Profile for BookWorm64 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The One You Really Want
The One You Really Want

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely light read., 13 Aug. 2015
Not one for romance stories, I gave this a try not knowing what to expect. I can honestly say I loved it. The characters were compelling and the relationships were brought to life with their description and real life woe.

Although some parts were predictable, I still enjoyed reading it and found that I couldn't put it down.

Would recommend.

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

4.0 out of 5 stars A unique and refreshing story line., 5 Aug. 2015
Karen Joy Fowler had me captured from the first few pages. It's told in a non-chronological fashion which sometimes leaves you confused but adds to the semantics of the story. It starts in the middle - the most compelling part and then makes you want to know the origins and following up parts. Thus you're kept interested throughout, rarely losing its momentum.

Having done a psychology degree myself, a lot of this is interesting beyond the character herself. It is clearly a well researched piece of writing that lends itself to a tale of family.

A wonderful piece of work from a talented author.

This House is Haunted: The True Story of the Enfield Poltergeist
This House is Haunted: The True Story of the Enfield Poltergeist

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to say the least., 6 Jun. 2015
Having watched the Sky version of the TV programme I became instantly transfixed on this case and wanted to know more about it. I downloaded this in order to draw my own conclusions about the poltergeist activity.

From the start the author makes his intentions clear. It is a book that compiles all the activity encountered in Enfield and then scrutinises them objectively. It is obvious, for the time this was occurring, that great consideration went into being able to measure the activity in a way that was not influenced by personal opinion and beliefs and to produce accurate readings that could lead to further investigations and comparisons with other cases. Therefore this makes a compelling read for those that are interested in the existence of a dimension away from that which is physical. It makes a particularly strong argument in that the author is persistent in investigating the case thoroughly and holding his hands up to where there is another reasonable explanation.

However, towards the end, it appears to not have a precise ending or acknowledges how or why the activity came to a stop. It sort of fizzles out and delves into the discussion of possible explanations of what happened, turning towards science. I would like to have seen more about the lives of the family after the poltergeist left.

Nevertheless it is one of the strongest books I have read, with it its care not to exaggerate but to note down all the little details that could possibly one day lead to an understanding about such "paranormal" activity. Well worth a read.

Paper Towns
Paper Towns

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent read, 9 May 2015
This review is from: Paper Towns (Kindle Edition)
I read this book having read and thoroughly enjoyed The Fault in our Stars. Whilst Fault took less than three days to read as I was completely gripped on an emotional journey, this one took a bit more to get into.

The start was promising. I enjoyed the sort of coming of age journey that Margo inflicted on the very square Quentin. Watching him develop and grow, which is enjoyable throughout the book, but I wasn't completely convinced as the true plot was introduced. At times I felt I had to endure as I really did want to find out how the story would conclude.

However, John Green has proved that yet again he is a very talented and unique writer. He's happy to explore alternatives in story endings, not always one to have a conventional and happy ending. His command of the English language and his story writing technique is a refreshing change and he often provides thought provoking ideas and quotes.

Although I started by comparing this book to a former book, I'd say that people should treat it completely different and appreciate, yet again, what a good piece of writing looks like.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars A Swedish version of Forrest Gump, 30 Nov. 2014
A fantastic read from start to finish. Very humorous, it keeps its pace throughout the book and you can't help reading on to find out the adventures of Allan Karlsson.

I would definitely recommend this!

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars

4.0 out of 5 stars A metaphorical masterpiece, 5 July 2014
From the start you fall in love with the characters of this book. It's much more than a love story, it's a journey of pain and enlightenment. You leave it with a feeling of greater contemplation of the meaning of life and your contribution to the universe.
My only criticism is that I wanted to know more, almost like Hazel's frustration towards her favourite book in the story!!
Overall, consider it a must-read (just make sure you have hankies ready!)

TeckNet Apple iPod Classic 120GB 160GB Leather Flip Case - Black (6th & 7th Generation 120GB 160GB, 2009 Edition)
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it., 9 April 2013
I wanted something sturdy, that would allow me to access my iPod, but also to protect it from the inevitable scratches and bumps of day to day use.

I ordered this after some consideration, and I've not been happier about a previous iPod case.
Whilst it has a window for the screen and dial and thus isn't protected when opened, the flap securely shuts with a magnetic close, thus leading to protection and ease of use.

Whilst I found initially that the flap was slightly awkward to use, it lends itself well to those sunny and rainy days, so you can quickly check what song is playing, or change the settings without risking damage from the elements.

The case was a snug fit to put it in, and I did have fears that it wouldn't fit, but it eventually did slide down. The snug fit means that is in no danger of the iPod moving, and the flap that hides the slot to remove it ensures that the product is highly secure.

There is a hole for charging and head phones, thus there is no hassle with extracting the iPod every time you want to use it (though you may have to if you want to use a dock).

Overall, it is smart, certainly feels and looks more than the price, and I would recommend this product.

5 Star Air Duster Can HFC Free Compressed Gas Flammable 400ml
5 Star Air Duster Can HFC Free Compressed Gas Flammable 400ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 15 Mar. 2013
It arrived swiftly, and works just as expected. It has finally cured my noisy laptop fan!

However, the little nozzle that attaches to the can to get into the tiny crevices is quite flimsy and once or twice has flung off across the room when spraying. Also when used for a time, it does come out as liquid which may not be the best for an electronic piece of equipment...but for the price it's definitely worthwhile.

Scholastic Reader Level 3: Even Steven and Odd Todd (Hello Reader! Math Level 3)
by Kathryn Cristaldi

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for my pupils, 24 Jan. 2013
As a trainee teacher I struggled for days wondering how to go about introducing odds and evens to a Year 1 class. Turns out this is the book to do it!

The characters are enjoyable and catchy. Everything (literally EVERYTHING) seems to be connected to odd and even numbers, the characters names (just look at the number of letters in each one), the pictures, the cats that appear in the pictures, the text and it even includes a few suggestions for games at the end. There is so much you can take from this book to make odd and even lessons engaging and interesting.
I even read it as a bit of home time reading for the children.

Highly recommended!

Kensington KeyFolio Folio Case with Bluetooth Spill Resistant Keyboard for iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4
Offered by Luzern

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmm..., 24 Jan. 2013
Looks top notch, feels top notch. Seemed to be just what I wanted when it was in it's packaging with just the little keyhole gap to feel the case's soft keyboard.
However, ordered it online, paid the price, and now I'm paying to get it returned again.

Despite its professional look it does not have more than one adjustable setting at all - it has one and that's basically upright. You'd have to crane your neck/sit uncomfortably to be able to type and look at the screen.
Secondly, it took forever to find out how to connect the bluetooth keyboard to the ipad. Turns out the instructions are minutely wrong which left me completely baffled. You have to press the connection but at a certain time to be able to connect the device at all.
Thirdly, the silicon casing meant that the access to the on/off slide switch was harder to reach without damaging the case (especially if you have nails).
Fourthly, it's hard to type on. From the reviews my initial thought was 'Ha! Who needs a right shift key' which is the only complaint anyone actually had. Turns out the keys are more of an issue. I'm a speedy typer...wouldn't be on that keyboard.
Finally, the z, x, c, v, m, ",", "." keys did not work never mind not having a right shift key. This was finally the straw that broke the camel's back after all that.

Note to self...don't buy something because it looks the business, buy something that does the business...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2015 3:28 PM GMT