Profile for josie82 > Reviews

Content by josie82
Helpful Votes: 1990

josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Go Stationery Polka Big A5 Notebook - Red
Go Stationery Polka Big A5 Notebook - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute notebook - great price, 31 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a huge fan of stationery - I love notebooks especially if they’re good quality with a cute design. And this notebook ticks both those boxes.

The design is a simple red background with big, white polka dots on the front and the back. The cover itself is a standard cardboard stock. It’s an A5 notebook which is double spiral bound - nice and sturdy for most normal notebook use.

Inside there is white paper with grey lines. There’s no side margin and the top and bottom margins aren’t much bigger than the lines themselves. The paper is good quality and plenty thick enough to write with a pen or pencil without showing through on the other side.

It states in the description that there’s an elastic closer but, unless I received an abnormal book, there isn’t one on the notebook. Not that it needs it with the spiral binding.

This is a good, standard notebook that’s well-made and with a cute design. It’s a good price (£3.50 at the time of writing this review) and you really can’t go wrong with this for whatever reason you’re looking for a notebook. A good buy. 5 stars.

Golf Rules Illustrated: 2016-2017 (Royal & Ancient)
Golf Rules Illustrated: 2016-2017 (Royal & Ancient)
by R&A Championships Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book - very impressed, 14 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing to note about this book is that it looks and feels like really good quality. The paper is nice and glossy, the photographs are high quality and stand out, and the whole thing just looks really nice.

Essentially this is an illustrated guide to the official rules of golf, effective from January 2016, brought to us by the Royal and Ancient. But as well as that, this book gives you so much more information. With the rules comes explanations of the them in action as well as frequently asked questions which makes it so much easier to understand whether you’re a beginner or an old pro.

This really is an interesting book. You might know the rules of golf but I suspect you’ll still find this book an interesting read. And even then, the illustrations themselves are also really interesting to look over. At the time of writing my review the book costs around £8 which is excellent value for what you get. 5 stars and perfect for anyone who loves or plays golf.

Go Stationery Neon Bloom A5 Butterflies Notebook
Go Stationery Neon Bloom A5 Butterflies Notebook

5.0 out of 5 stars Great notebook - great price, 9 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love a good notebook and that’s what this is.

The design is a grey/dark purple background filled with white butterfly drawings filled with bright colours. The cover itself is a standard cardboard stock. It’s an A5 notebook which is double spiral bound - nice and sturdy for most normal notebook use.

Inside, there is a single plain piece of paper and then comes the white paper with grey lines. There’s no margin. The paper is good quality and plenty thick enough to write with a pen or pencil without showing through on the other side.

This is a good, standard notebook that’s well-made and with a great design. It’s a good price (approximately £3.50 at the time of writing this review) and you really can’t go wrong with this for whatever reason you’re looking for a notebook.

Go Stationery Cerise Trees A5 Notebook
Go Stationery Cerise Trees A5 Notebook

4.0 out of 5 stars A really lovely notebook, 9 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love stationery. For some reason, I find something so pleasing about pens, pencils, notebooks and any item of stationery I can get my hands on.

That’s why I was immediately drawn to this lovely notebook.

It’s A5 in size and has a hard spine (as opposed to being spiral bound).

The decoration is a deep pink on a smooth, almost shiny and metallic cover. There are lighter pink trees across the cover as well as colourful, metallic birds and birdhouses decorating those trees. The decoration really is adorable. Feminine and girly without being too in your face about it.

The inside of the cover is a nice yellow colour with a matt finish and a bird decoration. The paper inside is cream and is lined. There’s no margin but the decorative dots along the top and bottom of each page means you could easily draw a line between two and make your own margin. Both the different coloured inside and the cream paper makes this notebook seem a little bit special.

There is also a pink elastic closer on the notebook meaning you can keep your notebook all closed up and any loose papers safely inside.

All in all this is a really nice notebook for a really nice price (approximately £5 at the time of writing this review) and it’s 100% British designed and made so you feel good that you’re helping the local economy when you buy it!

My only reason for giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that you’ll have to bend the front cover and spine to write in it and keep it flat. This will make the pretty front cover have a big ol’ crease at the side which seems rather a shame although maybe that’s just because I’m such a fan of pretty stationery and notebooks!

