Profile for Richard H > Reviews

Jeremy Clarkson: The Biography
by Gwen Russell
Price: 6.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage. What little I read was utter trash., 22 Aug 2014
While I love Clarkson I hated this book. Ms. Russell has thrown together a cold porridge of Wikipedia entries, gossip and newspaper cuttings. I'd be astonished if she had ever met the man. It's all third-party "she said" and "he said" quotes, never "he said to me". What a disappointment - glad I didn't buy it. Thank goodness for libraries. 1 star merely because I couldn't give it zero.

The Stig: The Untold Story
The Stig: The Untold Story
by Simon du Beaumarche
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Gently humorous., 17 Aug 2014
If you're looking for a reasonably amusing diversion of a book peppered with nuggets of laugh out loud, disingenuous asides and tongue in cheek suppositions about the Stig then this is for you. If, however, you happen to be a humour vacuum who exercises by doing sit-ups under parked cars then avoid. This is not, and never was intended to be, a fact-based expose of the Stig's identity, background or motivations. If you are familiar with Top Gear will have understood this from the start. Anyone who thought this was a true to life biography about the programme's 'tame racing driver', please get in touch - I have some beach-front property on the dark side of the Moon you may be interested in. All-in-all, a fun read guaranteed to raise a smile if you 'get' the underlying ethos of Top Gear i.e. anarchic, informative and fun all at the same time. Also, advice to those who gave this 1 star, do NOT buy Private Eye magazine, it will only confuse you further.

Poseidon's Arrow: Dirk Pitt #22
Poseidon's Arrow: Dirk Pitt #22
by Clive Cussler
Price: 3.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Cut and paste storytelling - but entertaining all the same., 13 Aug 2014
I have read all of CC's books and have experienced a decline in my enjoyment of his output - namely they are becoming formulaic. By this I mean you know, you just KNOW, that when a chapter begins with Pitt (Snr. or Jnr.) on a boat/ship spotting another innocent looking vessel bobbing about nearby it is just full to the gunwales of people wanting to kill them and Pitt will end up locked in a hold with other hapless victims while the ship is scuttled. In the same vein, if either father or son takes one of Pitt Snr's classic cars out of the hanger for an innocuous sojourn around Washington it is going to need somewhat more than a simple respray after hostile pursuers have riddled it with gunfire (how much does Pitt Snr pay in insurance premiums?). Also, with particular respect to his recent books, Clive has stepped off the reality reservation by going too far down (to my mind) the 'willing suspension of disbelief' route. Take chapter 30 (groan), where CC imitates Ian Flemming by having a helicopter landing pad hidden by moving geography and a villain's luxury villa you get to on golf trolleys. That said, I really admire his story telling and his research. He is obviously very well read in all things nautical but I miss the realism of his earlier works.

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
by Christopher Hitchens
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening, 9 Mar 2014
I am atheist and this is a brilliant book. I would urge believers to read this and reconsider. If, afterwards, you still have your faith then you are a true believer in a higher power. Just give it a read.

The Long Road Home: One Step at a Time (Doonesbury Books (Andrews & McMeel))
The Long Road Home: One Step at a Time (Doonesbury Books (Andrews & McMeel))
by G.B. Trudeau
Price: 6.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection, 9 Mar 2014
If you are a Doonesbury fan then this is a must have to review B.D.'s recovery from his injuries from Afghanistan. Quite inspiring.

Samsung E1200 Sim Free Phone (Black)
Samsung E1200 Sim Free Phone (Black)
Offered by Prepaymania
Price: 12.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. Simple but great., 9 Mar 2014
Simply brilliant. In fact - just simple. I was looking for a mobile that allowed me to make and take calls and send receive texts. No camera, no music just the ability to talk/text someone else without worrying about the battery running out every 6 hours. Recommended.

Star Trek VIII: First Contact [DVD]
Star Trek VIII: First Contact [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart
Price: 4.20

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 9 Dec 2013
I have watched most, if not all, of the Star Trek franchise movies. Some were dire and some excellent. Which ones you enjoy and which you do not is all down to personal taste, expectation and past enjoyment (or otherwise) of the other films. This, however, has to be my favorite. It has style, history and humour. This is, to my mind, the best of the films, beating even Wrath of Khan which I did not think possible. I like the way it fills in the gaps such as where warp drive was first developed, Human/Vulcan contact, and also the part played by the Borg in kickstarting the faster-than-light speed technology of mankind. All in all, a very pleasant 106 minutes.

The Kennedy Tapes. Inside the White House During the Cuban Missile Crisis
The Kennedy Tapes. Inside the White House During the Cuban Missile Crisis
by R. May

5.0 out of 5 stars You want first hand insight? Read this!, 9 Dec 2013
Wandering around Waterstones one day I came across this book. I have always been interested in the events of the Cuban Missile Crisis and those 14 days in the latter half of October 1962. Being born in 1962 I have often asked my father what he remembers of that time and he says he can't remember so I bought this book with the purpose of understanding just how close we came to nuclear war. I found the book fascinating (hence the five stars) but at times a little hard going due to the format i.e. transcripts of recorded conversations of the EXCOMM meetings. What I mean by that is it is far more difficult to follow faithfully transcribed speech that includes pauses, interruptions, changes of direction etc. than to read a sterile and edited version of what was said. This book details what was actually said by the major players, without any changes at all, during one of the most tense periods of modern history. Just thank God that cool heads prevailed.

Who's Afraid Of Beowulf?
Who's Afraid Of Beowulf?
by Tom Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply his best, 5 Nov 2012
I have read most of the books written by Tom Holt and I would say this is his best. Like all his books you have to have an ability to willingly suspend disbelief - but it's well worth it. The characters are delightful, the humour is gentle and consistent, and although I have read this book five times, I'm still downcast to finish it. There are some brilliant set pieces and the equanimity with which the 1,200 year old Norse heros face the modern world is a piece of novel writing genius. If you want a book that won't tax you yet put a smile on your face this is it.

The Colour Of Magic [DVD] [2008]
The Colour Of Magic [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ David Jason
Price: 12.36

2.0 out of 5 stars If you have read the book give it a miss, otherwise......, 17 Aug 2012
I honestly looked forward to watching this. Especially after enjoying "The Hogfather" so much but what a disappointment! The script is good, fairly faithful to the book but the casting was awful. Who thought David Jason (whom I admire as an actor) would be good as Rincewind needs their head examined, or at least given a copy of the book to read. He was brilliant as Albert in Hogfather but totally miscast as Rincewind as I believe Rincewind should have been younger considering all the running he does in subsequent books - Nigel Planer (King of Krull in this film) would have been better. And why Nigel Havers chose/was directed to play the Patrician as a rather fey character rather than the ruthless, cut to the quick character he is in the books is beyond comprehension. Yes it is a (fairly) faithfull reproduction of the book but the casting was not good and I found it irritating while I watched it. Not a good experience in all. And why is Twoflower AMERICAN!?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5