Profile for P Shelley > Reviews

P Shelley

The Opinionated Knitter
The Opinionated Knitter
by Elizabeth Zimmermann

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' for every dedicated and creative knitter., 6 Nov 2013
I ordered this book not knowing anything about Elizabeth Zimmermann and how she has revolutionised knitting in the US. I really wanted it for one of her patterns, the baby surprise jacket. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it not only tells of her life, an interesting one by all accounts, but has many of her original designs. Also, it gives the knitter a formula for calculating the number of stitches and size of needles that even I can understand and use to create jumpers in whatever yarn You choose. The book was quite pricey however it is a useful addition to my collection of knitting books of which many just give patterns. She talks you through the work in a friendly, chatty style that makes you think that your mother is right by your side giving advice. It may be an old book but it's still very usable and helpful today.

Under Your Skin
Under Your Skin
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars a captivating plot!, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Under Your Skin (Kindle Edition)
This book draws you in from the first page. It is difficult to put down because the plot unfolds gradually but seductively throughout. It is very cleverly written. Anyone who enjoys a crime thriller or psychological thriller will like this book.

Raven Black (Shetland)
Raven Black (Shetland)
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing read., 28 April 2013
I absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down! Ann cleaves has completely hooked me with her haunting stories based in the Shetlands. I want more please!

Knitted Cats & Kittens
Knitted Cats & Kittens
by Sue Stratford
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Patterns need checking for errors., 28 April 2013
This review is from: Knitted Cats & Kittens (Hardcover)
I love the patterns, however I found many mistakes which caused a few headaches! I would have thought that anyone who has gone to the trouble of writing a knitting book would ensure that the patterns were checked before publishing. I managed to correct the errors, but that is only because I'm an experienced knitter! The finished items are delightful, but incorrect patterns are, in my opinion, inexcusable.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2013 7:16 PM BST

Working Memory and Learning: A Practical Guide for Teachers
Working Memory and Learning: A Practical Guide for Teachers
by Susan Gathercole
Price: 21.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all primary teachers!, 25 Mar 2012
This is an excellent book and has been of great help to me in my work with children who have learning difficulties. I have always known about the working memory and it's importance in learning but the research which has prompted this book to be written, clearly identifies what impact there is in all cases. In addition, it provides clear strategies for identifying and supporting these children in the classroom. Each chapter is summarised in bullet points which I found very helpful. I would recommend this book to all primary school teachers and teaching assistants!