Profile for nutsie81 > Reviews

The Assault
The Assault
by Claire White

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 11 Jan 2004
This review is from: The Assault (Paperback)
This book is an excellent, stimulating read - I highly recommend it.

The Very Best Of MTV Unplugged 2
The Very Best Of MTV Unplugged 2
Offered by TwoRedSevens

4.0 out of 5 stars A little hit and miss, 11 Jan 2004
I got this in the Amazon sale. It was definitely and completely worth it - in fact, probably the Eric Clapton acoustic was worth the money all on it's own. This is a diverse range of music and because of this not every track is to my taste and I guess that will be the same for everyone. Considering the price I paid I think I got a bargain even if there are some tracks I have to skip over immediately!

A Sea of Words: Lexicon and Companion for Patrick O'Brian's Seafaring Tales
A Sea of Words: Lexicon and Companion for Patrick O'Brian's Seafaring Tales
by Dean King

5.0 out of 5 stars Lobscouse and Spotted Dog, 11 Jan 2004
I have only read one of the Patrick O'Brian novels but am surrounded by obsessive fans of his. I really enjoyed the book I read and found that the words I didn't know in his book were explained to the full here. BUT it doesn't stop there. This is actually a great coffee table book as its easy to pick up, dive in, read a couple of pages and find some fascinating word and meaning you just have to share with those around you. You should also look at the other accompanying Patrick O'Brian book which is a cookbook and is entitled Lobscouse and Spotted Dog.

Intermediate Microeconomics: A Modern Approach
Intermediate Microeconomics: A Modern Approach
by Hal R. Varian

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 11 Jan 2004
This is an excellent book for 1st year undergraduates of Economics. However, 2nd and 3rd year degree students should really be reading Varians "Microeconomic Analysis" or Gravelles and Rees' "Microeconomics"(although the mathematic notation is a little archaic). My University recommended this book only for first years - it was considered too simplistic for Finals.

Two in One Woodturning
Two in One Woodturning
by Phil Irons
Edition: Spiral-bound

3.0 out of 5 stars Woodturning Gimmickry, 11 Jan 2004
I am a novice woodturner and took this book out of the Library. I have two problems with this book. Firstly it's layout - it is mounted on a ringbinder system which means the pages are annoyingly loose. Secondly, take a step back and realise what a gimmick this is - it's not two books in one - it's one introductory book split illogically in half- most introductory books take you through step by step with all the relevant information in one section, - with this book you look at a project on the top and then have to flick through the bottom bits to get to all the relevant techniques that project requires. It's a waste of time and can you imagine how annoying you'd find it if you just wanted to briefly check something when you were working on the lathe? Woodturning books should make you go straight to your lathe: this one made me go straight back to the Library. Having got that rant off my chest the content is good and if you can cope with the set out there is some really useful stuff in here.