30 of 32 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
Yumyyyyy, 18 Nov 2009
I got the book for my birthday after reading the 5 stars reviews and all the comments sounded positive I put it on my birthday wish list. This book lives up to the hype, I made the vanilla cupcakes and yes has other reviewers have mentioned they do require more effort then traditional cupcakes, but do not be put off by that they are simply delicious and worth the extra time, the only problem is I had to add a extra 5-10 mins of cooking time to each bath of cakes to ensure the cakes were cooked through, this may depend on type oven you are using. You have the option of making muffin or cupcake sized cakes I chose muffin but they were more filling once I added the Delicious butter-icing, so next time I will make smaller ones. Couple of reviewers have mentioned the large amount of icing used in the butter icing yes it is alot but i tend to half the butter icing recipe so only use 250g instead of 500g icing mentioned, plus these are intended has treat and you are spreading the cing between 12 muffin cupcakes or 36 mini cakes.
1) Invest in a electric mixer will make light work of mixing the mixture.
2) When putting the butter icing on be careful how much you spread on the top otherwise like me you will end up with a 1cm thick layer of icing on top.
3) Don't make same mistake has me and buy quality vanilla extract which has tiny bits of vanilla seed in so you end up with tiny tiny dots of black in your cakes.
4) Buy quality vanilla extract not that cheap one in a bottle for 59p, has it won't add that sweet vanilla taste.
5) You may need to leave your cakes in oven for little longer if they are not golden brown, and make sure when you gently press the top of cake that pop back up if not leave a little longer in the oven.