L'Oreal Paris Paris True Match Concealer - 5 ml, Sand (Number 5)
L'Oreal Paris Paris True Match Concealer - 5 ml, Sand (Number 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 31 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve always used concealer as part of my normal, every day beauty routine. Having said that, it’s really only been because I feel like I should rather than me feeling like it actually does anything for the dark circles/puffiness under my eyes.

For that reason I was expecting to like this product but not really expecting it to blow me away with its effectiveness. When I tried it I was very surprised that it was really, really good and surprisingly effective.

I have quite pale skin and I chose number 5, Sable Sand. When it first went on I was convinced that it was a couple of shades too dark but as I blended it in it was a fantastic match.

The applicator brush is similar to that in a lip stain and helps you not to put too much on your face at any one time. The bottle seems a little smaller than I expected but after my first use, the little you need each time means this will probably last a long time. At roughly £6 (at the time of writing this review) I’m very happy with the value for money.

As I said before, it was a really good product and blended well, lightening the dark circles under my eyes and making me feel just a little more human! 5 stars.

Maybelline Tattoo 25 Eyestudio Color ml Everlasting Navy
Maybelline Tattoo 25 Eyestudio Color ml Everlasting Navy

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great, vibrant colour, 31 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing I noticed about this eyeshadow is that it comes in a very attractive glass jar with a plastic lid. No matter which way it’s stored, it’s easy to see what product this is and what colour. Handy if you keep all your makeup together in a basket or make-up bag.

The eye shadow itself is called a gel but I feel it’s more solid than that word would suggest. Either way, it is easy to put a little bit on your finger or a brush and smooth over your eyelid. It’s easy to apply and doesn’t clump or leave you with big wads of colour at the place you first put your finger/brush.

I admit being a little concerned by the words ‘tattoo’ ‘everlasting’ and ’24 hours’. I always want an eye shadow that stays put, especially when I’m going out, but I was sightly worried that it would stay on even when I tried to wash it off. No such worries - it stayed on well and came off easily.

This particular colour (Everlasting Navy) was a bright, vivid colour that had a nice bit of sparkle. It was more of a bottle blue than navy but still a deep, rich colour.

I really liked this bit of make-up and I’ll be on the look-out for other colours in the same range. A good range all round that will give your eyes an extra pop. 5 stars.

Maybelline Great Lash Big Mascara, Blackest Black
Maybelline Great Lash Big Mascara, Blackest Black
Offered by NailPolishDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected it to be, 24 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’m not expecting wondrous things with mascara yet I was still quite disappointed with this mascara as a whole.

The tube is a good, standard size and the brush easy to use and to apply the mascara. I also really liked the colours of the tube - you definitely wouldn’t misplace this mascara in your make-up bag.

The first time I used the mascara I assumed that, because it was a new tube, I just hadn’t put enough mascara on the brush before applying it. The look I got was very understated and the colour not visibly darker than my usual black or dark brown mascara. I made sure there was enough mascara the next time I used it but the effect was still the same - a very natural, every-day look.

This mascara isn’t a waterproof so I wasn’t expecting it to be as robust as if it was, but I was still quite surprised to find that it didn’t last nearly as long as I hoped. Practically every time I found myself near a mirror I was having to wipe excess from under my eye lids - it made me quite paranoid! However, because of this, the mascara is easy to clean off at the end of the day.

I would wear this mascara for days when I was doing very little or not straying far from home. It’s far from terrible but there are much better mascaras out there that give a much better impact in my opinion.

Sunshimmer Self Tan Mousse, Light Matte
Sunshimmer Self Tan Mousse, Light Matte

3.0 out of 5 stars More suited to the experienced tanner, 21 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Full disclosure - I have a very pale complexion and my tanning experience is limited to the sun (and I’m from Britain!) and the occasional moisturiser with a hint of tan. So I’m reviewing this product from the place of someone that’s not used to other tanning products on the market.

This product looked simple enough to use. Exfoliate your skin to ensure that it’s smooth then skoosh some mousse into your hands and spread evenly to create a nice tan. The most important part is to make sure you’ve blended well on your elbows etc and to make sure you wash your hands immediately after application.

I didn’t find blending a problem but my hands did turn a strange red/gold colour almost immediately. Despite vigorous washing, it stayed on my hands for a couple of hours before disappearing completely.

The mousse had, what I call, a mushroom smell. Everyone else says it’s just the smell of self tan lotion but I’m convinced it smells mushroomy. It’s not terrible but it’s quite distinct. The mousse went on easily and blended well. I only put a palmful of mousse to do both forearms and there was a nice glow as it developed. Nothing massively noticeable but it certainly wasn’t in your face.

