Profile for P. F. May > Reviews

Growbag Pots (Set Of 6)
Offered by Garden Selections
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and well thought out design, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Growbag Pots (Set Of 6)
These grow pots are excellent. I already have some oval ones I bought at a garden centre but these knock the spots off them. These are well designed and sturdy.

They have a circular base with a serrated edge which digs into the soil and can be used to cut the correct size hole into the plastic of the grow bag. The top bit is rectangular. The inner tall pot has supports at each corner for canes, the outer lower watering section has a series of holes and the water doesn't just then flood over the grow bag top because of the depth of the circular bottom part that goes into the soil.

I am very pleased with these, they are first rate.

Deed Unpunished
Deed Unpunished
Price: 6.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable romp though Thailand, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Deed Unpunished (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyable romp though Thailand with a lot of local colour by someone who knows of what he speaks. I didn't get all the American political references on which the plot pivots but the descriptions of Thai life and the protagonist's travels and challenges kept me reading.

Book could do with objective editing to correct typo's and some clumsy phrasing.

Perfect holiday reading - I will buy the next book by this promising author.

The Deep Sand of Damaraland - A Journal of Namibia (African Raindrop Series)
The Deep Sand of Damaraland - A Journal of Namibia (African Raindrop Series)
Price: 4.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Perceptive interesting and amusing, 17 Aug 2013
Tom Mullen was born American yet is a world citizen, at home and at ease anywhere he goes, and he's travelled the planet living, studying and working all over, sometimes in inhospitable places such as Damaraland, Namibia where he spent months working in the desert drilling for water, a job he becomes to realise that is not going to be the solution that everyone expects but is in fact aggravating the problem.

Mullen is a talented and perceptive writer, needing few words to paint a detailed picture of the land and the people who visit and inhabit it. The book reads easily as you become involved in the characters and situations encountered along the way. Mullen's talents don't stop with writing, he is also an accomplished photographer and the book is well illustrated with his pictures.

Fridge Or Freezer Thermometer 52 mm Dial, Colour Coded Zones. Ideal For Home, Restaurants, Bars, Cafes
Offered by KGA-SUPPLIES
Price: 4.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value - Works as described, 3 May 2013
Only fridge thermometer I saw in shops was Heston Blumenthal branded at 14.99 and it didn't have colour coded temperature zones. This is a fraction of that price and does have colour zones for both fridge and freezer, plus it is smaller which is useful in a small fridge.
Someone made a disparaging comment about another model from the same company alleging that because the temperatures recorded go way above you'd expect to find in a fridge it was just an 'ordinary' thermometer pretending to be a fridge one. Company representative used comment to point out that the thermometer has to accept higher temps during storage and when it travels by post to the customer. Not something I'd thought of before and makes perfect sense, and fact a company rep reads reviews here and gives reasonable response gave me confidence in the company.
Delivery couldn't have been faster, it proved its worth by showing our fridge was way too warm and we've turned down the fridge dial till we got into the correct zone.
Little hook works well to hang from a wire shelf, I've also stood it against items in fridge.
Can't beat this for price and speed of delivery.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2013 4:16 PM BST

The Execution
The Execution
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Historical Romance, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Execution (Kindle Edition)
I quite enjoyed this historical romance about two brothers separated at and early age, one becoming a priest and the other a fearsome soldier. When they meet much later they tell each other the story of their lives, with chapters alternating between their stories. Both fall inappropriately in love, which cause them to break away from their destined path and both suffer for that love.

The book is set in France in the mid 1300's and others have praised its historical accuracy but I wasn't convinced after reading near the beginning of a farmer feeding turkeys - more than a century before Columbus. Also a female character is reading books and casually tossing one aside, amost a century before Gutenberg made books possible at an price affordable for all but the very richest. This woman also called people 'fourteenth century buffoons' which I thought an odd insult to use in the 14thC.

A mention of the Hundred Years war, a war that started in 1337 and wouldn't be known by that name until long after it finished also puzzled as did a reference to Lamond deBourbon falling in love with Mary Plantagent in 1346 (when she was 2) and marrying her, when I thought it was John V, Duke of Brittany to whom she was married. Reading of people drinking tea, which came to Europe in the 16thC and celebrating with Champagne several hundred years before that sparkling wine appeared made me question all the other historical gobbets that have been inserted into slow down the action.

Of the two life stories I much prefered the soldier's, there was a lot going on and it was much more interesting and exciting to me than that of the soppy priest whose name, D'ata, kept reminding me of a Star Trek character. However pehaps for female readers the love interest would be more interesting.

I guessed the ending but not the odd supernatural element that jarred.

I'd certainly read the author's next book as she has real talent and can expertly tell a gripping story.

The Kindle edition was well formatted and I noticed only one typo - should be river Rhone not Rhome.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2013 8:24 PM GMT

RIL50 8 LED Mini Inspection Light Lamp With Pocket Clip & Magnet
RIL50 8 LED Mini Inspection Light Lamp With Pocket Clip & Magnet
Offered by Glaze Auto Parts
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, delivered swiftly, 28 Feb 2013
I read a review of this torch in the Sunday Times and thought it'd be useful for an upcoming trip to visit prehistoric ruins and tombs, which from past experiernce have been very dark inside. So before forgetting about it I ordered it and it arrived within a few days. The light it extremely bright - I accidentaly shined it in my face and the effecton my eyes lasted about an hour. I've not used it for what I intended but ave tried it in the dark at home and it seems to give light over a wide area so idea for walking in the dark on uneven footing.

