Profile for Frayhon > Reviews

Content by Frayhon

Frayhon (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
LOHAS® E14 SES LED Bulb 5W,400lm,Warm White,40w Replacement,Non Dimmable,360°Beam Angle,230V AC - Pack of 2
Offered by LED-365BUY

5.0 out of 5 stars Brightest and baddest bulbs in da hood, 9 Jan. 2016
I had been buying halogen bulbs from ebay for my cooker hood but they seemed to blow every few weeks. I have now had these Lohas bulbs for over six weeks and have used them for a lot more hours yet they are very bright and still working. For the price I cannot think of anything bad about them. They are definitely better than Halogen and are ideal for my cooker hood. I will be buying again.

Wrangler Men's Texas Stretch Regular Fit Jeans, Black, W34/L36
Wrangler Men's Texas Stretch Regular Fit Jeans, Black, W34/L36

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to black, 14 Nov. 2015
This is a review of the black Texas Stretch jeans which seem more like an over dye black as they are very dark, but have a vibrant colour. Other reviews had criticised these black "jeans" as being more like trousers in that the material does not feel like denim. This is true. However, I find the material is a nice soft quality to touch and reminds me of moleskin jeans I bought from a high street store many years ago. The fit is nice although the waist is slightly tighter than a high street 34. My actual waist is about 36 inches but these button up easily due to the stretch material even if they are a little tight. The one thing I would change about these is that they have quite a bit of loose material at the back of the thighs. This might be good if you are a rugby player, but for me it detracts from the fit as I think it gives less shape to the part where the seat becomes the leg area - just below the back pockets. I am tall and find the 36 inch length leg fits well, while being wide enough at the hem that my big feet don't look like diver's flippers from the side. I find many jeans and trousers are too tapered these days even when they are advertised as a straight or regular fit. The Texas stretch achieve a better balance. I have only held off giving five stars due to the thigh being too loose in my opinion. However, at £26 for the black pair they are well worth it.

Karrimor Mens Walk Socks Footwear Accessories 2 Pack
Karrimor Mens Walk Socks Footwear Accessories 2 Pack
Price: £5.00 - £5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and durable socks, 10 May 2015
These socks are very good. I have a few pairs and used them for everyday use during the mild winter. They do have padding on them which was effective when I wore a new pair of shoes and completely eliminated any possibility of blisters from the new shoes. The padding is definitely effective. When I first seen that these socks were a mixture of materials I thought they might be another cheap pair, but I was wrong. They are durable and good quality. My only gripe is that some of the stitching inside left some thread around which were a bit annoying near the the toes. However, I simply cut these carefully with scissors. These are not going to be the warmest socks in a cold winter, but for what they are they do a very good job.

Fellowes Photo Gel Mouse Pad Wrist Support - Reef Fish
Fellowes Photo Gel Mouse Pad Wrist Support - Reef Fish

2.0 out of 5 stars Darker than it looks, 26 Dec. 2014
Far darker than it looks in the photo. The gel part is comfortable, but I had bought it for the bright colours in the hope it would brighten the desktop. It is still a nice print, and good quality mouse pad.

Acer Aspire XC-605 Desktop PC (Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8.1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A certainly good buy, 26 Dec. 2014
The i5 processor has worked fine with Photoshop and playing most videos - for example I can play HD video and use Photoshop at the same time. I can run multiple applications without any lags in performance, and Windows 8.1 runs fast and boots up in about 18 seconds. The only issue was with 4k video. I am using a 23 inch Benq monitor, and despite this PC having a graphics card it will not play 4k. The video stops and starts (mostly stops), but will not play with the 23 inch monitor / i5 processor. The set-up has its limits.

Also, the machine can be a bit noisy. I live in London near to a junction so often have background noise, but when there are periods of silence the PC can be heard running which some people may find annoying. The size is very nice as it is a small form factor and does not take up much space. There is some bloatware on the PC but this does not seem to slow it down noticeably and can easily be removed. I find Windows 8.1 is easy to use (I switched from XP) and I am glad I did not go for a touchscreen which I originally wanted.