The problem arose the next day when I went to work and happened to roll up my shirt sleeves only to notice a huge blotchy patch on my arm. I hadn’t noticed it in the shower and, to be honest, I doubt anyone else would have noticed without my pointing it out. But, I noticed it and I was a bit annoyed by it. I’m willing to admit that it may have been down to my novice application but I can’t really see myself using this product a lot in the future. Perhaps if you’re a bit more used to applying fake tan then you’ll have better luck than I did but I can only give this product 3 stars.

Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner - Black (Number 01)
Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner - Black (Number 01)

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect eye liner tool, 18 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always been a lover of dramatic eye make-up but I’ve never been able to get the look that I wanted. Pencils feel too light and easily smudge while I just don’t seem to have a steady enough hand to get an even and consistent line with liquid liner. Because of this I was equal parts interested and suspicious of this gel eyeliner.

The first thing to note is that you get a small pot of gel eyeliner and a double ended brush - one side for a finer line and the other for a smudge. Everything comes in box packaging.

The first time I tried to apply it I was very surprised about how easily it went on. It calls itself a gel but I found it a little bit more solid than I initially expected. That’s definitely not a bad thing - the consistency ensures that it glides on smoothly but isn’t too wet to go everywhere. The line the you can draw isn’t necessarily what I would call a fine line like you would get with a liquid liner - but that makes it much easier to get a smooth curve.

You can use the finer side of the brush for an intense line and then smudge it (if you fancy) with the other side. I was happy happy with the time it took and the look that I achieved with this brush and liner.

The big test was when I went on a night out after putting on my eyeliner. I’m not sure if I just have watery eyes or if I just have a tendency to touch my eyes - either way my eyeliner rarely stays on my eyes when I’m out. This time I was pleasantly surprised. The line on my eyes was just as dramatic when I got home as when I’d left. It even survived (and looked alright) after I’d slept the night without washing it off. Not recommended but it’s good to know.

This is something that’s definitely going to be a staple of my make-up bag from now on. And at £6 (at the time of this review) it’s a not bad price for a good bit of kit. 5 stars.

What Happens Under the Mistletoe
What Happens Under the Mistletoe
by Sabrina Jeffries
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Three gems make this a great Christmas read, 11 Dec. 2015
**The Heiress and the Hothead - Sabrina Jeffries - 5 stars**

Stunned by the heat of an unexpected kiss on a cold winter’s eve, two strangers from vastly different worlds turn hotheaded principles into burning passion.

Sabrina Jeffries is one of my favourite authors and this story doesn’t disappoint. It’s part of the Sinful Suitors series but stands nicely on its own. As usual, lively characters, strong emotion and an unusual premise give this tale something more than most. Stephen and Amanda were made to work hard to win their happily ever after but it was worth it.

**Twelve Kisses to Midnight - Karen Hawkins - 1 star**

In the snowy Scottish countryside a rakish duke has an unforgettable holiday encounter when the alluring lady her surprises under the mistletoe is not who he expected, but a long-lost love with a score to settle.

Hoots mon! Och, aye, if you’re looking for a cringeworthy attempt at a Scottish romance then dinnae look any further than this book. Ye hear me, aye? Life is far too short to force yourself to read such embarrassing tripe.

**By Any Other Name - Candace Camp - 4 stars**

Edinburgh is aglitter for Christmastime as a curious gentleman is in hot pursuit of an intriguing lady in disguise - one who refuses to reveal her true identity, but fears he has already stole her heart with his kisses.

Aaargh - this story was as cute as a button! Both Gregory and Rylla were fun, well-rounded characters and their romance was so sweet. This felt different from other ‘girl dresses as boy’ stories and Edinburgh felt authentic. The story was let down slightly by a few too many Americanisms but still a good read all round.

**Sweetest Regret - Meredith Duran - 5 stars**

Will the festive spirit of the season sweep feisty Georgiana beneath the mistletoe and back into the arms of dashing rogue, Lucas, who broke her heart two years ago?

I love a second chance at love story and I love a story where the hero and heroine are initially at odds. This had both. Packed with a great blend of fun, emotion and sweetness - Georgie and Lucas really stood out for me. Loved it.

Three great stories make this Christmas anthology a keeper. A definite read for those cosy nights in the run up to Christmas. 4 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20