Profile for S. Maxwell > Reviews

Content by S. Maxwell

S. Maxwell "Sam Maxwell" (Newark England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing
The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing
by Richard Dawkins
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 6+ stars, 13 Dec 2008
This is one of the few books I feel that the star rating system fails. 5 stars is simply not enough!
So enjoyable and thought provoking. It has made me want to revisit the works of authors I already knew, but they'll have to wait until I have read those authors that are new to me!
I, like a previous reviewer, noted the lack of women writers represented, but when I looked at my bookshelves there was only Olivia Judson that stood out as fitting into the area of the books' remit.I wonder if the lack of females in the authors represented is only a reflection of the dearth of female "populising" science authors.
That little caveat aside, it is a wonderful book and an excellent addition to anyones bookshelves.

Last of the Puffermen
Last of the Puffermen
by Keith McGinn
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 16 Oct 2008
This review is from: Last of the Puffermen (Paperback)
An excellent account of a now vanished, and very hard, way of life.
The author, while not totally dispassionate, gives a fair account of what must have been a very tough life. Despite that toughness he obviously enjoyed the life and the people that it brought him into contact with.
I suppose I ought to mention Para Handy in connection with this book. I love the Para Handy tales but this book is alredy higher in my estimation than those. It is that good.

Ancient Rome on Five Denarii a Day: A Guide to Sightseeing, Shopping and Survival in the City of the Caesars
by Philip Matyszak
Price: 10.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 31 July 2008
This is a gem of a book! Witty, engrossing and erudite (It taught me more of the geography of ancient Rome than any other "general" overview I have read.
The author has managed to blend all the various changes from the early republic to late empire into one coherent overview of life in Rome. Simply a must buy book.

A History of Histories: Epics, Chronicles, Romances and Inquiries from Herodotus and Thucydides to the Twentieth Century
by John Burrow

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 19 May 2008
I was going to write more than just "excellent" but the previous review seems to cover all the points I wanted to make (and more!).
Just to say that as a person reading history for pleasure I found the book excellent and it has already led me to re-read some of the works mentioned.

Totally Steaming: A Year on HMS Fearless
Totally Steaming: A Year on HMS Fearless
by Damon Hammond

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 4 Nov 2007
I have just finished reading this book and it is a fantastic read, from laugh out loud funny to relective pieces that make one think...
I am sure that if you have served on Fearless or Intrepid the book is even funnier and that there are many nuances that a general reader would miss.
However, as someone whose only connection with the R.N. is that my dad was a volunteer in the 2nd world war, I recommend it to all who are interested in the navy, and assure you that there is enough to make the general reader glad they bought the book.

Counting My Chickens ... And Other Home Thoughts
Counting My Chickens ... And Other Home Thoughts
by Deborah Devonshire

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem!, 11 Oct 2007
I picked this book up on a whim and couldn't put it down! It had me laughing out loud at times. It's worth the price of the book just for her two lines about her new T.V.
The authoress is witty, charming, opinionated (and I certainly don't agree with all of her views (for example I love sparrowhawks and hate the cult around Elvis)) but above all I found her adorable.
A lovely gem of a book.

J. Robert Oppenheimer: A Life
J. Robert Oppenheimer: A Life
by the late Abraham Pais
Price: 16.56

2.0 out of 5 stars a disappointment, 30 Aug 2007
As noted by another reviewer, this work is seriously disjointed and it is very hard to read.
In his other biographies (which are brilliant!) Pais had an affinity towards his subjects (going so far as to admit that he loved Bohr). He obviously was ambivalent about Robert at the best of times. I wonder if this, as well as the fact the book was pieced together after his death, is one of the reasons the book compares so poorly with his other work.

The Quantum Universe
The Quantum Universe
by Tony Hey

5.0 out of 5 stars It did it for me., 1 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Quantum Universe (Paperback)
I did science at school but lost interest after leaving. Then (8 years ago)I read this book. I am now studying sciences at degree level. It is THAT good!

There Are Two Errors in the the Title of This Book*
There Are Two Errors in the the Title of This Book*
by Robert M. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars philosophy newbie, 14 Jan 2007
I am just begining to read more about philosophy and have read some excellent histories of the subject and good analyses of various philosophers thoughts.

This book however is the best I have read yet.

Philosophy by doing!

Think for yourself!

I have found it an exciting and challenging read.

It equips one to look at the world and see where the flaws are in the reasoning used by many, from governments to individuals, to explain their views/actions. It also makes you think about your own views and reasonings.

A must read book.

The Dream of Reason - a History of Philosophy from the Greeks to the Renaissance
by Anthony Gottlieb

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream!, 9 Sep 2006
Truly a wonderful book, an accessible,witty and thorough overview of the history of western philosophy. You don't need any previous knowledge to enjoy this book. If ,like me, you have picked up little bits of knowledge but in a disconnected way, this book places them all in context. It also may change your views on some things and certainly will make you think about your own viewpoint!

I must add that it reads so well, that you read it for fun as well as knowledge.

An excellent book!