Profile for Zaim > Reviews

Sony Xperia Z2 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Sony Xperia Z2 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Offered by Prime Shopping

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek Design, Superb Build, 18 May 2014
Pros - Build Quality, Sound Quality, Camera, IP Rating, Performance, Design

Cons - None

I upgraded from the Xperia Z1 and I must say I'm impressed, it may not be a massive upgrade but the tweaks/enhancements are certainly worth it.

The speakers on the Z2 are much better than the Original Z and even the Z1, it may not be class leading but they're certainly not bad.

The Display is amazing, excellent colour reproduction, very good viewing angles, the only thing I have noticed is the screen is a tad reflective, not really an issue unless you're in direct sunlight all the time, even then whack the brightness up and you can still see the screen perfectly fine.

Moving onto the Camera, 4K video recording is a breeze, nice highly detailed picture, lots of camera settings to play with, extremely happy with this.

Sound quality (Headphones) I have to say Sony have done a really good job with the sound quality via headphones, nice detailed and punchy. I even sold my walkman as I was quite surprised how good the sound was. (Using the Sony XBA-H3)

Battery life on this is also great, you can easily get through a whole day with this thing, on average I manage to get over 6 hours of screen on time with auto brightness set to medium (ish). I do have stamina mode on too which does help to preserve the battery when the screen is off.

Overall I'm very happy with the phone, its well worth buying.

Xperia Z2 Screen Protector - Invisible Defender [3 Front+1 Back/MAX HD CLARITY] Lifetime Warranty High Definition (HD) Clarity Film Screen Protector (4-Pack) for Sony Xperia Z2
Offered by Ringke Official UK Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Rainbow effect, 4 May 2014
I'm not sure if I received a dodgy set of screen protectors but this screen protector introduces the Rainbow effect, its extremely annoying as you can clearly see it at nearly every angle you hold the phone, its more apparent in daylight.

I tried all three and it turned out to be the same, I've now put on a screen protector made by Spigen "Spigen Sony Xperia Z2 Screen Protector [Crystal Clear]" and its much better, no rainbow effect etc.

iGadgitz Black Glossy TPU Case for Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 + Screen Protector
iGadgitz Black Glossy TPU Case for Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value For Money, 4 May 2014
For £2.29 you can't go wrong, this case has all the necessary cut outs unlike many other cases, many seem to miss out the magnetic charging port.

This does have a glossy finish so its a bit of a finger print magnet, its pretty easy to clean though.

Overall i'm happy with the purchase, adds a decent amount of protection to the phone for only a few pounds.

Belkin MixIt Colour Range 0.9m Flat Right Angle AUX Cable - Black
Belkin MixIt Colour Range 0.9m Flat Right Angle AUX Cable - Black
Offered by BESTBUYIT

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Quality Cable, 14 Jan. 2014
For £7 its a decent quality cable, I would have expected it to have gold plated connectors at least. The main issue I have with this is the rather large right angle connector, it gets in the way of my Sony Tablet Z/Xperia Z and my sound card (PC), I honestly can't see why it has to be oversized.

I'll give this 3/5 due to the two things mentioned above.

Sony Desktop Charging Dock for Xperia Z - Black
Sony Desktop Charging Dock for Xperia Z - Black
Offered by Handyparadise UK (Tax included)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Does What It Says On The Tin!, 7 Aug. 2013
There isn't much to say about this to be honest, its a nice looking charging dock for the Xperia Z, doesn't come with any cables but that's not really an issue In my opinion, you should already have the power adapter/usb cable you got with the phone. It is a little on the expensive side but its nothing extreme, if you have £400+ to spend on a phone surely £20 on a charging dock isn't going to break the bank ?

The Phone fits the dock perfectly fine, before I purchased it I wasn't sure if it would be stable, its perfect, doesn't move about thanks to a nice fit and rubber feet on the bottom of the dock.

Note, if you're using a case the charging dock won't work, the dock isn't made to cater for a case on the phone. This is a minor inconvenience (in my opinion)

Other than that its well worth the purchase.

Corsair Force GT 240 GB SATA III/6G SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - CSSD-F240GBGT-BK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 May 2013
I purchased two 240GB Force GT's approximately 2 years ago, they have been rock solid ever since, never had a problem with them. They are still up there with the best in terms of performance and reliability. Performance wise these perform extremely well in sequential read/write and do very well in random read/write speeds, obviously the newer top end ones will be better but in real world terms you won't notice the difference. Going from a SATA 2 SSD to a SATA 3 SSD you might notice the difference.

Overall I'm very happy with these drives, I wanted to get the latest Neutron GTX but its a little out of my price range at the moment.

Highly recommended, don't forget Corsair's customer service is outstanding unlike some.

