Profile for HBMAN > Reviews

Mary Queen Of Scotland And The Isles
by Margaret George
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Nov 2007
This book is everything that Sharon Penman's Sunne in Splendour isn't. There's breathing space for the reader to use their own imagination.

The Sunne in Splendour
The Sunne in Splendour
by Sharon Kay Penman

1.0 out of 5 stars Laboured prose., 27 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Sunne in Splendour (Paperback)
Have to agree with the reviewer who said it was shallow and contrived. The book treats the reader as if they have very little intuition or intelligence of their own. At no point in the dozen or so pages I read did I feel as though I was being allowed to use by own imagination. Every damn thing is spelled out out for you. It's like a children's book. It's a very long book, so presumably there's a lot of historical detail but I just couldn't get passed the laboured prose.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2011 8:42 PM BST

The Byo Split Series Vol.1
The Byo Split Series Vol.1
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.24

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for Leatherface, 18 Nov 2007
Even better than I expected. I only bought this album for the Leatherface half (the Hot Water Music half was poor- especially the singing. I don't expect Pavorotti when listening to punk but I do have some standards.) 3 of the 6 Leatherface tracks are unsurpassed by ANY group ("Andy", "Wax Lyrical" and "Gang party") even Leatherface themselves. If you haven't heard Leatherface for god's sake buy this album now. Then buy Mush, Horsebox, Fill Your Boots (if you can find it)and anything else they have done.

Fill Your Boots
Fill Your Boots

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD LUCK FINDING THIS GEM, 8 Sep 2007
This review is from: Fill Your Boots (Audio CD)
THE MUT'S NUTS. AS ROUGH AS THE UK SUBS OR THE SUBHUMANS (yuk) IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT BUT IF YOU WANT MUSIC ITS GOT THAT AS WELL. BEATEN BY ONLY BY MUSH AND HORSEBOX BY THE SAME GROUP. FORGET SLF, THE JAM, UK SUBS, SUBHUMANS ETC

Rocket to Russia: Remastered and Expanded
Rocket to Russia: Remastered and Expanded
Price: 5.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Sub Bon Jovi, 25 Aug 2007
Embarassing. Limp. Like a wet lettuce.etc. This is supposed to be punk? If you think I'm being too harsh have a look at the video of this lot doing "Blitzkrieg Rock" on YOUTUBE. The punters at the front are sitting at tables, probably eating chicken in a basket. Compare them to Sex Pistols videos, who's sitting down watching The Pistols?? Ever seen a table at Sex Pistols gig? The Ramones were cabaret pussies.
Comment Comments (24) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2014 12:12 PM BST

Chrome
Chrome
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: Chrome (Audio CD)
Dangerously close to "soft rock" at times but I still love most of this album. "Strange Fruit" , "The Nude", "Ursa Major" but most of all I love "Fripp". It's better than all the "fripperies" I've ever heard from King Crimson - it gives me the shivers; love it, love it.

Another Kind of Blues
Another Kind of Blues
Price: 16.16

1.0 out of 5 stars desperate, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: Another Kind of Blues (Audio CD)
This is supposed to be their masterpiece! My God! Maybe two songs are ok (you can listen to them) but the rest is unbelievably bad. They only get away with this crap cos their nearest competitors were Sham 69. Try Leatherface and forget this sub "Oi" dross.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 4:38 PM BST

Day The Country Died [VINYL]
Day The Country Died [VINYL]

1.0 out of 5 stars Unlistenable, 11 Aug 2007
Effing dreadful. I don't care how "political" "right-on" and passionate it is, this CD is unspeakably bad.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2012 11:05 PM GMT

All Mod Cons
All Mod Cons
Price: 7.02

2.0 out of 5 stars LAZILY OVERATED, 29 April 2007
This review is from: All Mod Cons (Audio CD)
MUST BE GOOD COS IT'S THE JAM INNIT? WELL SORRY, BUT NO, ONE GOOD SONG DOESN'T MAKE A GREAT OR EVEN GOOD ALBUM. ALL THE PEOPLE WHO GIVE THIS ALBUM 4 OR 5 STARS SHOULD HAVE A LONG HARD HONEST THINK ABOUT HOW INSPIRING THIS ALBUM REALLY IS. PERSONALY, LISTENING TO IT NOW 25 YEARS OR SO SINCE I FIRST HEARD IT, I FIND IT DULL AS DITCH WATER. HAS A MORE BANAL SONG THAN "IT'S TOO BAD" (LYRICALLY OR MUSICALLY) EVER BEEN WRITTEN? I DOUBT IT. ENGLISH ROSE MAKES MY TOES CURL. DULL, DULL, DULL.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2014 12:18 PM BST

Mush
Mush

5.0 out of 5 stars best punk of 90's, 9 April 2007
This review is from: Mush (Audio CD)
I'm updating this review because I've noticed that my review has been voted as unhelpful no less than 3 times! Well whoever's voted my review as unhelpful, have you got the gumption to do your own review of "Mush" where you can also tell me where I've gone wrong with mine? Have you actually even heard "Mush"? I'm not sure how mine could be an unhelpful review; I only said what every person who hears this album ever says ie. Mush is one of the best (and most neglected) albums ever. Anyway my original review follows.....
"Why isn't "Springtime" by Leatherface as well known as well as "Yesterday" by The Beatles or "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones or "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zep? Seriously, I really don't know why!! I remember Mark Radcliffe playing it back in the early 90's and I've finally got hold of "Mush". Leatherface's "Mush" and "Horsebox" are the best things since The Sex Pistols. Everyone has the right to know about Leatherface: I've just told you - the rest is up to you!!! Please buy "Mush" and "Horsebox!!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2009 1:25 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2