The magnet in the clip is a bonus and I have it on my fridge-freezer ready for emergencies or if I need to go out in the back garden at night.

One tip - the torch comes with batteries already fitted. At first I couldn't get it to work but then I found there is a small disc of black paper between the battery and the contact to prevent the batteries leaking. Remove that and behold, there is light!

Angels Don't Die (Madeleine Toche Series Book 2)
Angels Don't Die (Madeleine Toche Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Blooded Action Thriller, 25 Feb 2013
I wasn't sure that I'd enjoy this book being set in the Palestine/Israel situation, but it exceeded my expectations.

Madeleine Toche, the WWII trained killer from Cold Lonely Courage is again at the front in this red-blooded action thriller as favours are called in and old friends come together to attempt to rescue a hostage from a hidden PLO prison.

Madeleine is 30 years older than when we first met her but she's not to be underestimated, and if you're an enemy and meet her on a dark night you'll be unlikely to see her -- or anything else afterwards.

Good to make reacquaintance with characters from the first book, and also to hear hints that there were other operations Madeleine was involved in that Mr Petrek might be persuaded to chronicle..

On the Kindle formatting side, the indents at the start of paragraphs were very deep, so mach so when that reading the book on my phone the indent took half the line.

Patience County War (Madeleine Toche Series Book 3)
Patience County War (Madeleine Toche Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven Stars from me!!, 14 Feb 2013
Oh boy! I did so enjoy this red-blooded tale. I stayed reading long after my partner had turned off the light and gone to sleep because I just couldn't put it down.

There's a great set of characters, and tough action. You know from the start and the title that the book will climax in a battle, and it's the building anticipation as a Sheriff in a quiet backwater and a drug cartel come to that point that makes you gallop through the book.

Unusually there's a goodly number of elderly characters - I reckon at the most generous they are in their very late 80's but more likely 90s - that take a very active part.

There's community and friendship, love and relationships well described, and all the people of Patience want to do is live life quietly and peacefully in their idyllic corner of America. But when the bad guys come along they make a stand with the sheriff to defend their homes. And since many of the old guys have had considerable combat experience and are well armed, they are not the useless defenceless old codgers that they are taken for.

The Sheriff is a tough ex-special forces man, who after being shot and nearly killed as a police officer in Detroit, moves back to his home town. He likes to say `there's no crime in Patience', which he achieves by persuading those that want to blot the record to move elsewhere and coming down hard on those that don't move.

The characters are larger than life and the story reads like it was written for Hollywood. I can see Arnie, Clint, Sly and Bruce Willis all fighting to play the Sheriff's father.

I loved reading this book, it's a real holiday read for men, fast paced and exciting. I'm now looking to download this authors other books.

Kindle formatting is fairly good with nice graphic Chapter Titles. However it would be better with spacing before a paragraph that starts a new scene. I was also confused at times recognising who was being talked about, there are two Carls and one Carlos, and two Smiths. Another character, Junior Williams in Chapter 20 becomes Junior Carter in Chapter 24. There were some typos in the latter part of the book, and lack of capitalisation of proper names, including Patience itself. All easily fixable.

Seven stars from me.

She's Not There
She's Not There

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing premise, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: She's Not There (Kindle Edition)
I read this book to this end and enjoyed it. The premise is good - if a woman vanishes and the police records show reports of abuse by that partner then he will be the obvious suspect.
We follow our protagonist Lisa, a psychologist, who begins to suspect that perhaps a killer is preying on abused women knowing their partner will get the blame. Unable to convince the police she embarks on an investigation that becomes increasing dangerous as the killer is alerted.

The location is real and the story is dotted with names of local places but I had difficulty visualising them because there wasn't enough description. I also didn't find the characters interesting enough for the amount of time we spent with them. Too much credit was given to plastic surgery, imo, and I was disappointed with the way Lisa dealt with her suspect.

Good Kindle formatting, but the sheer number of short chapters starting on a new page meant
a lot of clicking.

I'd Sooner Starve! (The story of a hapless restaurant owner)
I'd Sooner Starve! (The story of a hapless restaurant owner)
Price: 1.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Customers - can't live with them, can't live without them, 4 Feb 2013
Of course the author has selected to tell of the exceptional customers, a book of ordinary people coming in, buying, and leaving wouldn't make a story.

But the exceptions and situations here are extreme, even if slightly polished for publication, and you wonder how the staff held back from thumping some of their customers (athough not all troublemakers were customers, in that they actually paid for anything).

Hearing from friends who work in 'customer facing' jobs I don't doubt at all that the stories here are true.

I loved the story of the customer who demanded their free 'whiffy, having noted the sign in the window offering free wi-fi. They didn't know what it was, but they 'knew their rights' and so insisted on having it!

This is a most interesting read of life behind the serving counter, I really enjoyed it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7