow the screw to burrow a millimetre or two into the chipboard behind the plug.

There are also some signs of small loose patches in the plastic covering material. I strongly suspect these are due to "craters" in the surface of the chipboard underneath. But I'm not about to stick a finger into them to find out for sure!

Altogether the quality is pretty dire, but I'm not too concerned about this myself as I just wanted something cheap and cheerful to park a computer in the spare bedroom for when my daughter visits. And for temporary "testbed" use. I can live with this - but I really shouldn't have to.

FMD Wall-Mounted Cabinet Madrid 4 Approximately 52.5 x 72 x 19 cm Plumtree and White

4.0 out of 5 stars Must not be fixed to partition wall!, 9 Nov. 2013
This is a fairly straightforward flat-pack cabinet of reasonable quality, requiring no more than the usual amount of head-scratching to figure out what the pretty pictures mean.

The only problem is that once you've got it assembled it's quite a heavy lump. This is the point where I read the instructions and found that the cabinet must only be fitted to a solid (load-bearing) wall! This is because the weight of the unit is simply too much for a partition wall (plasterboard etc.). Fortunately in my case the only bit of bare wall available was solid stone - and it was exactly where I wanted to put the cabinet in the first place!

Just two hefty great hooks hold the cabinet on the wall and when you get to this point you can appreciate that there is no way a bit of plasterboard is going to take the resulting leverage.

Apart from that caveat it does what it's meant to do and I've got no problems with it.

Batterycase for Palm - external Batterycharger for Palmone Series Palmone Centro LifeDrive Treo 650 680 700 750 Tungsten E2 5 TX and others...
Offered by Startechnik-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, 9 Nov. 2013
Quite simply, it's a battery box. You charge up your AA batteries at home then pop them into this little gubbins. When you're away from home, instead of carrying a bulky charger and having to find a mains power supply, you just take this pocketable item with you. This enables you to recharge your PDA whenever and wherever you happen to be at the time.

It's sturdily made and should be able to take a fair bashing around. It has an on-off switch and an indicator LED to remind you it's switched on.

While its capacity appears to be rather limited, don't forget that you can take more than one set of fully-charged batteries with you. Or indeed, in an emergency, buy a set of non-rechargeable batteries to preserve your precious data.

I was surprised that this item was available for my old Palm Tungsten E2, which makes it worth a sixth star. But moving on from there I'm equally surprised that it is apparently not available in a universal version. If instead of providing each unit with a fixed lead for just one device, would it not be more useful (and profitable!) to make a universal version fitted with a female USB socket. I could use it to charge my camera, tablet, Kindle etc. - and I would be prepared to pay more for it.

MENS BROWN WATERPROOF BOOTS,HIKING,WALKING,LEATHER
MENS BROWN WATERPROOF BOOTS,HIKING,WALKING,LEATHER
Offered by CLB Retail Shopping
Price: £48.29 - £49.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Super boots!, 9 Nov. 2013
I bought these boots over 6 months ago and have given them a good thrashing through tough terrain around West Yorkshire & the Dales, Lake District & Peak District - none of which are particularly noted for their balmy climate. Despite this my feet have remained completely dry, which is quite an achievement round these parts.

The boots are surprisingly light weight, much lighter than my old Hi-Tech Scarfells (sic), and appear to be well made with no signs of any seams opening up. They are very comfortable and needed no breaking-in. Mind you, I did need to add an extra pair of socks: my fault. I should have taken note of another reviewer's comment that the sizing was true. To put it as plainly as I can - if you wear size 9 shoes you should buy these boots in size 9, not size 10 as most boots require.

The soles/heels are of an unusual pattern and material, a sort of gristly stuff which grips very well and shows very little sign of wear after 300+ miles.

Strangely, the previuous time I bought a pair of North West Territory boots, some 5 year ago, they were complete rubbish. They've certainly pulled their socks up since then (both pairs), and my next pair of boots will definitely be the same again - but in size 9!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 1:37 PM BST

HALOGEN OVEN COOKER THERMOSTAT (1200/1400w)
HALOGEN OVEN COOKER THERMOSTAT (1200/1400w)
Offered by Sourcing4U Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit ALDI halogen oven, 7 Oct. 2013
I knew I was taking a gamble when I ordered this item, but the dimensions appeared to be very similar to my deceased thermostat (burnt-out contact), so I decided to stick my neck out. On receiving the new thermostat it looked as if my gamble was going to pay off. It was VERY similar to my old one - it appeared the only difference was the length of the adjustment spindle, which would be relatively simple to bodge up.

However, having completely dismantled the oven and fitted the new thermostat I found I could only turn the adjuster spindle over a very limited range. It took quite a while to figure out that the flat on the spindle was at 90 degrees from that on the old one. There's not really any way to modify this, but after much thought I figured it should be possible to drill an extra hole in the baseplate of the oven so that I could re-fit the whole thermostat at 90 degrees from the original. However, in practice this didn't work because in its new position it fouled the wiring for the halogen tube above. The original construction of the oven appeared to have been designed by Mickey Mouse in the first place, so there's really no further corners to be cut where electrical safety is concerned. I gave up at this point - and luckily managed to find a much better oven at a cheaper price than the original.

I would strongly advise anyone not to attempt messing about inside a similar halogen oven unless they are thoroughly familiar with working on mains appliances.

DURAGADGET Top-Loader Carry Case with Shoulder Strap for Pentax X5 Bridge Camera (16MP, 26x Wide Angle Optical Zoom) 3 inch Tilt LCD, Pentax 645Z / 645 Z, Pentax K-500, Pentax K-5, Pentax K-50, Pentax K-3 / K3 Silver, Pentax 645D & Leica S2 + BONUS Gift: Cleaning Cloth + Blower Brush
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 7 Oct. 2013
The bag appears to be well made. It's padded all round, so your camera is well protected.

There's plenty of room for my Pentax X-5 along with spare batteries, memory cards and other bits & pieces.

Page: 1 | 2