Profile for C. A. Godfrey > Reviews

The Dying Earth
The Dying Earth
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 May 2014
This review is from: The Dying Earth (Kindle Edition)
This is a timeless and masterful piece of science fiction. I could not put it down, and found each of the stories utterly fascinating. Part fable, part fairy tale, this book will both horrify and enthral you!

Conversations with Spirits
Conversations with Spirits
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Natural Talent, 15 May 2014
In this stunning debut, the reader is transported back to the time of the Great War, as we follow Trelawney Hart on his reluctant quest to investigate fantastical claims of the paranormal.

While significant chapters of the book are devoted to expertly drawn comedic farce and razor-sharp dialogue, it would be remiss of this reviewer to not comment on the excellent character study that is central to the story.

For between the slapstick hilarity of pointlessly scaled rooftops in the rain, and none-too-subtle allusions to Withnail & I, there lies a deeply affecting account of how the harrowing impact of loss can cause a person to isolate themselves emotionally from the world.

Numerous psychic demonstrations and tricks are laid out, dissected and ridiculed, but even the most cynical materialist must ultimately concede before the redemptive powers of friendship and trust.

Uplift: The Complete Original Trilogy (Uplift Omnibus Book 1)
Uplift: The Complete Original Trilogy (Uplift Omnibus Book 1)
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 10 April 2014
This is an amazing book, I'm sorry to have reached the end. Truly inventive and with brilliant characterisation and a gripping plot.

ClevaSafe Blind Cord Safe Winders
ClevaSafe Blind Cord Safe Winders
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 15 Feb 2014
These came with no instructions, and when I did finally figure out how to fit them I soon discovered that they are not strong enough to support normal use. As soon as I pulled hard enough to open or close the blinds, they sprang apart, leaving a tangled mess of cord to sort out. They are made of a flimsy plastic and not really up the task.

Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body (The Build Healthy Muscle Series)
by Michael Matthews
Price: 5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete manual for strength & fitness!, 19 July 2013
I stumbled across Mike's book a few weeks ago, having spent the last year gradually losing weight while doing a modified version of a popular strength training program. As I'm now almost at the stage where it's time to start eating more, rather than less, I thought I have a look around to see if I could find a more up-to-date and complete book that includes sensible information on diet as well as a compound lift weights routine.

Bigger Leaner Stronger is that book. The first third or so is spent breaking down health and nutrition terminology, which seems strange at first but actually makes perfect sense so that all readers can fully understand what is meant by "a calorie" etc. The diet & workout programs are sensibly worked out, and while there isn't much that experienced fitness types will find radical, the beauty of the book is that everything is clearly laid out and analysed objectively. This is a guy that really has tried it all, he knows what works, and he's managed to write it in a way that is clearly laid out and easy to follow.

Furthermore, Mike engages brilliantly with his readers. We have had some great dialog over the past few weeks - he's happy to answer questions and is clearly passionate about what he does.

I first bought BLS on my Kindle, then realised a hardcopy would be good to have around in the gym too. My wife took an interest so I got her the girl's version - Thinner Leaner Stronger!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2013 8:15 PM BST

Nexus
Nexus
Price: 3.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Forward-thinking cyberpunk, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's got it all, crazy almost-possible technology, deep characters, tense and rapid action sequeuences. If you like cyberpunk fiction and discourse on the possibilities and risks of a post-human world, you can't go wrong here.

BaByliss 7545U Easy Cut V2 Hair Clipper and Trimmer for Men
BaByliss 7545U Easy Cut V2 Hair Clipper and Trimmer for Men
Price: 29.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 26 Dec 2012
This is junk, a complete waste of money. Doesn't cut your hair properly and hurts to use.

You're better off using standard clippers and checking as you go with your other hand.

Venus No. 17
Venus No. 17
Price: 2.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Venus No. 17 (MP3 Download)
I had the good fortune to see Tundra 4 performed live by Squarepusher a few years ago and the experience has stayed with me ever since - it was one of the most impressive audio/visual sets I've ever seen. This EP is worth it for that one tune alone!

Transition
Transition
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, but good., 12 Dec 2011
This review is from: Transition (Kindle Edition)
I'm a huge fan of the Culture series but this was a refreshing change of direction. Had me thinking for a long time!

Mirror's Edge (PS3)
Mirror's Edge (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 16.44

4.0 out of 5 stars I find your lack of Faith disturbing..., 29 Jan 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mirror's Edge (PS3) (Video Game)
From the moment I saw the beautiful trailer I was convinced this game would be awesome and and I was not disappointed.

If you're the kind of gamer that can't handle not being able to get through each level on the first try, then this one isn't for you. I enjoyed the steep learning curve, as completing the sometimes infuriating objectives made viewing the brilliantly animated cut scenes all the more worthwhile.

A multiplayer element or the ability to freely explore the city would have got this game 5 stars from me. However, the style and substance of this excellent (if somewhat short game) are clearly enough to merit 4 stars, and I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel.

Page: 1 | 2