ARRAY(0xafdef33c)

Profile for gbug > Reviews

Content by gbug

gbug

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS)
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 10.25

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like tactical turn based games, get this., 20 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I usually have no interest in the Ghost Recon brand and am especially wary of Ubisoft launch titles, but after I heard this will be a tactical turn based game headed by Julian Gollop (of X-Com fame) I kept my eyes on it. When amazon.co.uk ran the pre-order offer of getting a 3DS with this game at a reduced price, I took the leap of faith and ordered, even though there was a review embargo in place and I had no idea yet if the game was worth playing or not.

Now over 30 hours of gameplay later, I can definitely say that I do not regret my decision. I'm still not done with the campaign mode and after that there is still the skirmish missions I've unlocked along the way. There is also offline multiplayer missions to be played on one 3DS via hot-seat mode.

Since I want to keep this short, I'm not going to write about story, graphics and gameplay and such. Read an in-depth review for that. However, if you do like turn based strategy games like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics A2, I highly expect that you will enjoy this game as well. It has its own style of gameplay and definitely plays like a game that can stand next to the greats and not just fill the time until a new iteration of those comes along.
Just keep your expectations regarding difficulty in check, as I'm playing it on the hardest of the three and it feels just somewhat too easy now and then.

It definitely gets 5 stars for fun and being addictive, but things like the lack of online multiplayer and some small issues that could be improved here and there in a sequel make me give it 4 stars overall. Still, you wouldn't want to miss out on this game unless you can't stand turn based games at all.