Overall it is a good PC and I am happy with the purchase. I have had no issues with connectivity and everything I try to connect is recognised with file transfer working fine, including bluetooth. The wireless internet connection is fast enough so I have not yet connected to the internet with a cable. As the other reviews have mentioned this is a DVD-Rom drive not a DVD-RW (as was wrongly specified on Amazon). I have had the occasional problem where I have shut down the PC, but the light on the PC has remained on to show me it is still powered up even though I can not see anything on the screen - but this is a slight annoyance.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2014 10:44 PM GMT

JVC HAEBX5B Splash Proof Sports Headphone  - Black
JVC HAEBX5B Splash Proof Sports Headphone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Ear me now, cheap and cheerful innit!, 28 Feb. 2014
I bought these for jogging and they are definitely good value; they stay in securely, and the sound is decent enough. I was a bit concerned with reviews which said they fall out while exercising or that the sound is tinny. To an extent you could call it tinny, but this is not poundland tinny. Any lack of quality in the sound is made up for by good volume and reverb quality for the mid range making for a pretty decent sound whatever you are listening to.

I have tried these with tracks ranging from bassline heavy dubstep music, to woodwind instrumental music. They are found lacking in bass, but not to the point that it will totally ruin the music. It still gives a just about acceptable bass sound, but it will make bass heavy tracks sound different than you are used to, and never the same as you would get from more expensive headphones. For higher range music like the flute or certain vocals the sound can have a grating, or breaking up quality on certain notes. Again given the loud reverb on the mid range it is still an acceptable sound.

Also, one review said that the volume was not loud enough. This definitely is not the case as I had to turn the volume down at one point to save my ear drums. I have used them with a Sony Walkman phone and a Sandisk MP3 player, both of which have great volume. I would suggest anyone complaining about the volume buy another MP3 player.

I did find the left ear to be a little bit looser when I started running but this could be my Doctor Spock ear rather than the earphones. In any case I found that if you put it into the ear and twist with the right motion then it stays in securely. It also came with other sizes of ear plugs which can be fitted on, and the cable was more than long enough to go put my MP3 player into the side pocket of my running top. Also, these block out the sound of traffic very well. If you like to hear background sound while running or cycling (I don't suggest listening to music while cycling) then this brand is not for you.

Brilliant value, but if you want a flawless sound with very good bass go with another brand an pay more.

Campingaz Quick Single Flocked Surface Inflatable Camp Air Bed - Blue, 188 x 74 cm

3.0 out of 5 stars What the flocked??, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Campingaz Quickbed Airbed (Sports)
After moving to a new flat I had no mattress at all and the Campingaz looked ideal as a temporary measure. Well, as I am indecisive in buying a proper mattress I ended up using this mattress for about 6 weeks. It is surprisingly comfortable and despite being prone to lower back pain I found that if I inflated it enough it would be firm enough but still make some adjustment for your weight - that is to say mould to your shape.

It is the first time since I was a kid that I slept on a single mattress and would not recommend the experience. Some of the negative points were sliding off of it during the night and ending up on the floor. Or, adjusting my sleeping position to compensate for having so little room which caused me shoulder pain.

After about 5 weeks I found the mattress developed two punctures. The mattress does come with a repair kit, but good luck finding a slow puncture on a large enough mattress - this isn't an inner tube, and one side is flocked as well. I found that I would go to sleep and wake up on a flat mattress, however due to the fact there was still air in it the mattress was fairly comfortable when even half inflated. I found one puncture but it still leaked so I assume there are more.

The mattress is decent, but is definitely a temporary measure for occasional use. If I bought one again I would buy the double, and I would expect it to puncture with regular use, and I would be very careful when lying on it or getting up not to put much pressure on any small area to minimise the risk of a puncture.

Klitschko [DVD]
Klitschko [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sebastian Dehnhardt
Offered by joe4books

4.0 out of 5 stars The Iron and Steel Business, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Klitschko [DVD] (DVD)
Any fans of heavyweight boxing will at least remember the late 90s and early 2000s as an exciting time, whether they were Klitschko fans or not. Lennox Lewis was King and the two Ukrainian giants were up and coming in the heavyweight division. This DVD takes you step by step through the years leading up to the emergence of Vladimir and Vitali in the heavyweight division, the ups and downs of their heavyweight fights, and their dream of "World domination" finally being realised.

