Profile for M. Le Breton > Reviews

Content by M. Le Breton

M. Le Breton "Michelle" (UK)

Chinese On the Move (3CDs + Guide): The Lively Audio Language Program for Busy People
by Jane Wightwick
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars I now know some Chinese, 12 Aug 2009
This is an okay product, which has helped me to learn some Chinese so far (I'm on the second module), but I have found a couple of annoying things. Firstly, the English lady is really annoying, with a couple of choice quotes being "A dog called Motzart? Hope he likes music!", which is irritating when you have repeated the track a few times to try and get a grips of the language.

The second thing that irritates me is her suggestions for how long it should take you. I'm not sure if I'm not good at languages, but she says things like "It's a good idea to repeat this module 2 or 3 times to really get to grips with it". I have tended to have to repeat all the tracks about 10 times to try and pick up the majority of the language they use.

Other than that, it is quite good, and has achieved its goal of teaching me a spattering of Mandarin. It isn't that comprehensive, but for £5, it isn't bad!

The Samurai and the Sacred: The Path of the Warrior (General Military)
The Samurai and the Sacred: The Path of the Warrior (General Military)
by Stephen Turnbull

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, fascinating book, 6 Aug 2009
I purchased this as part of an elective I did which was taught by the author himself, and, unlike most of my course books, this is one that I would never sell. Not only is it a beautiful book, it contains a wealth of fascinating information on Japan's religious history, and more modern religious attitudes. I love this book, and would happily recommend it to anyone!

Meeting Mr Kim: How I Went to Korea and Learned to Love Kimchi: Or How I Went to Korea and Learned to Love Kimchi
by Jennifer Barclay

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!, 6 Aug 2009
This is one of the first books I have read about South Korea since deciding to go there in a couple of years time. It was a wonderful account by someone who had obviously gone there with a brilliant attitude. Her story is an awesome one, that is really well written and draws you into her world at the time, while teaching you a lot about common pit falls foreigners come across in Korea. This is a book I would recommend for a great read, especially if you are interested in learning more about this country and its attitudes and traditions. I read it in just 3 days, couldn't put it down!