Profile for L. Cane > Reviews

Content by L. Cane

L. Cane "Lee Hawke" (Devon, UK)

Paint Yourself Calm: Colourful, Creative Mindfulness Through Watercolour
Paint Yourself Calm: Colourful, Creative Mindfulness Through Watercolour
by Jean Haines

4.0 out of 5 stars A Visually Stunning Book, 16 Jun. 2016
This is a visually stunning book. My first thought when I opened my parcel was of the impact of it's gorgeous colour. Inside the beautiful watercolour painting continues. Jean Haines strives to make her reader comfortable with the concept of simply 'playing with colour' and the wonderful examples of abstract painting which fill the beginning of the book help with that - they look so playful and not at all intimidating.

While I understand Haines' need to make her reader comfortable, I do find the intro pages a little repetitive - really trying to drive the point home that anyone can pick up a brush, it could be a fantastic experience, etc. I do love her concept of 'playing with colour', though, it takes a step back from 'Art' with a capital 'A' and introduces an idea that one can simply play and experiment - what better way to learn? Even better, it sounds far more relaxing that launching in with the idea that you'll be creating beautiful masterpieces.

I do love the materials section as well - it's very concise and to the point: you don't need masses of expensive materials and equipment, just two brushes, an old white plate, a clear jar, and three tubes of paint will do. That makes things less intimidating for a beginner. I've read several 'beginners' art books that contain pages and pages of different materials and tools that leave even someone with experience wondering where to begin.

The practical section starts with 'Colour Experiments', getting you used to different techniques, the way the colours flow - the 'playful' part. It's about building up confidence. It flows almost seamlessly into the more complex and less abstract exercises. Again, the art is beautiful yet not intimidating - encouraging the reader to 'give it a go'. The step-by-step instructions are clear and easy to follow. If you have experience in using watercolours and prefer pans to tubes, however, the book does focus solely on using watercolours from tubes which can be very different from pans.

At the end of the book, there's a quick summary about 'painting yourself calm' and positive thinking, and a useful index, and yet more wonderful watercolour paintings. Even just flicking through the pages is a lovely experience. Looking forward to working my way through the book!

Tangle Bay: An Enchanting Colouring Book with Hidden Treasure
Tangle Bay: An Enchanting Colouring Book with Hidden Treasure
by Jessica Palmer
Edition: Flexibound

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, 19 Mar. 2016
Another beautiful colouring book from Jessica Palmer! I loved her first one, Tangle Wood, and couldn't wait to get my hands on this - and it's as good as I'd hoped. She has a wonderful illustration style which has been printed well, the pages are high quality and thick meaning you could use markers or pens as well as pencils (though I prefer pencils myself), and the cover is as beautiful as the pages inside. Looking forward to many enjoyable mindfulness colouring sessions.

Abracadabra Violin: Bk. 1 (Plus Audio CD) (Abracadabra Strings S.)
Abracadabra Violin: Bk. 1 (Plus Audio CD) (Abracadabra Strings S.)
by Peter Davey

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginners, 27 Dec. 2007
I'm a teenager teaching myself to play violin and out of all the books I've tried, this is the best I've found. It gives you help with fingering and bowing, giving you lots of practice for both sides of playing violin. It also gives you 'teacher's parts' so a more experienced violinist can play with you on the songs - these also come in handy later on as you can learn play them yourself! The CD is also handy for the learner to listen to a song before or whilst they play - it's good to know how something is meant to sound - not to mention, the first track is the piano key for 'A' which can help with tuning by ear if you do not own a piano, pitch pipes or tuning fork. Certainly an excellent beginners book.

Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation
Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation
by Silver RavenWolf

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Jun. 2007
I have found this book very helpful in starting in the Craft as well as continuing along the path. Other than magazines and sites, such as Children of Artemis, this has been my only guide. In my eyes it is well-structured and I recommend it to any of you that enjoys a conversation, almost informal, style of writing when reading non-fiction (it is very important to find a guide that speaks to you in a way that you will understand it better). I have found it very easy to use and love the different sections it is set out in (the contents for each section along with the index and footnotes are also great when you're not entirely sure of something either in the text you are reading or another text). Overall, it covers a lot of ground and is a good base for beginners - Silver also gives recommendations of other authors or books on certain subjects, especially on specialist magicks.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book Thief, 27 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Book Thief (Hardcover)
I thoroughly adored and enjoyed this book! It is a real page turner, I am lucky enough to have bought it during my half-term break from college as I was reading late into the night for three days until I had finished it. It is a truly heart wrenching tale about a little girl, Liesel Meminger, and her life during the Nazi reign over Germany, from Death's perspective; who gets all his/her information from a book she wrote when she was fourteen and from his own points of view from when she was ten until she was fourteen. I loved every character, almost equally in some cases, and the plot with it's twists and turns as Death explores and describes Liesel's life from 1939 - 1943. It's everything I could have hoped for from the book when I picked it up and more.

Northern Lights (His Dark Materials 10th Anniversary Edition)
Northern Lights (His Dark Materials 10th Anniversary Edition)
by Philip Pullman

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 2 Feb. 2007
I love this book. I love the two books that come afterwards! When I first read this book, I was about eleven or twelve and only just past the starting point of really getting into reading novels. Pullman is an absolute genius. It kept me hooked from start to finish and when I'd finished Northern Lights, I couldn't wait to read what was going to happen next in Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass! For those who adore fantasy novels and Milton (the poet) as I do, will love this book because the trilogy and its theories are based around Milton's Paradise Lost, for example the dust (hence the quote at the beginning of Northern Lights, before the contents, which no doubt a lot of people have skipped. It is where the title of the trilogy comes from). Pure brilliance! Both my English Lecturer and I agree.

AS Chemistry (Advanced Chemistry Series)
AS Chemistry (Advanced Chemistry Series)
by Andrew Hunt

1.0 out of 5 stars Not especially helpful for AQA Exams., 30 Jan. 2007
This is not a great AS Level Chemistry book. Yes, it provides you with some useful background info when you are studying at the start of AS Chemistry after taking GCSE but for revision and actual study, it can only be described as almost useless for the important and less basic of facts/equations/etc. It merely fills the gap of your Summer Holidays before college/sixth form.

Monty Python's And Now For Something Completely Different [1971] [DVD] [2003]
Monty Python's And Now For Something Completely Different [1971] [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ John Cleese
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love and love it again!, 17 Oct. 2006
As it practically states above, I'm a big fan of 'And Now For Something Completely Different'. It's absolutely brilliant! Most people I know who have watched it have probably watched it time and time again afterwards. If you're a fan of comedy, this is definitely for you. My theatre group are in particular very partial to it as we're all a very energetic, highly comedic group. I especially love the 'Lumberjack Song', the 'Parrot Sketch' and the cartoons between the sketches. Genius.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (Special Edition) [1994] [DVD]
The Nightmare Before Christmas (Special Edition) [1994] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Danny Elfman

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Masterpiece from Burton, 16 Oct. 2006
I've loved this film since I was six! Ten years on, I know every word, every song off by heart! I love the characters and the plot; especially Lock, Shock and Barrell! I would recommend this to absolutely everyone I know as everyone I know is into the weird and wonderful. That is exactly what makes a Burton film, afterall; weirdness and wonder.

Muddle Earth
Muddle Earth
by Paul Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular!, 15 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Muddle Earth (Paperback)
This is an absolutely amazing book! Stewart novel. And, as always, Chris Riddell's illustrations are brilliant. The two put together never fail to amaze and delight a reader!