Profile for Barbara Clitheroe > Reviews

Content by Barbara Clitheroe

Barbara Clitheroe (Lancashire England)

Mist Over Pendle
Mist Over Pendle
by Robert Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Many Like This, 23 July 2006
This review is from: Mist Over Pendle (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was 14 years old, during the school holidays; which means that it was 51 years ago.I think it is a fabulous book and I am reading it again at this present time.It is one of only two books that I have read again and again during my life-time, the other one being Wuthering Heights!

Robert Neill captivates his audience from page one. I travelled with Margery from London in the cart. I was by her side when she first met Roger Nowell at the Inn in Preston and I have remained with her ever since,roaming dear old Pendle Hill, riding through the Forest, visiting Marton at Christmas,helping Christopher Southworth to escape;trembling in my shoes when having to face 'dear Alice Nutter.

The author knows his territory well. I could wish I knew the author as well. Little is known ,if anything at all about Robert Neill, at least from my point of view I don't know anything at all about him, or maybe it's a her!Maybe someone who knows could write in and let us know.

For the people who live in the shadow of Pendle, as I do, mist over Pendle is as good as a guide book and who but North Country folk would know that Daylight Gate is twilight time.

Robert Neill has held my attention for more than fifty years, with Margery, Grace, Tony Nutter, priests and papists.With Demdike, Chattox,Squinting Lizzie, our Alice and the long-winded parsons. Yes, I certainly recommend that every-one should have a copy of Mist over Pendle by Robert Neill.When I look up from writing this re-view Ilook staight out over Pendle, lovely old Pendle, my Pendle.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2011 1:09 PM BST