Profile for Pim > Reviews

The Breadmachine Bible
The Breadmachine Bible
by Anne Sheasby

5.0 out of 5 stars The recipes really work, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Breadmachine Bible (Paperback)
I live in Texas where, all too often, bread tends to be sweet (yuk!) so I wanted a book with tasty British-style recipes. Every recipe I've made from this book has been a success. The measurements are given to suit all styles (grams, ounces, cups), as are the oven temperatures (C, F, gas mark).

I've made all of the following, and can recommend them all:
-Home-style Wholemeal Bread (my husband's current favourite for toasting)
-French Bread
-Dinner Rolls
-Floury White Baps
-Scottish Baps (the absolute best things to pair with home-made burgers, also wonderful for bacon butties)
-Pitta Breads
-pizza dough from the Pancetta, Pepper & Olive Pizzas recipe
-Naan Breads
-Pesto Parmesan Pull-Apart

There are still many recipes I'm interested in trying (Garden Herb Bread; Sun-Dried Tomato Bread; Greek Black Olive Bread; Cheese & Olive Bread; Rosemary Ciabatta rolls and more), so this is one book that has well been worth the price.

This book covers pretty much all your breadmaking needs, including ten gluten-free recipes.

I also own Beth Hensperger's book The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favourite Recipes for Perfect Every Time Bread - from Every Kind of Machine (Non) and I have to say that I don't use it as much as I use this one.

Perhaps the biggest compliment I can give this book is that several of my friends have been inspired to buy a bread machine based on tasting the recipes that came out of it (no amount of praise can do the Scottish Baps justice).

Cake Pops
Cake Pops
by Angie Dudley
Edition: Hardcover-spiral

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book full of ultra-cute ideas for sweet treats, 10 Oct 2010
This review is from: Cake Pops (Hardcover-spiral)
If you like cake balls, then you probably don't need to be told to buy this book. Bakerella is amazing and her ideas are ultra-cute. Personally, I find cake balls way too sweet for my taste (Bakerella herself describes them as "super-sweet" and I agree), but I love the book and it totally deserves 5 stars. I have already bought five as gifts as well as one for myself, for the simple reason that it's full of beautifyully photographed brilliant ideas for decorating sweet truffles. I have been making truffles by combining crushed Oreo cookies with cream cheese for almost 4 years now. The saltiness in the cream cheese cuts the sweetness of the cookies, so (in my opinion) they taste so much nicer than cake balls. Bakerella mentions the possibility of oreo truffles on page 98 of her book, and you'll find the recipe on her website as well as elsewhere (1 pack cream cheese, one pack oreos, one pack almond bark for coating - just 3 ingredients). I live in the USA and have the American version of the book. I don't know whether the British version is any different, but in case it isn't, Brits need to know that the British version of almond bark is called "chocolate flavour cake covering", brands include Silver Spoon and Tesco. I use Bakerella's ideas but with an oreo truffle filling - perfection! I don't bother with sticks though, I just put the decorated balls in paper cases - it's less hassle that way.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2011 3:35 PM BST