The documentary is an eye opener for boxing fans in that it shows some unseen footage of Vitali as a lanky 190lb kickboxer in what appears to be the late 1980s and footage of Vladimir boxing in Germany as an amateur prior to winning an Olympic Gold medal in 1996. The brothers appear to be very fast and powerful athletes at that time, and this gives a more complete picture of what they were capable of in terms of speed prior to putting on 50lb or 60lb in weight to compete as super heavyweights. Thus much of the criticism levelled against them during their professional careers for being cumbersome and not throwing enough combination punches is put into perspective. They are fine athletes, but have seemingly made compromises and slowed down in exchange for the much needed power that the modern era of super-heavyweights must have.

Viewing their parents being interviewed, Vladimir visiting his old house, or the brothers engaging in hobbies gives a feel for what they are like in their personal lives. For anyone who has been a fan of the brothers for a long time this is a much welcome insight that goes some way towards satiating the curiosity of boxing fans who wonder why one brother is so resilient while the other one has at times seemed fragile in the ring. It appears Vladimir has his own views on this. He does compare his ups and downs in the ring to the ups and downs of the "greats" like Tyson and Joe Louis. Whether this opinion has any merit depends largely on whether the tall, stand-up, and careful style of a 6ft 7ins fighter who boxes behind the jab will ever be respected by boxing fans in the same way as the 220lb 6ft tall boxers who come forward to fight. I think I know the answer, but then the comparison is not as straight forward as it seems in any case.

The DVD appears to avoid mentioning Vladimir being selected by the authorities in the Soviet Union to begin boxing due to his apparent natural potential as a 14 year old athlete. This is something I heard the late (and great) Manny Steward, and Vladimir talk about in separate interviews, although it appears Vladimir is not fond of the fact that he was chosen to be a boxer by the system. There is footage in the deleted scenes of him visiting some kind of sports school which he attended as a teenager, but he does not mention if this was part of a Soviet sports programme. It is disappointing that details of this were not included in the DVD. For that reason I will give it four stars, but if you are a Klitschko fan I think you will give it five for the unseen fight footage and the perspective on who they are outside of the ring.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars My feet are cold as I type this review, 11 Feb. 2012
I am wearing heat holders socks right now. In fact I have a normal pair of socks on under them as well, but they just do not hold heat in however they are worn in this weather (it is zero degrees today). I live in a flat which is not centrally heated, and any time my feet are in contact with the floor my feet will get cold despite the much talked about "2.3 tog" rating. I have a pair of normal slippers on too.

Maybe these will keep your feet warm when walking or if you wear a big pair of slippers at home, but on their own they are nothing to shout about. It's a shame other manufacturers don't use this TOG rating as we might get some good competition between them if they did. Anyway, I'm off to put my feet in the oven for ten minutes.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2012 12:22 AM GMT

Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life (Quick Reads)
Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life (Quick Reads)
by Sir Richard Branson

2.0 out of 5 stars Sluggish on the runway, but never takes off, 11 Feb. 2012
I bought this hoping it would give an insight into business motivation and demonstrate what kind of spark entrepreneurs have that other mere mortals lack, but in this short book Richard Branson doesn't inspire. It is clear that he wrote the book in the form of a motivational or self-help book in that it lists numerous principles to live and do business by. The problem is that the anecdotes he uses to demonstrate and bring to life these principles come across as forced and not very profound.

At times he seems contradictory. He espouses the value of hard work and states that if you work hard enough money will come. However, his own stories of how he progressed repeatedly recall times he borrowed money from his family, and don't give examples of any 9-5 drudgery in his own life. He even gives an example of his mother getting the chance to fly with the RAF by using her feminine charms on some bloke who fancied her; this is good for her and the bloke she flirted with but doesn't really do much for me and does not give an insight into coming up with, developing and pursuing business ideas or motivation.

There are other examples of good motivational business books. Some of those written by Rachel Bridge seem to contain good stories of entrepreneurial success. As for self help books and principles to live by, you are spoiled for choice on Amazon. Branson's book tries to be everything in very few pages, but fails.

Page: 1 | 2