Profile for Cadalist > Reviews

Cadalist (UK)

Woodworm Golf Premium Double Canopy Golf Umbrella 3 Pack
Woodworm Golf Premium Double Canopy Golf Umbrella 3 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Brollies, 29 April 2012
I have purchased quite a few large umbrellas from various manufacturers/stockists over the years, and most have been absolute rubbish, lasting no time at all. Broken mechanisms, broken stays, canopy turned inside out, failed stitching, you name it.

I bought this set of three umbrellas based mostly on other customer's feedback and so far I am not disappointed. They seem sturdy, well made and effective. Delivery was also very prompt.

I've only used one of the umbrellas so far (there was plenty of opportunity this sodden weekend!) and it has performed well. I like the automatic opening and vented canopy. Time will tell if they will last, but first impressions are very good.

At the price these umbrellas are a bargain and well worth a 5-Star rating.

Edited: 29 April 2012, 17:56

Having looked again at the quality of these umbrellas, I have just ordered another three. That's one each for the family, and two spares.

Magoo Cosmic Butterfly Magnetic Car Tax Disc Holder
Magoo Cosmic Butterfly Magnetic Car Tax Disc Holder

2.0 out of 5 stars Possible Flawed Design, 29 April 2012
I recently purchased and reviewed the Magoo Purple Butterflies Magnetic Tax Disc Holder. This was my review:

"I've been using a Magnetax magnetic tax disc holder for several years and it has been just fine. I decided to buy another one for my wife's new car. I wish I had! Unfortunately, I saw this pretty Magoo magnetic tax disc holder and decided to buy it instead. It claimed to be a more robust product, and it is. The problem is that the hole for the tax disc is smaller than the diameter of the tax disc itself, so the tax disc doesn't fit inside the adhesive magnetic ring.

It seems that this is deliberate because the fitting instructions tell you to "Line up the tax disc so that the perforations are hidden from view." This means that the tax disc has to sit concentrically on top of the magnetic ring with an overlap of about 1.5mm all round, rather than fitting snugly inside the magnetic ring like the Magnetax tax disc holder. Well, you try lining the bl**dy tax disc up and fitting the cover without it moving off centre, especially on a steeply raked windscreen that is hard to reach. You could spend the rest of your life fiddling around with it. And anyway, who the hell cares if you can see the perforations around the tax disc?

This is a nice product ruined by a misguided attempt to make it look a bit more classy by hiding the perforations. At £6.99, it also cost 370% more than the Magnetax magnetic tax disc holder I originally intended to buy off eBay!

Comment added 14 April 2012:

The answer to the tax disc alignment challenge is to lightly spray the back of the tax disc with 3M Spray Mount (Repositional Adhesive) and then carefully stick the tax disc centrally onto the internal face of the Magoo tax disc holder cover. Then, offer up the cover complete (with the tax disc attached) to the magnetic ring. Hey presto, perfect alignment *AND* the value of your car is enhanced because nobody can see your little perforations! It's a lot of unnecessary faffing around though."

Rather interestingly, within a couple of days the Butterflies Magnetic Tax Disc Holder became 'Currently unavailable', which meant that the item, along with my review, was not longer found by an Amazon search. Coincidence, or a cynical move to stop anyone reading my negative review - I wonder.

Let's see how long this Cosmic Butterfly Magnetic Fabric Tax Disc Holder remains in stock! As this tax disc is from the same stable, it probably has the same issues. Otherwise I was really unfortunate with my choice.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2012 2:49 PM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Design, 14 April 2012

Comment added 14 April 2012:

The answer to the tax disc alignment challenge is to lightly spray the back of the tax disc with 3M Spray Mount (Repositional Adhesive) and then carefully stick the tax disc centrally onto the internal face of the Magoo tax disc holder cover. Then, offer up the cover complete with the tax disc attached to the magnetic ring. Hey presto, perfect alignment *AND* the value of your car is enhanced because nobody can see your little perforations! It's a lot of unnecessary faffing around though.

Magoo Purple Butterflies Magnetic Tax Disc Holder
Magoo Purple Butterflies Magnetic Tax Disc Holder

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Design, 12 April 2012

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2012 3:36 PM BST

Logitech MX400 Performance Laser Mouse
Logitech MX400 Performance Laser Mouse

2.0 out of 5 stars Logitech MX400 Laser Mouse - Unfit For Purpose?, 28 Sept. 2007
Based on the reviews of others, I purchased a Logitech MX400 laser mouse. I have owned it for less than 48 hours and am now about to return it as 'unfit for purpose'.

Generally the MX400 mouse is an excellent design, but for my particular application it has one serious defect.

I prefer to configure the roller-wheel button (middle button) as 'double-click', but unfortunately on the Logitech MX400 mouse this feature is impossible to use successfully. All of the buttons on the MX400 mouse, with the notable exception of the roller-wheel button, have a superior, light, tactile feel. In stark contrast, the roller-wheel button has an unpleasant, heavy, long throw.

I am used to using the roller-wheel button configured as 'double-click' to quickly select and open folders and files in dialog boxes, without having to use 'pick' followed by 'open' or to do a 'double-click' with button 1. Because the roller-wheel button has such a long, heavy throw, the more sensitive 'left/right scroll' function of the roller-wheel always intervenes and moves the cursor focus, so that when the 'double-click' function does eventually operate, the wrong folder or file is selected and opened.

I spent a long time trying to persuade the roller-wheel button to 'double-click' my selected file, and every time the 'left/right scroll' function moved the cursor focus and highlighted a different file before the 'double-click' activated. The roller-wheel button 'double click' function will work OK on something like a desktop icon (where 'left/right scroll' has no effect), but it's still a horrid, heavy switching action.

I spoke to Logitech Technical at some length and they basically admitted that this was a problem. They suggested two solutions - disable the 'left/right scroll' function (i.e. inhibit some functions so that another can work as intended!), or return the mouse to the supplier as 'unfit for purpose'. I have chosen the latter.

Of course, if you don't intend to use the roller-wheel button function for anything, then the Logitech MX400 mouse would be a good choice, as the other buttons and features work well.

Previously I have been using a Logitech 4-Button MouseMan Optical Dual Sensor, Model M-BL63B, which has performed faultlessly. Admittedly this optical mouse doesn't have the 'left/right scroll' feature, but the roller-wheel button is very light and tactile, as it should be. The roller-wheel button works just fine in 'double-click' mode. I would be very happy to buy another Logitech Optical Dual Sensor mouse, but they are not manufactured any more and I can't find one for sale anywhere.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2008 1:30 AM GMT