Sony Walkman NWZZ1050R 16GB Android MP3/Media Player, NWZ-Z1050 RED
Sony Walkman NWZZ1050R 16GB Android MP3/Media Player, NWZ-Z1050 RED

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Android MP3 Player, 19 Mar. 2013
For £120 you simply can't go wrong if your looking for a excellent sounding Android MP3 player, I purchased this to so I could use Spotify, I was using it on my phone but decided I wanted a dedicated MP3 player, And I'm glad I went a head and purchased this, the sound quality is really good, The enhancements really do work and bring out extra clarity in the music, after hours of listening to music using this Sony player I didn't like it when I tried my phone again (HTC Sensation XE).

I originally purchased a Ipod Touch 5th gen, I wasn't that impressed with it to be honest considering its £250, I sent it back after I listened to the Sony one in action.

I haven't tried the included earphones as I've been using my own (XBA 4 and XB41EX).

The only downside to this really is the battery life, its not great but I wouldn't say its Poor either considering it does have a nice big high quality screen. I think I got about 8-10 hours of music out of it, that includes a little browsing (wifi and bluetooth usage).

Overall its a bargain imo, you simply can't go wrong, it's only 16GB (you will never get the full amount on any player) The i pod touch only had 28gb usable out of 32GB.

Integral SD (Secure Digital) Single Slot Reader
Integral SD (Secure Digital) Single Slot Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Card Reader For The Price!, 11 Mar. 2013
I was after a decent card reader and came across this, I was originally looking at Kingston's offering which is USB 3 and has dedicated slots for various cards.

I thought I'd give this ago since it was only £2.87, I'm glad I did, Its worked perfectly fine with Microsd and SD cards, currently got a 16GB microsd card in it with the SD Adapter, copying speeds are great.

So if anyone is looking for a decent card reader give this ago, if you want dedicated card slots then check out the Kingston.

Overall I'm happy with this item, arrived in amazon's frustration free packaging.

Netgear Ready Nas NV+ 4 Bay Gigabit Desktop Network Storage System
Netgear Ready Nas NV+ 4 Bay Gigabit Desktop Network Storage System

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent NAS, 4 Feb. 2013
After a lot of research I went ahead and purchased this NAS, it was the only one that was under £200 that ticked the boxes for me. I was originally going to go for a HP Microserver that everyone seems to love, The issue for me was that I only wanted a NAS, getting the microserver in my opinion just didn't seem like the right choice, what's the point in buying one of those when you won't use it to its full potential ? and at the time the cashback offer had expired meaning it would have cost me £80+ more than this Netgear NAS.

In the end I ordered the NV+ V2, and I'm glad I did, its nice and compact, the build quality is outstanding, its next level compared to my old D-Link DNS 320. I set the NAS up with 4x3TB WD RED drives, It took about 8-9 hours to sync (XRAID2 aka RAID 5) one thing people said was that the NAS is loud, that certainly isn't the case for me, the fan has yet to spin up past the idle speed (1365rpm) its slightly audible when you are right next to it, but you can barely hear the thing in my living room, its surprisingly quiet. I even purchased a Noctua Fan to replace it which was a waste Lol.

I wasn't too happy with the write/read speeds of the DNS 320 hence the upgrade to the Netgear (plus I needed the extra bays), After the RAID setup had finished I copied a 30GB Single file from my PC to the NAS, I got between 38-42MB/s Write speed, now this is pretty good in my opinion, especially compared to my old Nas, the read speeds are outstanding though, I copied the same file back from the NAS to my PC at 85MB/s. So I'm very happy with those speeds and when you consider this NAS only costs £158 its pretty damn good value for money.

Netgear have done a excellent job with this NAS, the Interface is nice and easy to use, lots of options to choose.

Also for anyone wondering this is the latest Model aka V2 (RND4000-200EUS) the 100EUS is the Old NV+

So yeah this gets the thumbs up from me, I highly recommend this Unit if you are looking for a good value for money NAS.

Sony Smart 3D BDPS490 Blu-ray Player (Old model)
Sony Smart 3D BDPS490 Blu-ray Player (Old model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Awesome, Excellent PQ/SQ, 28 Jan. 2013
I purchased this to replace my WD TV Live, I was having a few issues where the player would randomly restart/crash and refuse to play files. I decided to just buy a dedicated Blu-ray player, surprisingly it supports nearly all the files the WD TV Live does. It plays MKV, M2TS etc.

The play is nice and quiet when playing back via Blu-ray disk, the menu is nice, it's not the fastest menu system but its not what I'd call slow either.

The player has loads of picture and sound settings, I was quite happy when I noticed it played back HD Audio such as DTS-HD via DLNA/USB, this is something the WD TV Live doesn't do, this player supports All HD Audio formats (You need to use HDMI and not Optical/Coaxial), so its a big Plus imo. It has no issue's playing back files via USB or DLNA, there were 2 MKV's that didn't play but after using TSMuxer to mux the file to M2TS it played fine.

The player also supports Lovefilm which isn't bad at all, it also support's netflix in 5.1 (Lovefilm isn't 5.1 unfortunately, there are some other movie streaming apps built in.

So overall the player is a bargain for under £100 imo, the sound quality is great, picture quality is actually a bit better than the WD TV Live. At this point there really is no point in going for the WD unless you really don't want a Blu-ray player.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3